Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going to paint my rig

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I\'m going to paint my rig

I am tired of screwing around with paint shops. I decided to paint my rig myself and be done with it. I have not painted a car in 10 years but I think I'll be ok.

Questions

1. What type of paint should I buy? Something inexpensive.

2. How much should I buy? I think I used to use a quart on cars. I want to put a couple coats on the blazer so what do you think?

3. Besides cleaning out my garage /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif do you have any tips for me?

4. I always painted cars black since I had real good luck with it. I want to paint white this time. Is white easy to do? The reason I ask is - the second car I ever painted was red and it turned out real bad. I painted on different days and did not get the paint mixed the same every time so the colors were from orange to dark red. So, does white match as easy as black?

5. The last paint gun I used was a $99 craftsman (10 years ago) which worked real good. I no longer have it and am wanting to buy the $20 gun down at harbor freight. Is this a good idea or should I stick a pry bar in my wallet?

I'm a bit nervous about this so any advice you can give me I will certainly appreciate.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m going to paint my rig

well this thread is going on my favorits list /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will be painting mine as well in the next month or so and I will share my info with ya, I am also considering white as well because it is cheaper, cleans up easier and hides alot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I'm going to start squirting this weekend if I get my body work done. i have 7 small dings and a bunch of emblem holses to fill in. It takes me forever to fill even a small dent /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but with some Luck I'll have it painted in a few days.

4. supersize75

cool, I want to paint mine now but I still need to finish up the toyota lights /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1. What type of paint should I buy? Something inexpensive.

[/ QUOTE ] Go to your local NAPA store and ask for OMNI brand paint/reducer/clear/hardner. I use it all the time and have great results.

[ QUOTE ]
    2. How much should I buy? I think I used to use a quart on cars. I want to put a couple coats on the blazer so what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ] I used three quarts of color for my blazer (minus the top.) The top took one quart of color. 1 gallon of clear is plenty.

[ QUOTE ]
    3. Besides cleaning out my garage do you have any tips for me?

[/ QUOTE ] If you do it in your garage.....clean, sweep, and then hose everything in the garage down with a mist of water to knock down the dust. Even the walls and ceiling.

[ QUOTE ]
    4. I always painted cars black since I had real good luck with it. I want to paint white this time. Is white easy to do? The reason I ask is - the second car I ever painted was red and it turned out real bad. I painted on different days and did not get the paint mixed the same every time so the colors were from orange to dark red. So, does white match as easy as black?

[/ QUOTE ] There is no one color that is easier to paint. than another. Bodywork and finished results are a different story. Black will show every wave, ding and flaw in the body. Lighter colors tend to do the opposite. If you follow the mixing instructions on the cvolor/catalyst........the color will always be even and consistent as long as you mix the paint thoroughly (if you have any doubt........keep mixing)and the primer is all one consistent color.

[ QUOTE ]
    5. The last paint gun I used was a $99 craftsman (10 years ago) which worked real good. I no longer have it and am wanting to buy the $20 gun down at harbor freight. Is this a good idea or should I stick a pry bar in my wallet?

[/ QUOTE ] Buy the best gun that you can afford and keep it clean!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you take your time and properly prep the vehicle, you will probably be very happy with the results. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

While you are at NAPA, buy a paint run cube. It is about the size of a large dice and looks like the surface of a brand new file. It actually shaves the paint run with just a couple of passes and is very easy to work. (easier than wet sanding a run out.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah........ventilate, ventilate, ventilate. And if you tell your buddy to put the fans in the window and turn them on..........................make sure he knows that the fan blows to the outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I learned the hard way that my friend is a monkey when it comes to common sense.) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Good luck with the paint job and don't forget the before and after pics for us! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help!

I just purchased everything I need. I hope to be painting by the weekend.

I will post pics when I am done. I only wish I took pictures when I first bought it and when I had the roof cut off. The rig was rolled and required 80% new shhet metal. I welded on a roof, new front clip, new doors, and welded on a new (LMC) right rear quarter, and had to get a new top for it (old one was all cracked up). I even had to cut out the lower metal section of the dash to get the new roof on. I had to pull out the door jambs too. I do have pics of it with the rear quarter cut off though.

I can't wait to get it painted and reassembled just so I can shut the mouths of all the people who not only thought I was crazy but also stupid for even thinking I could save this truck.

This rig is straight as an arrow and you can close the doors with your little finger. I am having so much fun restoring this truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If you go w/ a base coat clear coat you will be able to shoot it full of runs, dust, and bugs and wetsand and buff it out so you will never know they were there.
    Paint it early in the morning when there is dew on the ground to keep dust down
    Don't get caught painting something at home or the EPA will be on your a$$.

9. supersize75

since im in az too where did you buy your paint and supplies and what did it cost??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I also replaced every panel on my truck as well as the rear quarters front fenders doors hood and tail gate /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

The reciept says their name is ADCO Glendale. Their address is 6530 W. Glendale Avenue #102 Phone is 623-842-4470

I purchased :

1 gallon of single stage Chevy white for $50.50
    1 bottle of Fast Topcoat Hardner for $26.96
    1 bottle of 1370/MR186 Reducer for $6.89
    2 quart mixing pails for $0.96
    2 pint mixing Pail for $.60

Total with tax was $92.87

I went with the fast hardner since its been a while since I sprayed a car. Slow will shine better but will run alot easier. You can still get fast or medium to shine real good though. I guess it depends on the temperature or something.

I went to harbor freight and bought:

1 paint gun for $29.99
    1 respirator for $19.99

I have confidence in the gun but if it sprays funny I'll get a better one.

11. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you go w/ a base coat clear coat you will be able to shoot it full of runs, dust, and bugs and wetsand and buff it out so you will never know they were there.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean a base coat then a clear coat or a base coat, clear coat all in one kinda thing? please expand. i also want to paint my rig but it will be outside in the back yard so i'm not expecting a show rig. still want better than rattle can results though.

thanks,

jason

12. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Base coat clear coat is what all your newer cars...probably from the mid 80's up have. The base is the color. When you shoot it on it looks really dull. You put on a few coats of color, then let it dry. Then you put on a few coats of clear. The clear is a protectant basically. Protects the color and adds the shine. It is great on a wheelin rig because you can scratch the piss out of it and as long as it is just in the clear and not down into the color you can usually wet sand (2000 grit and a garden hose) and buff the scratches out.