Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm gonna give you boys a little tip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Jan 29, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I\'m gonna give you boys a little tip

If you're going to rebuild your power steering pump and your trucks components are a few years past their prime, take these words into consideration. After you finally get the main shaft seal off, and by the way you have to start at the very rear of the pump in order to get to the front. Be very careful when trying to replace the shaft bushing. If its an old pump you might just want to leave the bushing in because it might have cold welded itself in. I the smart one I am tried to hammer it out with a screwdriver.....I was getting impatient! Do not do such a stupid thing! cause then you'll have to throw the whole pump away. Luckily I didn't damage the bushing to bad cause there was no way that baby was coming out, and I was able to file it smooth again. So be gentle when rebuilding your pump, and if you can leave the old bushing in.

Cowboy Up!

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m gonna give you boys a little tip

When I went to rebuild mine the kit alone was $45. A rebuilt pump with warranty $52. Wasn't easy to figure which way to go. Had to remove the pulley either way. This was the pricing I got from the little green people at O'Reillys.

3. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m gonna give you boys a little tip

My rebuild kit was 15$ from Napa and a already rebuilt one was 85$.

Cowboy Up!