Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm growing up before my very eyes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jul 21, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I\'m growing up before my very eyes

i can still remember back a year ago when changing oil and tranny fluid was all i knew how to do and i didn't even know what a transfer case was! But just now i went outside and dropped my own t-case, no help and didn't even need to refer to ck5 for guidence. I'm so extatic about my new found mechanical skills that every day now i get bit by the bug that makes me go out to the truck, walk around it for 10 minutes thinking "Hmmm what can i do today?"
    Well thank for reading everyone, i just wanted to post cause i was so happy that i dropped my t-case.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    oh yeah, thanks to zcarczar i now know how to change my brake pads and swap axles! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m growing up before my very eyes

When bored, I always top off the headlight fluid /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i know how you feel, when i got here i didnt do anything to my truck unless i was at The Generals house for him to tell me what to do, now a year or so later i had the truck resting on the frame dropped both axles pulled out the entire suspension, put in more lift moved the frount axle and some other stuff, this place is great!!

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Ah yes, I remember that day too. My first apifany. I remember getting excited and thinking to myself, "I know how a car works inside and out" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have fun breaking knuckles for the next few decades /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it has been interesting to see how far you've come, too. This place is so very informative!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When bored, I always top off the headlight fluid /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

MAN How many times have I stressed headlights don't use fluid! The USE GREASE! The Blinkers use fluid!

I don't even know why I bother any more. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

ah yes, but can you drop it on the side of the road with three ratchet straps, a brick, and two trailer ramps? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Same here,

I remember when I was asking what axel I had! Now I have swapped them, replaced the frame, all the panels, all the wiring, all the glass, dropped in a 396 and a t-400 tranny and even herculined the darn thing and put it on 38's
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    ah yes, but can you drop it on the side of the road with three ratchet straps, a brick, and two trailer ramps?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he puts it back in the right way he'll never have to... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ah yes, but can you drop it on the side of the road with three ratchet straps, a brick, and two trailer ramps? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    i bet i could. can you use a tampont string to get you home? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

CK5 is by far one of the BEST sites for knowledge on the net. even if it is non truck related, you can find it in off topic. folks always willing to help out. others always willing to put out the input.
    thanks from me also folks.
    Grant

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    three ratchet straps

[/ QUOTE ]
    I always thought 2 ratchet straps was the easy way! Works better than a floor jack. Just use mil-surplus ones. 2" wide w/ a flat hook on one end that you can slide between the body and frame even w/o a body lift. Also, pull the trans tunnel if yours is removable. Of course this is for 203 & 205, there might be a better way for the 208 & 241, but I doubt it. If you were trying to do it w/ those little Wal-Mart ones or the trucker ones w/ the wide mouth hooks I feel for you.

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Same here,

I remember when I was asking what axel I had! Now I have swapped them, replaced the frame, all the panels, all the wiring, all the glass, dropped in a 396 and a t-400 tranny and even herculined the darn thing and put it on 38's
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If the frame, body, engine, and tranny aren't original, is it still the same truck? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

No the the side window tracks are, wait those aren't on the truck I have tube doors now, um what about my knob for my new colum shift, the one that was on the original and always falls off /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif....does that count and the windshield wiper motor with no wiper blades is original /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

When I was 16, I wanted to buy the hub caps off a '78 Olds Diesel Station Wagon a local Car-Guy had sitting in his 'Parts Cars' area. He said, "I'll sell you the hub caps for $20, or if you take the whole car you can have it for $10." So, of course... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

We dragged it back to my house, and I stripped it completely down to nothing but nuts and bolts just to see how it worked. I kept the parts I could use on my Caprice, then cut the rest into even smaller pieces with the torch. By the time I was done, there weren't any mysteries left to be found in the Olds Wagon. And I'm still suffering from the 'Bug'...

Sal

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hehe yea same thing with me i know so much more now! i know what you mean bout going out to the truck and all that..do it every fricken day...there is alwayyyysss somethin to be done! lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif