Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Fab'in a Rally rack, couple of ?s...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, Mar 9, 2002.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I\'m Fab\'in a Rally rack, couple of ?s...

I am fabbin up a rally rack to take the spot of the factory unit sitting on my hard top. Dimensions are 42"/50"/6" (W/L/H). I am planning on using the factory holes, but fabbing my own mounts and using new harware. Does anyone know what the tops are rated at for strength? I plan on running a Polaske/Shovel/Hi-lift/ammo cans up there full time, but I will be putting some more serious weight up there once the racing season starts around here. I will be carrying toolboxes and my MX gear up there, and possibly a 33" spare on steel rim. Will I have any problems? The rack itself shouldn't weigh more that 50 lbs, as I am using thin wall steel tubing..1"x1". TIA...
    Later...Allan

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m Fab\'in a Rally rack, couple of ?s...

Allan, what are you going to do with the factory one? What height is it TOTAL from the hardtop up...............if it is the one I have in mind, I might be interested in buying it from you.

One thing is it has to still let me pull the truck in the garage............../forums/images/icons/cool.gif..........working on the rig out in the cold is not my idea of fun.

3. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yah, it's the factory chrome piece. I dunno exact measurements, but my guess is, it is less than 4"! I will go out tomorrow and measure it. My one problem is that I will no longer be able to park my beast in the shop at night! I guess I'm gonna have to live with that! I was also considering make quick disconnect mounts so I can pull it off, and leave it off during the week, then slap it on friday night or whatever to use on trail rides! I am taking my time on this project, don't have a lot of time to fab the rack, so it'll be a lil while...that rack is yours if you want it, you've got dibs. Lemme know.
    Later...Allan

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I just saw one today with a tire on top. I'm not sure what the roof on a blazer is constructed of but the rack on my suburban is connected to the roof at 8 points using rubber wellnuts and is rated to hold 500 pounds. I weigh three hundred pounds and its held both me and the gear I was putting up there. The weight is pretty evenly distributed.

My rack measures 5' x 7' but wish it was a foot longer just for looks.
    Tom