Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

im home from college, now the fun begins... the suburban wont run!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Aug 11, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well atleast i know its fuel system related, it'll run as long as you spray something flammable down the throttle body, but as soon as it has to rely on its own injectors it dies. how much is it to replace these TBI injectors? or could i have somebody clean them for me?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

can you hear the pump presurize?(sp)

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Definately make sure the pump is getting voltage. Then make sure you can hear it running. Check the fuel filter too before replacing injectors.

Does it start and then die out after a few seconds? If so, it's probably a relay or the oil pressure switch.

4. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

Yea, my fuel pump relay went, right after i got my blazer. It would randomly not start, and then start and die, or run real rough and then die. You get the picture.

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. muddysub

the pump is fine it runs like it should. i know its an injector problem and i just called and they're $100 a piece. all the injector cleaner in the world wont help if theyre too clogged to let the stuff into them.... hmmmmmm oh well ill figure it out.

6. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i got a whole tbi unit from the j-yard for 82 bucks off a 93 sub. runs a bit better now. guy said the motor was running good when parted. check out the j-yards.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

does either injector spray fuel? If not have your checked the engine temp sensor in the manifold, I had one go bad and the injectors would not fire, so the engine would not start. Also have you put on a NOID light to make sure the injectors are getting an impulse to fire?

8. muddysub

i havent thought about the temp sensor... and my old roommate has a noid light set that ill go borrow from him, thanks forgot all about that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The one that goes to the computer is the one in the intake manifold, not the one in the head, the one in the head goes to the gauge.

10. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Check fuel pressure. There is an adapter that will take the place of your filter and the gauge will screw into the adapter. Then replace the filter as long as you have it out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Just because the pump runs doesn't mean you are getting fuel to the front of the truck. If I remember your truck has sat a while. The rubber hoses that come off the fuel pump and go to the top of the tank will deteriorate and crack so the fuel gets pumped up into the cracked hose and sprays right back into the tank.
    I hope you understand what I mean.