Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im gunna build me an engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979Jimmy, Jul 1, 2002.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Too bad it wont be a 350 or a 454 or anything badass like that. well not yet anyway.

I wanna learn how to build up an engine so im gunna start with a vw bug or something and get it running good. I figure that since the thing is so small it will be easy to work on. Especially sinc eyou can drop the thing with a floor jack.

Some day ill build myself a big old engine just gotta learn the basics first. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

VW engines are a good start, I used to use a milk crate to slide the engine out with. You would, however, be suprised at how simple a Small Block Chevy engine is to rebuild. And it is more forgiving to overtightening and cost of replacement parts (regionally of course, I've found good deals on VW parts too).

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well one of the main reasons i am doing the vw engine is cause my dad said he would help me finance it and if it all went well he would be down to do a 350.

I can always stroke a VW.

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You could have helped me over the winter months I just rebuilt my 1776cc for my Bus. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

my dad financed me and my bro while we built a 350, and put into a 73 3/4 ton. they are prob both the same dificulty, 350 will jsut cost ya more money, but then u can use the 350, what ya going to do with the VW engine?

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I figure that maybe if i build a vw engine i would have a daily driver and could turn my truck into a trail rig.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Any v8 is about as easy as it gets, the hard part is just timing and making sure you bolt the heads on in the right pattern, otherwise its pretty straight forward.

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Dude..... what do you need to build a 350 for if your rigs got a stroker motor in it ?

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well me and my dad have been talking about building a car from the frame up for a while. Long story short the 350 would be for a nova.

My dad said he would wanna build a small engne like a vw first since you can drop it with a floor jack. We dont have an engine lift or anything or any place to mount it while we worked on it.

Just wanted something small for the time being.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was tought how to rebuild motors on a old Chevy 250 in-line 6. Rebuilding your first motor is something you'll never forget !!! The first time you hear it running is a high in itself !!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah im pretty excited. I dont want to turn into a ricer or anything but im already thinking about building it with porsche parts and stroking it.

ill have a 2 liter stroker. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif