Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm getting the 60/14, what now???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCJimmy, Sep 6, 2003.

1. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I\'m getting the 60/14, what now???

Getting the 60/14 combo soon. Planning on going thru the axles before installing 'em. I've searched the subject some, and believe rebuilding them now is the way to go.

Done some searches for info, anybody have advice (what not to do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) for this process.

I'm not asking how to rebuild them, just for comments on what others ran into when they built theirs.

I have learned the hard ($$$) way to research the [I love Jeeps] out of the truck upgrades before I shell out the loot.

Thinking of doing the crossover now too. But I need to get the axles done before I tackle that.

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: I\'m getting the 60/14, what now???

Well I found a set and for the last 2 months my truck has been up on jackstands. I got a good deal on mine as the donor truck is a 91 crew cab 1 ton and caught on fire and only had 62K on it! But, I went ahead and stripped them all apart, did the re-gear thing(4.88), put in new bearings, seals, etc, rear locker in the 14B and so on. I am doing crossover now too while its tore apart and it will be about Oct. 1 when it gets back on the road. Hopefully. The only thing I wish I had done is had the money at the time for a front locker, but that will have to wait. I have found parts easily and going through it has been a breeze. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clay
    Bushwhackers Offroad Outfitters
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I haven't touched mine yet, but my intention is to put the steering block on the front, replace the axle u joints, and bolt them in. I'm going to turn the back drums and the rotors and put new pads/shoes/wheel cylinders too.

Later on down the road I may lock the front and go to 35 spline outers and new hubs, but for the time being, I'm just going to slap them under.

4. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your block from?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I didn't get it yet. I have a post in the wanted forum for one. If I don't find one I'll get it from 4WPW. He told me $80 but I bet I can get it out of them for $65 shipped. I always make them cut me deals.