Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going to complain about Snap-on tools..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gokartergo, Mar 13, 2003.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I\'m going to complain about Snap-on tools..

I am going to rant a little.... About a year ago when I was rebuilding the motor in Thumper. I bought a air angle grinder from Snap-on. The kind that you put the rubber tip on.. It works great for takin off old gaskets.. I used it that weekend a lot. I oiled it up the whole time.. About 6 months later I used it again. When I replaced some valve cover gaskets on my Blue Blazer.. It had a little trouble starting each time. I had to kinda push it to get going. I went to use it last weekend on my axles.. It was frooze up solid. This was and is my only piece of snap-on tools.. This thing cost me $149.00. When I bought it I realized I couldn't afford anymore snap-on tools. I took it to the snap-on dealer today.. It is 1 year and 3 weeks old. It has a one year warranty. I used this thing 3 times.. I could've bought one from sears for half the price. And if it went bad they would replace it.. I will never own a another over priced Snap-on tool again.. This thing is going to cost me $46.00 to get fixed. Thanks Rant off.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I\'m going to complain about Snap-on tools..

I hate the air tools from Snap-off...but even worse are the arrogant pricks driving the Snap-off trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

3. gokartergo

Yea he pissed me off to. He said it was because I stored it in my tool box.. That I should have either taken the plastic tip off. Or hung it up for storage.. If I would have known they where made that cheap I wouldn't have bought it in the first place..

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ive never understood why those tools are so damn expensive. are you just paying for the name or what? i mean [censored], craftsman may not be the Exotic brandname tool but they are lifetime warranty.... as for the air tools, Home Depot sells them for a good price, cant remember the brand name, campbell hasufield maybe? I remember when i was working at home depot, they said if a customer brings in a broken tool, they would replace it with their brand, i dunno if this applies to air tools or not.......

5. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

Was it a Snap-on brand air grinder or was it an Irrgesol-Rand? The snap-on stuff costs twice as much and is half the quality of IR.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Sorry about your luck with the grinder.
    I have many snap-on tools, some MAC, few S&K, VERY few craftsman. Craftman is not the quality it used too be. The snap-on air tools I bought worked better than the IR available at the time. Snap-ons hand tools are mostly second too none, IMO. I have destroyed way too many craftsman, SK-- even MAC when my tools were my income. When being paid by the job(flatrate) you don't like some second rate socket to split and round off the head of a bolt/nut and waste valuable time. My snap-on air tools are 10yrs old and abused and haven't let me down. The sit more than anything now so condensation is a factor.

I'm not brand loyal totally to snap-on. My small 1/4" stuff is craftsman, low torque. Timing light, MAC. Future diesel timing meter will be MAC. The average back yard mechanic may not need, or afford, snap-on. Buy for the purpose, if you constantly break one or two sockets in craftsman then maybe replace those sizes in more expensive snap-on and see how long they last.

7. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

My Snap-On guy is my best friend in the whole world... If you use your tools every day to make a living, you'd understand. Yeah, their stuff is pricey. But not as pricey as having the tool you need to finish a job being busted. Flat rate mechanics have it even worse. If you spend an hour chasing down tools, you lose like 80 bucks out of your paycheck.

What were you using for air tool oil?

8. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

certain things should never be bought from snap-on,mac,matco, expensive brands, like air tools, I use I.R., or chicago pnumatics, the expensive guys are only good for certain things, alot of there stuff you just pay for the name /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, I just started an account with the mac guy today I want to buy some stuff like ratchets, sockets, hand tools etc., as for air though I have an I.R. gun it hits at 650 ft. lbs. that thing kicks a$$, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well my dads work box is full of snap on tools. He has never had one break on him and he has been wrenching for 25 years. Dont know aboput thier air stuff but thier hand tools are top notch.

10. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

yeh I agree snap-on sh*t is good I love there ratchets and wrenches, they really do work better, maybe the design, but they are smoother working tools. I'd buy snap-on but the snap-on guy in my area is a fawking idiot, I ordered a brake tool kit, waste of money, I paid him, didn't see him for 2 months when he finally showed up I got my stuff and told him not to even bother coming back, so I'll try the mac dude out, there tools are nice also, craftsmen tools work fine but there stuff is a little rough, doesn't work as smooth

11. gokartergo

[ QUOTE ]
    Was it a Snap-on brand air grinder or was it an Irrgesol-Rand? The snap-on stuff costs twice as much and is half the quality of IR.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the blue point brand. Three weeks outta warranty and only used three times.. If I used this thing every day for a living I could understand them saying sorry it is out of warraty.. But the damn stickers where still on it. Alnoh with the same tip I bought at the time I bought it.. He could tell it was hardly used...

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dan, there are many snap-on tool guys around, try a different guy and ask him if he will honor the warranty still. I bet you will find one that will.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a Campbell Hausfeld air sander I abuse daily. I use it as a small grinder which it's technically not built for. The first one i had went 6 years, rarely oiled, lent out and dropped and generally beat on. It finally just quit. I spent $25 on it and didn't have to deal with some dickhead driving a snap-on truck.

I like CP better, but so does the jerk that stole it from a job i was at a few years back.

IR impacts rule.

What I don't understand are the tool whores at some places. You know the guys I mean...spend $7000 on a huge Snap-On box and then fill it with thousands of tools they never use.

I can understand the importance of tools that don't break too, but I have yet to see a Snap-On guy come out and replace a busted tool the same day. We had to boycott the Snap-On guy until he'd warranty one of the guys impacts. 6 months old and it was FUBAR and the Snap-On guy refused to warranty it. After a month of nobody buying from him he grudgingly had it repaired at no cost to the guy.

That is not the kind of service I'd pay a 300% premium for!

Rene

14. gokartergo

He punched in the serial number in the computer. It came up with the date. So I don't think anybody will honor the warranty.. I am paying the $46.00 to get it fixed. But that is it.. I will never buy another Snap-on again.. And when I get this one back. I am going to use it to sand a bunch of chairs that need done.. I am not going to oil it.. I am going to use it for everything I need sanding.. I hope it breaks again in a couple of months.. Then I am going to take it back to him again.. And he better honor a warranty.. Otherwise I will just leave it in his truck.. And tell him how good his products and he is..

15. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I agree. I have never justified the cost of a Snap-on tool. I get along just fine with my "Crapsman" tools. A lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty, no matter what brand you favor.

Just a little bit of info for you guys, if you like the quality of Snap-on, but want to pay the $$ or deal with the drivers, the Kobalt tools sold by Lowe's are made by Snap-On. Same lifetime warranty applies and they cost much less. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

For what it's worth, I bet you would've caught hell from Sears too since I think they also have a 1 year warranty on power tools, but you can usually haggle with sears...in my opinion no one needs to fork over the big bucks for Snap-on grade tools UNLESS your wrench for a living...

17. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Most of my stuff is Craftsman that I have had for years and I can only remember ever breaking two craftsman tools. One was a 5/8 chrome socket I was using on the impact(I know! it was close!) that split down the side. The other was more wore out than broke, 9/16 socket that had probably seen some time on the impact. When I returned them they didn't ask a single question, just "go get you a new one"! You can't beat that for service.

I think a lot of the young guys that get into turning wrenches think that it is a contest to have the biggest box from Snap-On or Mac and have it completely full of every "gee-wizz-cool-what-will-they-think-of-next" tools. They get in debt up to their eyeballs and can never pay off the tool man. I just don't get it!

Mike

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have a dryer on the output line of your compressor? Die grinders consume HUGE quantities of air. As this air is leaving the compressor it gets very cold. So any humidity in the air stream condenses and then the water droplets get into the air motor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif A dryer will capture the moisture before it has a chance to get to your air tools.

I had a Campbell Hausfield mini die grinder die on me within a week one time. But I had used it to port and polish a set of heads, so that poor thing had been running for at least 40 hours in that week. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif One of the bearings seized up. It was a $15 el-cheapo from a hardware store. They gladly replaced it with a new one for me. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

19. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

When I was twisting wrenches, Snap-On Tools were the $hit. I got screwed hard on the impact I bought from Snap-On. The route guy said it was based off IR guts, just stronger. Three months after I bought it, I couldn't get some lug nuts off a car (of all things). I hammered on them for a few seconds and nothing. I barrowed a IR from another tech and zip done! Later I found out from another Route guy the pressure in the line must be higher than 100psi /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif shop pressure was around 85. My best friend (also a tech) talked to his route guy and traded my pos impact and $20 for a IR. The difference is incredible!!! I still think Snap-On is it for hand tools, but never again for air!

Just my $.02 worth.

20. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...Snap On ratchets and screwdrivers are worth their weight in gold compared to Craftsman ones...but as far as the sockets, wrenches, etc... the Craftsman's seem to do the job just fine. I can't count how many times I have busted my friggin' knuckles w/ my Craftsman ratchets...