Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going 1 ton! The only problem is... how to move the Dana 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Feb 9, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

I\'m going 1 ton! The only problem is... how to move the Dana 60?

This weekend I picked up a Dana 60 for the front... I am completely stoked as you might imagine... I was just wondering... this thing is unbelieveably heavy! Any suggestions on how to move this thing around so I can get it under the truck and stuff? I don't have a variety of hydraulic equipment at my disposal like some of you might, so I'm going to have to be resourceful. Any suggestions?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m going 1 ton! The only problem is... how to move the Dana 60?

i used an engine crane to get them out of my truck, set them on jack stands, then used a floor jack to roll em under the truck. might be able to rent a decent floor jack

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I put the tires on mine and rolled it into place.
    You need TALL jackstands to hold the truck up high enough.
    It took me a good bit of time to do it, but it can be done.
    -- Mike

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

4 guys and some junk tubing is how we moved Scott's when we installed it. Put it on jack stands then drug it to where it needed to go

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Two floor jacks and two guys is how I'd move it around but more often than not I'm by myself. I'd hate to know how much a Dana 60 weighs. I recently acquired a fully-dressed 10 bolt (even has calipers and drag link on it) and I about cried when I lifted it out of the back of my truck and I only went 5 feet with it. It took 4 or 5 days before the muscles on the top of my forearms quit aching.

Anyway, just be careful. We don't need any stories of somebody getting squished by their new toy. I don't imagine there's a whole lot you can do once a Dana 60 decides it's going someplace.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your local tool rental place is your best friend. I rented an engine hoist to get the D60 in and out of the pick-up bed. If my buddy didn't have a good floor jack I would have rented one for moving it under the truck.

It helps to have an extra set of hands, not so much for lifting anything stupid-heavy, just for helping guide it into place and stuff.

For working on the diff itself I got my wife to place a jack stand under the diff as I lifted one side and then the other.

For moving it under the truck to install I used a good sized floor jack under the pumpkin which supported about 80% of the weight. The extra help was needed to help support maybe 50 lbs at the other end and help guide it under the truck. Pretty painless. I'm not a big fan of having a truck on really tall jack stands..it frightens me!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Whatever you do, take your time and think each step through. Hurting yourself ain't worth it!

Rene

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Guess I was a bit different, I did use the tires when doing most of the moving of the axle, but for putting it under the rig I used a furniture dolly. You know, one of those 4 wheel dollies you can get from Home Depot or Lowes for $15 that has carpet on two of the pads? Sat the pumpkin in that and rolled it around. I also used this method (with 2 dollies) when moving the axles in and out of my fence gate.

Works like a charm. Also used this method when moving my 205 around and anything else that is too heavy to carry. Keeps me from breaking the kids wagon!

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A set of spare wheels or wheels with really small tires works good. Just roll the axle around like it was uner the truck. You just have to keep the pinion from tipping down into the floor.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i borrowed two floor jacks and put one under each brake backing plate to move it around

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i got mine out my dads ranger and under my rig by myself. I dobt recommend it... it prolly wasnt very safe. Im a 170 lb, 6' stick man. Basically I used a rented cherry picker to hoist it up... then i chocked the CP and drove out from under the axle. Then i lowered it down so the pumpkin was on a rolling floor jack. With ratchet straps i kept the thing balanced while i rolled it to the front of my rig. You have to be super careful while you do this kinda crap especially if the driveway you're on is sloped or bumpy (in my case, of course, it was both! lol). If it rolls off the floor jack not only could it crush a foot rather easily... but even if it didnt, getting it back up on the floor jack by yourself could be excessively difficult. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif anyway, i got it under there.... raised it up a little, got stands under it, and everything was downhill from there. My back may never forgive me... but screw it, Im 1 ton!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Registered Member

well here is what i done , now im from the woods so yall dont make too much fun of me , i took the frontend laoder on the tractor to lift the front of the truck dropped the dana 44 out and i got on one side of the 60 my friend got on the other side and we slide it under the truck and set it back down with the tractor

12. daimok

daimok Registered Member

i just picked up a 1 ton eaton rear end , being alone all i did to get it out of the truck was to take the tow strap . wrap it aronund a nice large tree in the yard and drive out from under it. Having the axle on a piece of plywood saved the bed from any damage. now if i can just figure out how to lift the blazer up enough to swap it.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well, this is a fun one....
    i picked mine a few weeks ago. removed it from the Jimmy, ALL BY MYSELF... dont do that.... think i got a third nut now....
    rolled it on rims into the garage... well, i lied. one rim and one brake rotor. hey, im replaceing them anyway. up on the jack stands, ALL BY MYSELF... dont do that ethier. . . it goes back to the third nut thing.... then i tore it down to nothing but the housing tubes and carrier with gears. from there, well i had almost recovered from the third nut, BUT now after swinging it around on jack stands 180* around and then about 3 more feet over its under the truck... yeah, but back to the third nut....

i think waht i am trying to say is this. it doesnt balance on a jack very well, unless ya got a tranny jack, then ya can bolt it down. but i dont have one, yet. on top of that, ask for help. no need for freaks with 3 nuts walking around.

besides my driveway no longer looks the same where the axle hit it.....
    but its out of the truck.

good luck to ya.
    Grant

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I wanted to totally inspect my first front 60 so I took it all apart ( down to the bare housing ) and it made putting it under the truck a whole lot easier .
    When I installed one that was complete I called up some friends that owed some favors and had them help .We used a four wheeled flat dolly and a HD roll around jack.
    Have a pizza & beer party and don't feed anyone until the 60 is bolted up ......
    Tom

15. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

Rap a rubber band around your pantleg to catch your balls before they hit the ground /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Rap a rubber band around your pantleg to catch your balls before they hit the ground

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I'd had that info before I loaded up a closed-knuckle Dana 70 front into my truck (by myself) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I managed to lift up the "light" end, and rest it on the back edge of the box. Then pull it in with a come-a-long.

Bare rims on an axle are good for rolling it under a truck - providing the brakes aren't seized /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Well this is what I ended up doing... I guess this may look a little weird in an apartment complex carport. I hoisted the axle up a bit, just enough so my buddy could roll forward clearing the axle from the bed.

18. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Looks like some strange sacrificial ritual. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Pray to the altar of the DANA 60!!

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Do I detect a "bow" in that joist??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif