Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Hooked, This is my story.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Mar 23, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I\'m Hooked, This is my story.

I bought this thing to be able to get to work in the snow up in June Lake. Then all of a sudden the work ended and I thought I would come down here and sell it. Then one of my friends took me on a trail for 25 miles and I got hooked. Now I have a new toy and want to learn what to do with it. So let me have it! I'm new at this stuff but I aint stupid. Screwy sometimes though.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m Hooked, This is my story.

Let the addiction begin /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I bought my K5 in November of '01 and am about to install a 6" lift, a shock relocation bracket, a manual transmission in place of the auto, 3/4 ton axles, and boat-loads more...It way fun and these are great rigs...my recomendation is to start with a small lift (4" or so) and new tires (33-35") then you can let the fun stuff start....axles, ORD doubler, lockers, rock sliders, winches, shackle flip...yeeeeehawwww the list goes on and on...these rigs are nice cuz parts from 1973-1991 Blazer/Suburbans and 1973-1987 trucks are all interchangable... Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions...

Chris

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the addiction! I tried to get my hands on one of these for 10 years but situational sircumstance always prevented it! Now I have one I'll never let it go! So here's the scoop.
    Since you got the bug off road and not on road.. your going to want a minimum of these upgrades...
    1. Start with a steering support bracket, there is a fatigue spot in the frame which will crack if not taken care of(assuming your off-roading it) http://www.offroaddesign.com
    2. With the above alone your going to enjoy your truck but if you want more... try kicking up to 33" tires and a 4 inch lift. This is a bout the limit before you get into sinking some serious cash and beginning to think a bit more extreme as a result. I would get a good set of 4" front leafs and a good shackle flip from Off Raod Designs (link above) or get a custom bolt on fabricated for you. Either way this will require some shimming of the rear end for driveline geometry. This alone gives you a great all around balance for all situations.
    Next you get into specialization and the only way to procede from here is to read and listen to what people are doing and what they are trying to accomplish. Each path is as succesul and unique as the next and in my opinion your going to find state of the art for the k5 consumer right here on this board!

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

First thing you need to do is go to your local 4x4 shop.. Hand them your wallet with all your credit cards and check book..And promise them your first born... Then go home and put it all together.....Have fun... It is only the begining...Dan

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> The first time is always free .........you pay after that !

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Muh Ha Ha ha ha ha .
    Another addict hooked.

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

trust me this is an addiction that will cost more then either a woman or drugs! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif LOL