Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm gonna be in trouble.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Oct 4, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I\'m gonna be in trouble.....

I am currently planning (shhh...top secret!) on swapping a q-jet onto my truck. Right now I'm running a performer. Performers are awsome carbs for mudders.....or pavement running. You know, where you don't get on angles and such. Well, I'm planning on crawling this thing and last weekend it got pretty hairy on a hill when the flippin truck died and wouldn't run. [​IMG].
    Well, the hubby hates q-jets. <-----the problem[​IMG]
    He's buddies with a guy who drag races and who doesn't like q-jets. Well, this guy does know his stuff, but when it comes to offroading he doesn't know what works cause he drag races. Anyway, the hubby believes anything this guy says.
    Well....the hubby will be gone on a three day weekend in November (the first weekend) and I'll perform the deed then. I need help coming up with some reasons of why what I did (putting the q-jet on) was the best thing in the world for the truck [​IMG] when he points and says, "What the hell is that!!!!". [​IMG]

So, since the majority of you are guys..ya'll can help me give some reasons that he'll understand (more power *tool man grunt*?) LOL! Help!!! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m gonna be in trouble.....

Have you modified your Edelbrock yet? I woudn't mess with a Quadrajet until you've gone as far as you can with the Edelbrock. I can't remember exactly what its called, but its like an "offroad improver kit" that they sell that allows you to drive your truck at more extreme angles without the carb dying. Somebody on here was just talking about it last week.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Go with the q-jet. When set up properly, you can't beat the reliability, low end torque that the small primaries produce, off camber performance, or fuel mileage. I absolutely love them, and once you get your set right you will too!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Talk to his friend and tell him that it dies on hills there are kits to fix this problem.... and if it doesn't fix it just tell him it dies when I climb...... When I can afford it I want a TPI system on mine to fix that problem......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

5. muddin4fun

I'm not going to mofify it. It's where the fuel bowl is located is what the main problem with these are. The offroad kit helps, but still...the q-jet will still kick it's ars.

I'm not trying to decide whether or not to keep it...I need to get all my ducks in a row for when he asks me why this will be better. Please...help! LOL!

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My Q-jet has the same problem as my Holley at extreme angles, even when adjusted right. I don't think a carburator is going to fix that, you'll have to go with EFI to make that go away.

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well you can add the offroad kit to the Edelbrock but it will still have some issues... especially if you want to get flexy like it sounds like you do Lara. Look at the Quad... I mean there is a reason these puppys topped off motors for darn near other. They are flat out reliable and are great off road (show him some posts!) Also there are pretty much the best milage carb out there. I dunno... if he is set in his ways I'm not sure you can really overturn him... but come on... any drag racer can't really care for an Edelbrock either ... most of us are dominators and double pumpers all the way [​IMG]! If worse comes to worse just paint the quad and put a Edelbrock sticker on it and he'll probably never even notice LOL [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Re: I\'m gonna be in trouble.....

Things like "This carb is much better for off road, and it won't die going uphill like the other one did, so you wouldn't have to worry about me as much" might work. It works on me when my wife says things like that.LOL. Also, maybe the trial by fire method would work(i.e. take him on trail and purposely show him how th current carb performs at extreme angle compared to someone with a q-jet. I have to see things to believe them, and most of my friends are the same way.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

9. muddin4fun

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If worse comes to worse just paint the quad and put a Edelbrock sticker on it and he'll probably never even notice LOL

<hr></blockquote>

I am definatly putting an edelbrock sticker on there! [​IMG]

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

One word *** pony keg*** OK two words!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

11. muddin4fun

I just thought of something to remind him about.

A guy we know who had a stock blazer with 32's and a q-jet made it up that hill and it never thought about dieing......

Talk about striking a nerve! It pisses me off knowing that I have this big bad lifted truck with an awsome motor and a dang stock blazer beats me. I can't have that [​IMG]

12. Re: I\'m gonna be in trouble.....

Hey! Mine is almost stock (d44 front axle w/ lockers front &amp; rear &amp; h/d Gabriel shocks are the only mods, so far), and it brings a smile to my face every time someone in a "bad a$$" rig can't make it through where I just went! LMAO! But seriously, it has to be frustrating to put so much into your truck, just to have one part hold you back from you full potential.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just 'cause he doesn't know how to tune it... : )
    http://www.dorianyeager.com/qjetrules.html

Q-jet is hated only by those that don't understand it, or have gone FI : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Just get it running real nice and don't tell him! Next time you go hill climbing and it goes like a champ let him in on the secret!

15. muddin4fun

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Q-jet is hated only by those that don't understand it

<hr></blockquote>

I'm willing to bet money on this being the reason he doesn't like it.

16. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

(In the nicest way possible)
    Use your womanly attributes to persuade him into agreement

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

17. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Isn't this YOUR truck? Put what you want in YOUR truck [​IMG] Keep the old carb and if the Q-jet doesn't work for you then swap in the old one again and sell the Q-jet ... nothing lost (but your pride). [​IMG]

E PLURIBUS UNUM

18. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Give him a story about how you were climbing up a hill and the truck died, you lost power brakes, and slid all the way down backwards almost turning completely sideways.
    My holley does this too; I have to either keep it in 4-lo, or use the gas/brake combo to keep it running.

After you tell him that, ask him to take it for a ride with the new carb to see what he thinks.
    I always love it when my significant other asks me for my opinion on something she did [​IMG] .... just stroke his ego a little ..... hehehe.

Thomas.

PS) You oculd always say the voices made you do it ..... LOL

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <a target="_blank" href=http://stoopalini.off-road.ws/blazer>My Blazer Site</a>

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I will give Donna the job of boxing the carb up and sendeing it to you. It worked when it was pulled but it needs a good cleaning and a rebuild. That way Nick will be mad at you and Donna not me.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

20. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Lara.... all you gotta do is give him the look and say... "I put there because I am right..." that's enough right there to have him never question it...! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    &lt;&gt;&lt; PSALMS 23 &gt;&lt;&gt;