Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, May 23, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I\'m going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

After taking a second mourgauge (sp?) on my soul, which i had already sold to get the doubler and gears done, I finally get the drivelines done and installed, along with finishing the rear cross member (Thanks Scott!)

I take it out to a local rock formation (decoration on a road) and slap it all into low, lock the hub and start idling over some decent sized rocks.

get off the rocks, and the 205 shift is stuck. No cell fone, no tools, no nothing. Rita is nonplussed at this point.

LIMP it home, 3 miles. FYI, a deee-troit does NOT....EVER turn on the street. lane canges turn into 8 point turns. took me 5 minutes to make a right hand turn.

so now it is broken. looks like no wheeling for me this weekend.

fork it. i want to part the piece of shiet out. i never even get to enjoy it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: I\'m going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

You would soon find something else to make life miserable (interesting???).

It's human nature.

When something like that happens to me I hit my thumb with a hammer. Usually forget about everything else for awhile....
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

What fun would it be if everything worked like it was supossed to? I can understand where you are coming from though. Good luck getting it all fixed!

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: I\'m going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

205's are bad about getting stuck into gear try putting it into reverse and shoving the 205 out of gear mine has gotten stuck so bad i thought i would never get it out lol and i just put it in reverse and pulled hard on the shifter and it finally came out

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

With the doubler and lockers you really have to get the truck in a good mood to get it out of gear. I sometimes have to get rolling at a pretty good pace to get it out...

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With the doubler and lockers you really have to get the truck in a good mood to get it out of gear. I sometimes have to get rolling at a pretty good pace to get it out...

[/ QUOTE ]

could you elaborate on that? what do you need to do?

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I usually "rock" the truck, you don't want to do it to quickly or you can damage the u-joints, but I just put it in reverse, drive and back again hitting neutral each time between shifts and checking if its ready to come out or not. Rolling about 5-6' each time. Sometimes it will just come right out, or sometimes I will have to find a dirt or gravel area and have to get it going at a good pace like 10mph or something and knock it into neutral and give it a try. It can be a real bear sometimes though it just needs to get out of the bound up condition it is in is all, like I said in the right mood. If you force it you can really damage the forks but I think if you give it a try it will come right out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m going to FORKING sell the PIECE OF CRAP!!!! AAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Zakk, 205's are prone to doing that especially with a locker. Just get used to it and once you figure out how to get it out easily it will be fine.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, gettin' a 205 out of low range is a total PIA! Lots of tricks people use, just find what works for you. I've had to rock back and forth, turn the front wheel back and forth, let it roll on it's own down a hill, anything just to get the shift collars to line up and slide. With dual lockers, it's hard to get the bind off. First and foremost, make sure you roll absolutely straight for a little ways with *no* power to minimize the bind, still, that only *helps*... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've spent 15+ minutes fooling with the one that was in my old 75 K5, I swear I got so pissed I nearly broke the shifter off a couple of times. The buggy is actually easier in spite of the 42s and dual lockers, but it can still be a pain...

BTW, twin stick helps too, that way you only have to move one shift collar at a time... Once you get the front disengaged, the range collar is a sinch...

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing like a 205 bound up from a little high traction low range fun...I've had that happen a few times with mine too. I can only imagine how it'd be with a doubler.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The worst I've ever had it was on flat asphalt of all places. Messing around after work a little and it got pretty bound up...took about 10 minutes rolling back and forth before it co-operated. Everyone thought it was broken...how embarassing!/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nothing like a 205 bound up from a little high traction low range fun...I've had that happen a few times with mine too. I can only imagine how it'd be with a doubler.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The worst I've ever had it was on flat asphalt of all places. Messing around after work a little and it got pretty bound up...took about 10 minutes rolling back and forth before it co-operated. Everyone thought it was broken...how embarassing!/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now it is stuck on the street. Do i need to limp it back to the dirt or something?

I thought that it was the linkage being bound. sounds like the collars themselves are what people feel is the problem. so do i go in reverse then pop it into neutral and try to get it to pop out?

my 205 sucks. pops out of 2High, get stuck in 4lo /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mine binds up occaisionally too. Now for the million dollar question - Did you twin stick yours?

If you did, remember when changing gears from lo to hi in the rear, you have to shift the front into neutral. Shift the front into neutral, then you can go from lo to hi in the rear. Takes a bit to get used to and Im sure we will not win any competitions with that setup, but its pretty slick. The cool part is shifting the rear into neutral while on a trail, then turning the wheels to full bumpstop and locking the rear brakes up. The front typically slides over just fine. Makes turning a snap!

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no twin stick. one for the 203 that is sloppy, one on the 205 that is tighter than a nun on Sunday.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would think you could just unlock the front hubs to get rid of any bind.....

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, now it is stuck on the street. Do i need to limp it back to the dirt or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just jack it up so that the front tires are off the ground. That will release the driveline bind and you'll be able to shift again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When out in the boonies, it helps to find some soft stuff to drive on (sand, gravel, mud, etc) to let the tires slip a bit and release the binding, then shift. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. tRustyK5

Well you aren't gonna hurt anything by experimenting...the tires will scrub and stuff before anything could possibly break. I just kept rolling it back and forth while pulling the shifter. Eventually I found the sweet spot...

What I had done was tried to crush a co-workers car on my lunch break (he asked me to...honest!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and the truck was open front and rear at the time. One front and one rear tire spun on the pavement when I got up on the car as far as it was gonna go. Then after backing off it was bound up tighter than a frog's a$$...

I guess you could jack the rear tires off the ground to relieve the bind...prolly easier than trying to find the sweet spot.

Rene

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just jack it up so that the front tires are off the ground. That will release the driveline bind and you'll be able to shift again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Why wouldn't just disengaging the front hubs accomplish the same thing? </font>

18. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i was in some gravel, but it still didn't give. can the linking be too tight.

19. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I got mine all bound up I couldn't unlock the hubs either...all steel Spicers on a D44. I'm not sure if the Warn's or equivalent are any easier to unlock in that situation.

Rene

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I got mine all bound up I couldn't unlock the hubs either...all steel Spicers on a D44. I'm not sure if the Warn's or equivalent are any easier to unlock in that situation.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not...i know from extensive expereince /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif