Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im gonna rebuild my Q-jet, is it hard?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84silverK5, Jan 16, 2002.

1. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

Ive never done a carb before, i jsut went and bought the kit, any one got some last minute advice before i start taking things apart?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

pay attention to detail, take pics if you have to (digital cameras are awesome) and set the parts down in the order you take them off so it goes back together in reverse.

compressed air with a rubber nozzled blower is invaluable for this job.. blow out passages real well.. as for cleaning, my favorite solution is a tin baking pan or tupperware filled with lacquer thinner.. and a toothbrush or other small brush..

try not to destroy the gaskets so you can compare old with new and use the right one (there will be extras)...... watch for ball bearings in various places, and like I said, keep a watchful eye for detail (does that make sense?? heh) .. after its all said and done I think you'll find that its really fairly simple and rewarding... doug roe has a great book on quadrajets if you wanna spend 25 bucks..

good luck ---

mike

3. 84silverK5

84silverK5 Registered Member

Thanks alot man, looking at the diagram that came in the kit is pretty intimidating, oh well mine as well give it a shot, worst that could happen is being forced into buying a new Edelbrock Q-jet heh

4. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I rebuilt mine a while back and it was a breeze. It was the first one I've done. The diagram is very intimidating. Throw it to the side and find the issue of Fourwheeler(2 months back?) They did a "how to" on a Q-jet rebuild. It is basic and very easy to follow along. They also made some points about float levels that differ w/ the diagram. Just a thought.-Russell