Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm getting a reputation for clouds of smoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 4, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

One year ago... Northport 4th of July Mud Race... my Orange Blazer leaves a huge cloud of smoke, but takes 3rd place in it's class despite bad rings and valve seals.

This year, I throw together a motor from an existing .060 over shortblock, with 98cc chamber heads, Comp 280 cam and Edelbrock gear drive. Basically, I took all the "good" parts remaining from my blown motor in May, and swapped it into another shortblock.

I got it in the GMC and running Friday night, then friend's came up and lit off about $650 in fireworks. Saturday morning, the truck wasn't ready yet, so I just took an '80 Chevy on 36's over to run it.
    [​IMG]

It was more of a mud drag (not deep), so it was based on acceleration; Run by double elimination. I was immediately elliminated twice, then tried to help out as I could the rest of the day.

That night, I decided to leave our camp and go back and get my GMC. Got it brought over by 1am. Sunday morning, I adjusted valves and timed it by ear in a hurry, enough so it ran. The rings in the shortblock were toast, so it smoked horribly.

I wrote "No Smoking Please" and "Got Oil?" on the sides of the truck.

I still got a 3rd place trophy in the Hot Street class. I feel it was kind of by default. Nothing I have accelerates fast. Everything I have is big and heavy and slow. I bet I was the heaviest truck there, but the two of the 5 in the class broke.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was still a fun weekend.
    [​IMG]

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

None the least you did good and had fun. Love the blue and white truck. Same colors as my K5. Wish mine was that height. :saweet:

3. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

And the adventure continues in the great north west :D

That truck just has that tough look to it like it is just ready to turn a tire :waytogo:

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Man I wish I had enough spare parts laying arround to just "through" a motor together.

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

yeah no kidding.

wish i could just "slap one together" and run in a day.

6. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have three 350's just sitting. My original (needs to be rebuilt) and two more in the engine bays of other vehicles. Start them up and go. Engines are not a prob here. Everything else is.

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

what do you have laying around in the way of a Transfer case. I pay good cash for a fully working and smooth NP208

email me theplat@gmail.com

8. mountainexplorer

Well, I like how I have the truck set up so far. It has a 32-spline 465/205, 14-bolt with Detroit and 60 front open, with 4.56 gears and 39.5" Boggers. It's just a heavy truck though.

I got beat in the mud drags by a Chevy shortbed with a 4" lift and 44" Boggers and a 496 big Block with a TH350; and a built tube framed Jeep with a Corvette 350 totally set up for near anything. It's a nice Jeep... but with a hefty price tag of $80,000 to build.

The Chevy shortbed really impressed me turning 44" Boggers with 4.10 gears. I think I might invest in putting together a "good" motor... maybe a 496 also, since I saw what it could do.

In the open mud bog pit, I broke my rear u-joint on my last pass, which was probably good cause it kept me from potentially breaking more if I'd have kept making more passes. That and I probably used 2 quarts of oil already since I filled up when I started.

9. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Was that the same motor you built in camp?

10. mountainexplorer

It was the same heads, cam, intake and gear drive that were on that motor. Just all swapped onto another existing shortblock. I did my best to flush out all the metal shavings from the oil in the heads and parts off the other motor before bolting it all onto this one. As I had expected, none of the bearings survived the "upside down on a tire on the side of the road" bottom end rebuild. Two rods spun the last I drove it, and the rest looked scorched from being too tight. I didn't use plasti-gauge or check clearances; just torqued them all down. When I fired it, it seemed too tight... but I ran it again at over 6 grand several times.

This shortblock is holding the RPMs, but not the oil.

One thing I was impressed with was the Luk clutch I bought. I dropped and hit it hard and it never once slipped. I decided to go buy a Luk Pro Gold kit after my experience with a Luk disc that I got used 2.5 years ago, ran behind a 396 turing 40" tires for 2 years, and now have in my Crew Cab tow rig and it still doesn't slip.