Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going to kill someone...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, May 7, 2004.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I\'m going to kill someone...

...by accident when I have to slam on my brakes while going 45 down the highway b/c of Death Wobble /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I damn near caused a whole pile-up on route 36 this afternoon /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I HAVE REAPLACED: Tie-rod, TR Ends, Draglink.
    I HAVE CHECKED: both wheel bearings and ball joints -they are good
    I AM AT A LOSS AS TO WHAT TO DO NEXT

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

(I don't want to kill anyone /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m going to kill someone...

If the DW happens when you apply the brakes it might be in your braking system. A caliper that isn't working right, a warped rotor, etc.

Also check to see that your steering box is tight and that it is tight to the frame. Also make sure the frame is not cracked at the box.

Harley

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Check to see that your rear brakes are adjusted properly, if your fronts are doing all the braking you will quickly toast your front rotors. Then check to make sure that your steering stabilizer is good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You have 33's?

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i had some DW before and swore it was the d60.... it turned out to be the tires/rims, i got some equil tire balancer and it cured it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rnss82

rnss82 Registered Member

i would start at your breaks most look at the run out on the rotors around here it only cost some thang like 12.00 to trun a roto so if the arnt to skinny you might try that

6. B_to_C

DW doesn't happen when i hit the brakes, just have to get on 'em when it starts. (after going over a bump or pothole). I forgot to mention I have also installed a nolt in frame brace kit to try and remedy this...to no avail. Yes I have 33" tires. I think I'll find a place CLOSE to here tomorrow get an alingment, and see of the tires are still balanced. any other suggestions?

7. B_to_C

oh yea, i also replaced my steering stabilizer (was actually the first attempt at fixing this) But with my new 1.5" dia. tie-rod, no more stabilizer /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh yea, i also replaced my steering stabilizer (was actually the first attempt at fixing this) But with my new 1.5" dia. tie-rod, no more stabilizer

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Im dense, I dont understand?

9. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

i have the rancho double stabalizer with a beefy tie rod and i got some larger ubolts to fit in the stabalizer on the tie rod end. it totally helps with my death wobble issue that sounds exactly like yours. hit a pot hole or a bump and it starts going off.

sean

10. B_to_C

But shouldn't the system work without a steering stabilizer> as others have said, doesn't it just mask the problem?

11. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I would check the obvious, the balljoints or kingpins depending which axle you are running, I had DW with my D44 and 36's, It was combination of the tire and balljoints /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is from Off Raod Design's web site...

[ QUOTE ]
    The kingpin Dana 60 (common to all GM axles and early Ford and Dodge axles) uses a tapered plastic bushing and preload spring to locate the top of the steering knuckle. As everything wears and we put big tires with lousy balance on the truck, it's common to develop what's known as "death wobble". You typically know it if you have it, at roughly 25 mph the front tires will start a violent oscillation that typically requires you to come to a complete stop before it will go away. One of the contributing factors in death wobble is wear on the tapered kingpin bushing and fatigue on the preload spring. A less common problem is actual breakage of the bushing, this usually only happens with a really big hit on the front end. The broken bushing below resulted from a 5500# truck coming down on the left front tire from a considerable height. The wheel also bit the bullet on this one.
    So, whether your damage is due to use (abuse) or simply long term wear, we have the spring and bushing kit to get the proper alignment on the upper kingpin.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/D60kingpinspring-bushing.htm

13. B_to_C

Thanks 1-ton, but i'm only "half the man you are" -front / rear 10 bolts...

14. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I had dw in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif it was weird never had it at all since i put it together then one day bam dw after checking everthing out i fixed the king pin and a tie rod end this slowed it down but still a bit of wobble left.
    after checking everthing again it looks like the steering box (i think you call it the sector shaft) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif was sloping around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif what the thats a freashly rebuilt box thing dident even last 4 months /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so got another one but haven't put it on yet going to go with hydro assist steering hoping that the ram will take most of the side impacts and help save the box and tie rods as well as make her steer like a gem /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Since I did not know what type of front end you had, I was not sure if that would help you out. There seems to be a few people having Death Wobble issues right now.

Your post title is awesome. It really catches peoples attention. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ball joints? What D60 do you have? Assuming actually king pins. Some have fixed DW by changing springs on the upper bushings. Have they been rebuilt? If everything else is tight, weak spring or worn bushing would be my guess. Also, even things like tire pressure and toe in can effect DW so there are some other things to consider.

And you can mount a stabilizer on the tierod even with a custom rock rod. Some call stabilizers a "bandaid", but a stabilizer had multiple uses and in general will make a better handling truck.

And finally, seems that many people who have DW problems on completely rebuilt D60s loose them when they add hydro assist (the uber stabilizer) so that might be something to think about depending on your intentions for the truck.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

10B russ.

Are the ball-joints properly adjusted (Preload). Look for frame cracks and see if you have a bent rim. Are the spring bushings good? Also check the spring center pin. Loose searing box bolts. If you haven't had it aligned since your new tie-rod went on, get that done. Make sure the searing arm nuts are tight. That's all I can think of right now. Hope you find it soon.

18. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I went from stock to 35X14's on my truck and developed a harsh case of death wobble
    A freind told me he could see ds. front tire wobbling when we were cruising
    I put the truck on blocks , dropped it into 4 HI. and sure enough the tire looked like the cords had shifted(about 1.25")
    I pulled it off and found the rim was also cracked
    Long story short , I put on another tire and rim on and death wobble was gone (now some are just out of round and balance /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

how many degrees are the shims?

I run 35's on a 10b and NEVER had a hint of DW and no shims. Advantage to minimal lift.

Caster angle is what causes the steering to come back to center. Too much caster (and you add caster when you put shims in) it's like a shopping cart with a bent wheel.

20. B_to_C

UPDATE: (Of sorts)

-I rotated the tires this morning (because there wern't any weights on my front right tire...and all my other tires have weights, so i fgured they fell off)

-Still have DW.

I'm going to "Bear Frame and Axle" in Denver on Monday at 7:30am to get an alingment. and maybe, just maybe, I won't have death wobble by the time I have to leave for work at 3pm /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif