Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm getting worried

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, Dec 28, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well each day that goes by i'm getting better and better. (health) But each day that goes by, i'm getting more and more worried. I'm running out of money real fast. Still jumping through hoops for social security disability. In the mean time i have been trying to find some kind of work. Hospital bills are outrageous, plus the k5 is eating me alive.

Seems no one really wants to hire a guy who has been out of work as long as i have, and that has had as much medical stuff going on as i have. I am really starting to stress out here. and some days i wonder if it was really worth all that i went through, just to be where i am today.

i don't know what i'm saying here. just really stressed, and just need to know that i'm doing the right thing i guess..

p.s. I have gone from 109 lbs to 138lbs whoo hoo!!!

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you do not have to disclose anything about your medical condition on a job application

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

well that is true, but I feel that I should. What if i was working somewhere and I had a relaps? and i just droped to the floor..they would probably freek out one, and two, might not know what to do.. So personally i feel its best to be up front with them "hey this is whats happened, this is whats going on...etc"...

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not bad to be honest, but if you drop to the floor you will more likely than not be leaving the job for a while anyway. Better IMO to get a job while you are healthy, not disclose the past health problems, pray that they stay in the past and do such a good job that your employer will be willing to help you or hold your job if you do have a relapse.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Your never going to get hired if you lay your past problems out in the interview. Your intentions are admirable and altruistic but detrimental in the short term. Go into the interview as a well rounded go-getter with no problems, you'll walk out employed.

6. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

yes then after you get the job tell them this is what happened so if i hit the floor do this..... good luck. and god speed

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

So you guys telling him to not disclose the past medical info, what should he tell them when they ask why he has a long period with no employment?

I don't know all the laws, but I do know most employers can and will ask why there is a long period without employment on your resume. My suggestion would be to tell them it was a medical problem, don't go into specific details, and tell them you are medically cleared to return to work (as long as this is true).

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Not voluntarily. If they ask tell them. However, if he goes into a full blown sob story about his past medical problems then 9 times out of 10 a potential employer will just toss his resume in the trash the minute he walks out. Employers don't want to deal with that garbage, they want someone that's ready to rock and get the job done.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not to intentionally hide things or lie, but there is no need in telling if no one asks and there is no need to make a big deal out of it.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

clue me in???

Maybe its only here that you can't collect disability AND be employed at the same time?? (unless you work "under the table"!)...legally,I think its very limited as to how much "disability" you can claim if your able and willing to work,most likely they will NEVER give you any disability benifits,if they see you can support yourself somehow..

"Welfare" is what you might get if your ABLE to work,but can't find a job..Food Stamps too maybe..

Here they only let those who are able to do only limited work,a limited amount of money to be made, before they start taking it away from your disability benifits....and are very stingy about WHO gets disability,and for what reason..they drag cases out for years,hoping you'll die or give up before they have to pay you any benifits..it sucks..:mad:

I just visited my doctor today...told him I've been very depressed,and my legs and back have been going numb on me a lot lately..I can only wear sneakers,my boots feel like cinder blocks,and I can't even stand up for more than an hour before my back ties into a knot..

We had talked earlier about me getting disability..he scoffs at the idea,and prescribes "naproxen" (Alleeve) and "Ibuprofin" (Advil)..which only serves to make my stomach nauseous and offers little or no pain releif.. About 2 months ago he suggested I see a shrink,that maybe the depression would be a way to get disability..but I told him no..I'm not mental..YET!!:rolleyes: ..but each day I get a bit closer..

I refused to see a shrink--,not only does my medicaid not cover any of those doctors,I'm only depressed mostly because my mom could pass away any day..and I have less than 100 bucks to my name,and owe her 240 bucks for my car insurance the past 2 months...that fact hasn't improved my relationship with her at all..for christmas I could only give her 10 bucks,and a 10 dollar lottery ticket..which was a loser of course..:mad:

I am sitting on a powder keg of impending disaster myself..any minute I could find myself out of a home,and facing the loss of everything I've known and owned..including my garage,which I bought and built myself..now I'm too physically unfit to do very much in it..:(

And yeah,having no job or income does wonders for your self-esteem,and makes you look real cool in front of your peers too...since I have no means of support,naturally my mother despises me,and will likely leave the house and estate to my siblings,not me,the black sheep "bum" of the family,who will "lose it, and not pay the bills"....her constant bitching and put downs ,and resentment of the fact I stay here and have to drive her everywhere and do all the work,are 95% of the reason I'd like to fall asleep and not wake up anymore..:mad: ..being winter and cooped up inside makes it much worse too..

I really hope you find a solution to your dilema Sheldonblaze..at least your young,time is on your side..be glad your not pushing 50 in 2 years like I will be..it only gets harder as you age..but you won your health battle,don't give up now..the hardest part is over..if you have your health,your a wealthy man.....

I'd just tell a prospective employer "my health is good now,but I DID have a serious condition in the past"...many will be impressed your actually out looking for,and willing to work after that happening..I know I would be!..:crazy:

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

This all sounds like good advice. i think the bigest thing is that a part of me is a little scared, for lack of a better word. its been awhile since i have been a member of the work force. and I often wonder if i will be able to do all the things that i used to do.
    I don't know why, but my bigest thing is that I don't want to let anyone down. I don't want someone to hire me, and then for me to find out that i don't "have what it takes" anymore. I don't really know. its actually kinda hard to put into words exactly how i feel.
    stressed is the best way i can describe it..

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I know..how WELL i know!!....

I know EXACTLY how it feels man!..I should be able to strut into ANY parts store and take charge of the place..I used to run a few single handed practically!..but I left the "real" retail working world in 1994 in favor of self employment..built a big garage on my parents land,and tried fixing small engines for awhile..did pretty good the first 4 years or so..then it all changed drastically..

After making the big mistake of moving back in with my parents in 1986,when my dad was forced into early retirement by Parkinsons disease and stomach ulcers,then my mother getting sick just before he died in 2000,wiped out my dreams of having my own bussiness..she sold half the property that I was supposedly going to buy ,my dad wanted me or my siblings to have it..not her sell it..but now a yuppie castle stands where I once mowed the 2 acre field for 20 years..:mad:

I walk into a store now,and I feel just like I did at 19,looking for my first job!..only I feel 10 times more nervous,and inadequate now than I did 28 years ago..a LOT has changed the 11 years I've been out of the parts stores..computers are way different,a hundred new "sensors" and parts I never dealt with..but I notice the overworked counter guys and low pay scale hasn't changed much..I also was never asked to piss in a cup,or give a hair sample just to get a job interveiw either!..:mad:

I feel exactly as you do..I SHOULD be getting disabilty,if you ask many of my former employers,friends,and family..many scold me for not having applied years ago..especially when they see many fakers and druggies getting a free ride..and me having legit physical problems with my spine,legs,and having had testicular cancer 4 years back..did ok until I hit 40 or so..been downhill steadily (and rapidly too!) since..

I'd like to not sit on my butt all day and watch soaps and get my paychecks from a mailbox if possible..But I'd also hate to get a job,tell the boss "yeah,I can handle this"..and a short time later find I cannot physically or emotionally "take it"..and have to quit!--making a liar out of myself..my self confidence is at an all time low now..

Plus,it will totally screw up any chance of getting disability!..as crazy as it sounds,if you get a job and have to quit because your unable,it can work AGAINST you..they will find you a "suitable" job,like putting erasers on pencils for 17 dollars a week or something!:screwy: ..but if you stay home and say you cant physically do enough work to survive and keep your bills paid,they either give you SSI or put you on welfare..

BOTH are VERY diffucult to get on,and if you are lucky,with a lawyers assistance you MIGHT get it in a year or less..but its not likely!..you have to go to see their doctors,take tests,etc..

I'd much rather BE ABLE TO WORK!!--but it would have to be for the right person,who can accept my limitations..most employers don't want people like me ,who are nearing 50,and will be wanting,and USING that health insurance policy,sick days,etc..they want a nice young athlete who can run around all day and will work for less money and benifits..

I don't have a clue whats gonna happen to me shortly..thats why I'm up a 3 am on the computer..only sleep 2-3 hours at a time,until the next nightmare wakes me up again..

I hope you can find some way to make it in the world Sheldonblaze..your age is your greatest advantage..use it to your advantage if you can..my "advantage" WAS being a knowledgeable counterman..now a computer replaces my brain..all I have to do at a parts store is to know which button to push now..and say "the computer doesn't list it":rolleyes: ..any one off the street can do it now,thats why it pays the same as flipping burgers..which is a better job ,IMO!..

I see ads for "Auto Mechanics" starting at 20 bucks an hour 1/2 mile from my house..but I'd be lucky to be able bend over under a hood for an hour before I'd need to go rest.I can hardly keep my own "fleet" running,but I can do it at my own pace at home....yeah,I'd really be able to fix cars all day,after being up all night listening to mom cough,and wondering if she'll be alive tomorrow..:doah: ..be glad at least YOUR burdens are the only ones your carrying!..I'm thankful I didn't have any wife,kid(s) or girlfriend to worry about now..:eek1: ..bad enough when its just yourself to worry about keeping alive ..I don't know how all the moms and dads out there do it..:eek1: