Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm home from CAOS's Fall for All early.... :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big94gmc, Oct 22, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

It's still fresh, and I'm very upset by it, so this is short, but I thought I'd share with you fellow CK5'ers - if anyone (online, that is) can cheer me up, it's you gentleman.

Long story short (more detail later if ya need), I was at the hotel (in Fultondale, AL for CAOS's Fall for All at Gray Rock) last night when the front two straps (and the winch rope) all snapped, the '73 rolled off the flatbed, down the incline, jumped the curb, rotated over onto the pass. side, wiped out a bunch of stuff I couldn't identify, hit a big light pole, and landed on a (unoccupied) car.

I cryed.

I was hysterical.

I shook so bad I couldn't stand up.

I felt sick to my stomach.

....I was in shock.

Here are the pics I took just a little bit ago when I got home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Wow dude, that sucks BAD! :eek1: :eek1:

I guess the upside is you can re-do the front end however you want now. :dunno: Glad to here noone got hurt.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Dear Lord....

Best of luck getting her back together, don't get too worked up over it, it can be replaced, unlike the products of some of life's other disasters

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

:confused: ?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn. All this stuff just spontaneously snapped, or did someone mess with your junk?

Insurance gonna cover the other car it eventually landed on?

Rene

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Can't replace a life

7. gauder

gauder Banned

Damn man! At least you weren't hurt and neither was anyone else.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is incredibly depressing. Hopefully your insurance co won't try to screw you.

9. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

tRusty, I don't know what happened, I had two straps on the front along with the winch rope, and one on the back (only there to 'hold it back'). I was at the top of the incline, going to the upper/back parking lot, where my room was, and as I got to the top of the hill, I dropped a gear to match my speed, and when I did, everything let go.

bigbear, the Ins. company is supposed to call tomorrow.... Time will tell.

Sickening sight....surreal....to watch my 'crawler speeding down the hill away from me, and nothing I could do.

On the funny side of it, my buddys told me I saved a 17 year old girls viginity.... Apparently, the car the 'crawler landed on belonged to the parents of a 17 year old local girl who was at the hotel with your boyfriend.... Needless to say, I don't think they got what they were there for.

10. gauder

gauder Banned

Was your starter damaged too by chance?

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Now THAT is an odd question... :confused:

12. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Agreed. But, I don't know. I'm going to strip the body off (wish I had a plasma cutter), put on some 'rollers, get the chassis in the garage, and just start going through everything to checking it all out, and see what I'm dealing with. Time will tell.

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

That really sucks. It's been said; at least no one got hurt or killed, and it didn't happen on the highway.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd be having a really long look at the straps and winch line for any sign of tampering. I can believe one breaking, but not three...

Rene

15. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Especially (sp?) that winch line, that is crazy! I would be crying too man, but atleast no one got hurt and you got one hell of a story out of it.

16. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No, I don't think so.... If the damage was on the trial, in a gnarly falling/roll onto it's side into a tree off a huge rock, or something of that sort, yea, that'd be cool - I'd pimp that story like a WWII vet telling of the good 'ol days. This story just smacks my pride in the face and knees it in the groin everytime I think about it. :mad:

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Concur BIG-TIME.
    All 3 at the same time? Something ain't right there...

I'm sure the police were involved at some point - did they have a look at the straps & winch line?

18. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

No, never looked at it all. As a matter of fact, cop never got out of his car - just drove up, looked at the situation, got my info, the info of the other car, wrote it up, and went on his way. That was it. I didn't even get his business card or the case number (remembered that on my drive back home - wasn't 'all there upstairs' during that time). I don't think the straps or winch rope were cut or tampered with, because I was with the rig at all times leading up to this point. Oh, and one strap let loose at the hook, the winch rope about ten inches from the hawse, and the other strap on the must've just come off, since it was still intact - so, 2 outta 3 broke, 1 fell off. I don't want to speculate either, 'cause it doesn't make a difference. The police's role is over, and this is an insurance matter now.

I think its faawked up, I'm trying hard not to think about it, I want to get this behind me, and start looking towards the future, whatever that holds and means for the rig.

19. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

OMG man that is realy too bad. I wish there was somthing i could do for you man. Id often thought about how horrable it would be if somthing like that happend to my truck and i dont know what what i would do... Best of luck

20. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Holy hell man...I'd be thinking foul play for sure. I have a stupid question though.....do you not put your truck in park (or in gear) and set the e-brake? Or did the rig just slide off the back and break the park pin when it hit ground?

Oh yeah, and if it helps cheer you up at all, even with your rig in it's current state, yours is a lot more capable than mine :p: :bow: