Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm goingto paint two trucks this summer (INFO NEEDED)

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by adamforsythe, Jan 30, 2006.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Well me and a buddy are going to repaint our (SHOW OFF) trucks this summer. We have a place to do it. I will buy new panels to make sure the body is 100% rust/rot free. Then I want to spray on two coats of Rust bullet to keep things rust free for awhile (Both sides all panels will get a few coats of rust bullet). Then I will add the Primer, base coats, clear coat. Now I paited my first truck when I was 14 (The last time I did it). I had no know how at the time. The only thing that I know of is it came out really nice. But now that I am older I want to know how to really do it. I want to know what steps I should take with these two trucks before I start to throw paint on them. What type of sand paper should I use? What paint guns should I use, etc. By the why the two trucks that are getting painted are a 1986 K5 Blazer (Mine) and a 1983 GMC Jimmy.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i would never base an exterior job with rust bullet type stuff.. thats not correct bodywork....

the most durable setup will be zinc chromate over bare steel, epoxy primer, than a urethane paint... you can get crazy and run a sealer over the epoxy, but not nescesary...

thats if your willing to strip the truck.. if so, ripping with 60 or 80 on DA will do that.. clean the steel up with some 150ish for zinc and epoxy... couple light coats of zinc is all thats needed.. leave it translucent...

if your just gonna sand the factory paint and prime, hit it with 150 to 180 and epoxy prime... zinc is only for bare steel..

remember the thicker your paint, the more chance for checking, crazing, etc... over factory paint ain't bad, but if its been painted previously, your asking for trouble laying more on top. too many mils...

many gun options.. most peeps prefer a gravity feed these days... make sure to run a cheapie inline seperator right at the gun...

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i have always used primer as a sealant and thats what i was always tauhgt.

havent had any probs atall

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm not sure i understand you...

there are many kinds of primer... zinc, hi-build, filling, sealer, etc... most guys will just use a standard filling primer straight over bodywork right thru to paint... i do this too.. but it can potentially cause problems on occasion, our Glasurit rep used to yell at us because we didn't put sealer over the filler primer.. not that we ever had an issue... thats why i said,
    there are paint lines that you can void warranties and such if you don't use their primer sealer over the top of the filler primer... many old dupont products where like that. if you didn't put velva-seal over the regular primer, you would void the topcoat warranty..