Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm gonna cut it......I think....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldamish, Dec 26, 2004.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

So I have searched the past threads, and found nothing. I have a 89 k-5, I love it..but, I want a full convertable. So, here is my sick little quandry, has anyone succesfully cut the hardtop off a 76 or newer, and been able to use the hardtop from a 73-75, ie. not just running a softop from there on ?? Clearly I'm a little nervous to start cutting my pride and joy, but it is a sickness, didn't want to lift it either, but a few inches later and I'm pretty happy!

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

yes ..its been done by members on here... I have read and seeen a few... Im surprised a search didnt bring up any articles...

YOU have reinforce the windhield pillars and you have to reinforce the body and stiffen it up (like fully boxed and welded sliders) IIRC because cutting the top off removes much of the integral strength of the truck,,,

step carefully into this mod as you could ruin the truck if not done correctly
    research research research and talk to those that have done it first....

cam

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

oh yes it has been done many time by many people, it you want to run the hardtop from a 73-75 then you will also need a wind sheid frame, and cut down and mod the top of you doors.

some have also said you need to re-enforce the piller the doors bolt to as the weight on the pillers is too much with out the roof.

i belive steve (coloradok5) did this as he was selling off all the stuff you need to do it in the summer( modded doors, and windsheid frame)

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I really appreciate the help! Huh...who'da thought "hardtop conversion" hmmmmm.....wish me luck this summer!!

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lets see it when its done, i love the look of a 91 with the dual headlights and the full conversion, looks sweet

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is another link that might help a little.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109803

I did mine this past summer and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Body sag is the toughest obstacle to overcome...I cut mine and the doors would barely close anymore. I had planned on a full cage anyways though...and once the cage went in the whole thing is as rigid as can be.

I currently have the 74 hardtop bolted to my truck.

Rene