Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm getting kinda depressed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, I decided to change my major in college, which is good, but at the same time, it's bad. I wanted to change it because firefighting has become my life, so I decided to change from majoring in Criminal Justice to Fire Science. This is good because it's what I enjoy, I know I'll excel in it, and it'll help me in my career choice. It's bad because it required changing schools, so I withdrew from Appalachian State before the current semester began. I have been bored as hell ever since.

I got to work, then depending on the day, I either come home or go to my EMT class. I don't hang out with my friends that are up here much because they're in class or doing homework. I'm not a part of the social pipeline of this college town, so my weekends are fairly bland as well. I can't start my Fire Science classes until January because I turned in my application too late, so I don't have that occupying my time either. I just go to work, then come home and sit at this computer. We don't have cable because my roomie didn't want it, and I'm not going to pay for it by myself. I only own 12 DVD's and I've watched them repeatedly until I could probably recite them word for word. The games I have for PS2 I have beaten or become bored with. Like Leann Rimes sings in her song, "Something's gotta give."

I have applied for a fulltime firefighting position in Wilmington, NC. I'm putting so much hope on getting that job. I want it to "rescue" me from this life I'm living right now.

Blah. Thanks for reading my thoughts!

2. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

hang in there bro,it will get better,There is a Mudbog down here Saturday .ride on down and check out the action!

3. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

What's to be depressed about? boredom is a choice.. be happy you get to make a career out of something you are excited about.

Don't waste your time being miserable about stupid crap that doesn't matter.

Tom

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Sound advice I second that...;)

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's not a choice. I don't make enough money for me to get out and do anything. Everything around here costs because it's a damn tourist location...

I can't make a career out of it yet. No one has hired me. I just have a lot going on and I can't get out of it easily nor without making someone mad or leaving a gaping void.

They depend on me so much at work, but I hate the pieces of junk that I'm subjected to work on, then I have the boss riding my ass to get it done even though we don't have the parts to repair it. He's a jackass to his wife who basically runs the place. He's lazy and fat. She does the yardwork at home, cooks, cleans, runs the shop, and whatever else needs to be done while he skips out on work and rides around the countryside, kissing his mother's ass a little more. The other mechanic is having some health and family problems and hasn't worked a full week in quite some time. There's the possibility that he may be out for a while if he needs surgery, so all of this responsibility is falling on me. It happened earlier in the year when he was out, but it was out of season so there wasn't much to get done. I can't just up and leave because they don't have another mechanic, and finding one that has the skills I possess would be rare. That's a conceited statement, but I know that I'm good at what I do. The customers that call and ask for me specifically from surrounding counties has proven that to me.

Then there's the EMT class. I'm halfway through it, so quitting it now would be ridiculous. It's a required course for any fulltime firefighter, so I'll have to have it eventually. It takes place twice a week from 6-10 PM, so there goes my nights on those days, and missing a class puts you so far behind that I can't take any kind of extended vacation.

I know I'm whining, but I have no options right now.

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Keep your eyes on the goal of your firefighting career. Focus on school, and apply at more than one department.

In the short term, either find a different job, or do all you can to make the job you have better.. for instance, you can always outhustle and outshine the other mechanic, so he's expendable, and you take his hours.

look at the BS you are going through as a learning experience, and know that if you don't give school all you've got, you'll be stuck at jobs like that working for idiots the rest of your life.

It's much easier to deal with idiots if you are in a career you like ( they follow you, trust me.) .. you just have to be uncomfortable for a bit until you get there.

Tom

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

At least you didn't go enlist in the military and find out halfway through your tech training what you wanted to do :deal:

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm kind of in the same boat right now, but not bored. I'm going through a job I'm beginning to really dislike because I know it's a step toward a better gig in a year or two.
    As others have said, that's what you have to focus on, the future. This is the crappy period before getting what you want. Don't mind what's going on right now, cause right now is insiginificant when you're working toward a goal like that.

But I can understand that you're bored. When all else fails, get a library card. Books are timeless, and arent' going anywhere any time soon.

As Yoda said "Boredom leads to Depression. Depression leads to hate. Hate leads to anger. Anger is the path to the dark side." or something like that.

9. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Better to figure out now what you want to do then after five years of college and still not have anything done, and the only reason you are going is to get the piece of paper on your wall and justify the $30,000 of student loans you have.