Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im going to get a lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Mar 3, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

I think im going to do it

86 k5
    i want a full kit with rear springs and shocks

i have 33's and at the most ill get 35's but i want alot of room for travel without it looking like its got little feet.

4 or 6 inch?
    and which brand....
    budget is about 500$ minus labor
    (btw, i know very little about this to feel free to reply in essays and such)
    will my stock axles handle a lift?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you'll never get the really big tires, then go 4" with Shackle flip in rear, and trim the fenders. Axles survival really depends on what gears are in your stock axles. I really like the 3/4 ton axle swap becouse you'll get a very strong rear axle, and the lower gears that'll make the difference (As well as keep ya from burning up automadic transmissions) and beefer breaks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

been lookin at that rear disc kit

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say go and look at National Tire & Wheel they have a 2 or 4in lift with rear springs for 499.95 and it comes with shocks you will have to get the raised steering arm but over all I don't think it's to bad of a price.
    I did call them awhile back and was told the spring were Superlift superride springs if thats still true then you'll end up with a good ride.

Eric

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

should i order it, have it sent here, then take it to a garage, or just have the garage do it all....or buy a keg and see how many neighbors show up to help?

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

IIRC, you want a show truck not a wheeler. Correct me if I am thinking of the wrong person because it matters. These kind of"?" need a description of your plans/intended usage of the truck. If that is the case then a 4" lift w/ some well done fender trimming would do the job. Stock axels would be fine. Skyjacker, Tough Country, and BDS all seem to get consistantly good reviews on this page. Do a search if you haven't already, this (4" & 35s) is prob the most frequently asked question.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

$500 is a pretty tight budget for a full spring lift kit. You could possibly buy the Rough Country kit, but it's $499 without shipping, and shipping on a full spring kit is not cheap. My kit, with rear blocks plus the steering arm and braided brake lines cost me $509 from www.4wheelparts.com, and that was with free shipping. A 4", you will need to buy the driveshaft spacer for the front, your rear should be long enough. The spacer is about $50. I also had the saggy butt syndrome these trucks get, so I had to buy an add-a-leaf for it, which was another $60. Total, I spent $619 on my 4" kit. It's a little taller than 4", I got 5.25" out of it. You can do these things cheap, but you don't want to. Don't go cheap with the suspension, just like you don't go cheap on brakes. Wait for a bit longer for some extra cash and do it right the first time.
    If you have a 4-wheel parts near you, go in and get their Genuine Suspension kit. It has the 4 springs (Pro-comp springs), brake line extensions (not braided steel lines), front/rear u-bolts, and shocks for $496.99, but that's without tax ans the steering arm. Steering arm is $57.99, plus those springs will make you ride like a tank. Like I say, save some more cash, and search on the board for good lift kit recommendations. They're all over the place. Sorry for the novel!

8. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i like the keg idea /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i live in southern wv
    show truck, means u wash it after u go wheeling, lol

no ive tried to hold out...keep it clean, dont go up that hill...la la la...but i just cant, especially with summer coming...so i want it as strong as i can get it...its my DD also...well...ONLY Driver i should say

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Rough Country rides like it's name ROUGH !!! Tough Country has a much better ride. Very importent for a DD in my opinion.

11. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i have researched this quite a bit with the folks on here, and this is what i hear, and will be doin when i get un-broke, ORD 4" shackle flip in the rear, then buy their 2" rear springs to get a total of 6", then get the 6" tuff country lift that they sell there www.offroaddesign.com is the place, but i still will have to buy the steering arm extender thingy, maybe driveshafts for 6", and brake lines, an i think thaz it, but its supposed to be very good, reliable, flexy, ride good, and to my surprise, kinda cheap, but will cost you more than 500 if you go 6", maybe around there for the 4", hope this helps, do some more research, and let us know what you choose...