Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm fixing to go postal on my engineering professor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by afroman006, Oct 19, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm sitting here in engineering 111 and the prof is a woman who has to be at least 80 and wears her belt around her tits. We are learning autoCAD and today we are doing isometric drawings. Shes going through this **** so fast nobody can keep up. I am hoping for her sake I can look this stuff up in the text book later, otherwise her ass is grass.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I had to bring asperin when I had to do AutoCAD. We basically had to figure it out ourselves. I would get frustrated and swear, and yell, and get headaches. I know how to do the basics. Stick with it though.

ProEngineer is a lot harder...

3. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Seems to me that every CAD course I have had has been how you explained. Wait until they just give you an assignment and say see you at the end of the semester.

Like Randy said just wait until you get into ProE or Solidworks.

At first I never thought that I would get very far with it and now I am sitting at work posting on CK5... I mean drawing up an ore stacker. :doah:

Just stick with it, good trade to be in. :D

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

AutoCad isn't all that bad. At least it's fairly easy to learn by yourself and if you've had a little experience with it it's a breeze.

Some of the more advanced ones on the other hand... :crazy:

If it makes you feel any better there are a couple of my engineering prof's that I would like to off as well :D

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

There are a few I'd like to punch in the face. Just gotta make it to June and I'm done.:rolleyes:

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

it sounds like the stupid obvious answer, but get a book on the software you are using. it really helps. at work, we are switching from proE 2001 to wildfire in '06, and i'll be picking up a book to help me out.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Why are they even teaching AutoCAD? You should be in something 3D like SolidWorks or ProE.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe '05 and '06 are 3d.

I'm supposed to take a course in solidworks when I get a little higher up.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah autoCAD is like a stepping stone to more advanced programs. A few weeks ago we were doing MatLab. Now that program SUCKS. Is bascially a graphing calculatior with harder commands.

10. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Until I read this, I had forgotten learning CAD. I started with AutoCAD R11, which was completely different than the new stuff (whatever version it is now). I never found it hard though. Actually, I enjoyed it, and maybe that was the difference.
    I have been using SolidWorks for the last 7+ years, and love it. Once you understand the basics, it becomes really easy to pick up additional features with practice.
    I tried to learn Pro/E (Wildfire) this summer, and was humbled by how hard it was. Actually, it wasn't that it is "hard", rather it is outdated and a hassle to do even the simplest of commands. What a MAJOR POS software package. They really need to change some things so it is more user friendly, as I think they have the kernel to work off of. Th GUI just sucks though. I was ready to throw my keyboard and mouse though the window!
    Stick with it though, once you start learning the basics, it should fall into place! AutoCAD is a good basic program to get started with, and lays the foundation for future Parametric solid programs like SW and Pro/E.
    As for MATLAB, I used it a lot also in school, and therefore like it very much. It is a VERY capable program when it comes to graphics processing, linear algebra, controls, data processing, etc. Again, stick with it, it is a great tool!

Joshua

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

They've had 3D for quite a while, but compared to SW and ProE it sucks. Parametric modeling is the current best idea.

Jolane, my sympathies. Work sent me off to learn ProE2001 last Feb. I've been using SW since 2000 and ProE2001 sucked. The "Are you sure?", "Are you really sure?", Are you really, really sure?" sequential boxes got old in the first day.
    Classic anal engineer must have designed that GUI. BTW, I'm self-taught on SW using their tutorials. I seriously doubt you can do that in AutoCAD.