Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going Nuckin Futs!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88trailblazer, Oct 1, 2005.

1. 88trailblazer

88trailblazer 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal, I blew the head gaskets a few weeeks ago. I had the head rebuilt and I reinstalled them already. I also took advantage of the mess and installed a new set of Headman headers.

The problem is the now the truck wont start. As far as I can tell its something electrical. The fuel pump, injectors, head lights, horn, radio, int and dash lights are not getting power.

I bypass the fuel pump relay and the pump worked but the tbi doesn't. I checked the fuse box and everything has power except for the following:
    - HORN/DM
    - ECMB
    - T/L CTSY
    - INST LAMP

I've already tried every thing that can think of :1zhelp: . And to make this even more frustating I also bought a Milemarker 9000 winch, new 35' Mud Kings and front and rear gears. So I'm dying to get this on the trails already.

Please help. Any ideas would be great. I'm sure that this will be something stupid that I overlooked

2. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I'm just taking a shot here but.... "ECMB" sounds importand to me, I would think Electronic Controll Modual B* :thinking:

3. 88trailblazer

thats what i'm thinking also. There was also a fuse labeled ECM1. This one had power but not the ECMB

4. 88trailblazer

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

all of those get power from the same place(inst lps gets power from the light switch which gets it from t/l ctsy)

on a 90 those get power on a red wire that connects to the stud on the back of the alternator, make sure you hooked the wire back up and along with the black wire w/red stripe that goes to the batt

and yes, it needs ECMB to run

pm me if you need more help

6. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Not only that but there is a fusible link where it connects to the Alt. Make sure you didn't blow a fusible link.

The injectors are not working because there is no power going to the ECM (engine control module)

7. 88trailblazer

I have it connected with a cable from the positive post to the stud on the back of the alt. There is also a pair of wires with a plug fitting that plugs into the alt. I belive its the internal regulator. I dont see any fusible links though. Where would it be located?

8. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

so both wires are connected to the stud? is the 12v at the stud? the fusable link should be up near the alt.

9. 88trailblazer

I don't see any fusable links on or near the alt. There are a total of three wire connected to the back of the alt.
    1. Black and Red wire from positive on battery to stud behind the alt.
    2. Green wire from plug on alt to domewherre in the wire harness
    3. Black wire from plug to ground alt bracket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

To me sounds like the fuesable link that is located around the center-right area of your firewall. There is one power wire that splits off to two wires right there on the firewall. Check to see if that is blown because that appears to be the problem to me.

11. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also check the firewall fuse box connector. Just give it a wiggle / tighten it up a bit. Sometimes they will come loose, or be in just the perfect position not to conduct, and cause the issues you are having.