Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm going to try and kill myself tomorrow...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BIG*RED, Feb 12, 2006.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

And I'm so excited!!!

With the past week of nice sunny weather here, been spending a lot of time outdoors. and with the cost of gas at what it is, and i expect it to go up more the closer we get to summer. And the fact that the blazer gets such poor gas milage. I have been doing a lot of thinking about buying a motorcycle.

Now i have driven, hot rods, 4x4s, muscle cars, exotics, but i have never riden a motocyle. And I know nothing about them.

So I was talking to a guy I know about this earlier today, and he said that he had a honda 250, i beleave. Said it would be a perfect bike to learn to ride on, and invited me out to his place tomorrow, and said he would teach me to ride, out on his 30 acres.

So I'm pretty excited about this, i think it will be a lot of fun, but for some reason i just keep pictureing myself running head long into a tree :haha:

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just dont do like i did , and buy a 23k harley davidson fat boy, just on a whim, and then discover later when you get home you aint biker material.:haha:

That was a learning experiance :haha:

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Ron Burgundy - "I immediatley regret this descision!"

:haha: :haha: :haha:

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

just rember riding a dirt bike and riding a street bike are the same in some ways, and alot different in others

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a 250 is "the perfect way to learn to ride?" I would never make that statement...

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

just remember, an bike has to lean in the direction of the turn for it to do so.

Ive got a 250 as well... a 2002 YZ250. I hope your not gonna take your first ride on one of these. the bike like this is very tall at the seat, and very powerful.

anyways not trying to worry you, have fun!

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

it couldbe a 250 honda rebel

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good choice if it is a 250 rebel(or similar). They are a smaller bike and would be easy to learn on.... Plus would make a good first bike... :thumb:

9. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Not sure if its a rebel, but he did say that it was smaller than most bikes, we are the same height, and he said this bike you can still put your feet on the ground while sitting on the seat.

Once i learn to ride, My Pastor has an old honda 450, i think its something like a 1976 or around there, its been all rebuilt. And he said that I could use it, whenever i wanted to. I would like to buy my own bike, but it will be a while before i am able to do that. I hopeing by the summer time maybe.

But anyways woke up today and its misty out side, and looks like its gonna really start raining here anyday..so not sure if i will head out there today..:(

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, im sort of the buisness type guy beleive it or not, it just diddnt work:doah: :D

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i almost bought a brand new YZF125 yesterday. 3599 out the door... shoulda done it. i was also looking at a 95 Yamaha virago 750 shaft drive. good bike. 2500 bux that i dont have.
    Grant

12. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I remember when I learned to ride in hig school. It was down in the Pine Barrens on my buddy's CR250.... that was definately an "interesting" experience..........:D Now I have a KLR 650 and think it is just the greatest thing in the world!

13. Emmettology 101

DOH... I responded to this once and it's not here. So I'll try again! :D

You can practice on my CRF50! :) It's small! (pictured below.. Sorry about the blurry pic) But not street legal...

My friend is into old CB's like that 450. He just sold a 74 550 not long ago... His wife is about 5'3"/5'4" and had a hard time touching the ground on it. But try it out... :D

Rebels and similar 250's are about as small as you can get. My friends wife fits nicely on them... I think she liked the newer Yamaha best..(whatever model it is..) And the 250's are usually pretty cheap new or used!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the Yamaha may have been a Virago. my aunt rides an 1100 Virago, its not much bigger than the Rebel she had before it, just 4x+ the engine.

get something cheap, and small to start out. that's why i got my 650 Nighthawk. but, i'm trading it off soon for a 454 and a TH400. i'll find another beater bike sometime.

a friend of my dad's went out and bought a brand new Fat Boy. he had never ridden a bike before in his life. only had it a few months, and he was riding home late one night and a deer ran out in front of him. being on a deserted backroad, nobody found him for at least a few hours, by then it was too late. i know 5 other people who have been killed on bikes, 2 of them friends of mine. whatever you do, BE CAREFUL!

15. Emmettology 101

May have been a Virago, but not an 1100. They have a 250 also in a Virago...

16. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well I'm back, and I had a blast! it was a mid to late 80's honda xr 250..and it was quite easy to ride, real light. i didn't wreck or fall over.

And if i want it he has bike that I can have for free..

its a 1970 ducati 250. Just needs tires.. But i don't know anything about bikes, and know absoulty nothing about a ducati..
    What do you guys think? Should i take it?

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sure, if it's free, why not? That said, I wouldn'
    t ride a 250 antything on the road much. Not enough power to get you out of the way of the moron who just ran the stop sign and isn't seeing you, or the road gerbil about ready to run up your a$$, also not seeing you.

Oh, and Hi Pi, so sad about that Harley. But, hey I'll take iot off your hands. No one should be in that position.

I rode a 750 Virago back in the day. Cold starting but nice bike.

18. Emmettology 101

Definately take it! Even if you were to turn around and sell it.. These old bike bring good money. But I would redo it and ride. WOuld make a great first bike and valuable collectable!

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sweet sounds cool!
    i have wanted a bike too.

are you thinking of getting rid of the truck or just useing the bike for now?

20. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i bought an 85 zn 1100 kawasaki towards the end of summer from a guy who said it was cherry. started nice and ran beutifully. took it for a 10mile (the best 10 miles of my life) ride and parked it. went to go for a cruise the next day only to have a major engine knock a minute after it was started. now i have to wait till i start working to be able to afford getting the motor rebuilt (around 500 more than i paid for the bike). be sure you can afford to fix it if you get a used bike cause you never know whats been done to it. check the brakes and stuff and remember, the front brake provides 2/3's of the bikes braking power so use it but be careful so you dont flip.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/ducati_250_mark_3_1970.php is that what the bike looks like? im sure it could go for a pretty penny if totally restored.