Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im going to set my k5 on fire! not running right

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Nov 19, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

Ounce again I have another problem if these dont stop im never going to be able to save cash for the mods i want to do :doah:

I had splitfires in my rig with an old set of wires that were in bad shape when i went to start it I would have to have it floored and then after like 4 or 5 seconds it would stumble miss and everything else... then it would smooth out and run good

i thought ok new plugs and wires so i went and got some delco's and 8mm wires.... it is still doing it and the timing is set to 8* right where im guessing it should be because its an 87-95 350 stock engine my old 73 350 ran 12*
    any ideas or fixes cause im stumped

73 blazer 87-95 350 this motor only has like 50 miles max on it
    hei distributor

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

sounds like a carb problem to me,,,

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

what's the cap and rotor look like? did you also check the color of the old plugs to see what your A/F ratio looks like?

4. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

The cap and rotor are new (2 months old) checked them and everything looked fine. The plugs look like they have normal carbon buildup nothing unusual. the carb is fairly new its a edelbrock 1406 and i adjusted it from what the man told me to from the tech line.

would a plug that has a small crack in it make it act this way or intake manifold leak somewhere? I just dont know what to do other than play with the timing but even there im not sure what would be best for it.

5. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

If the plug has a small crack on it, that is one of your major problems. Fix it and go from there.

6. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

So was it running perfect a few day ago? And then all of a sudden you have this problem? Just trying to determine if there was anything leading up to this. Was it running perfect after you adjusted the carb? or was that an attempt to make it better?

KM

7. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

Sounds like carb and/or some carb related issue to me, unless the timing is way off, but if that was the case it wouldn't run good once started. Did you change the intake manifold? If so, does it have the proper carb base gasket? Did you change the way the brake booster hooks up? Is the tranny vacuum line attached? Vapor canister lines? Choke adjustment? If you have eliminated all the other possible issues, and the old engine ran good with that carb, then poo poo on what the tech said about the carb. Readjust it where it was and try that. A newer stle stock 350 is still a stock 350 and your settings shouldn't be that much different unless one engine was modifed significantly more than the other. Sometimes chasing this crap can get to ya, so take a break and when you come back to it, go through all your ABC's and double check things. If you have a friend with a known good carb, put that on and see how it runs. Good luck. :D

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a carb issue to me too. My old rochester on my '78 had to be pumped and floored for it to start and it was a dog. I put a Holley 625 on there and it would fire up immediately hot or cold. The difference was unreal.