Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im in the market for a Locker, how to choose????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Aug 9, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Im getting new gears soon and want to put some type of traction device in the rear while its all open. But there's so many to choose from I cannot decide. It's a daily driver, make long road trips. Lots of snow,ice, and other offroading. It's an all around truck. I want something dependable and smooth, that doesnt cost a furtune. I don't have a grand for an ARB. I was looking at the powertrax no-slip diff. Anyone else have any suggestions? should I go Front diff or Rear? I have a np203 so its full time transfer case.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Read this, maybe it will help you a bit. I don't think I'd do the No-Slip, but that's just because I'm not convinced of the reliability. If you're only putting a L/S or locker in one axle, do the rear, especially with an unconverted 203.</font color>

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I've used both a l/s and a detroit on snow and ice, and I would stay away from the detroit if I were you. It's road manners are tolerable on other surfaces, but on ice they SUCK. No probs with an Auburn or a Detroit Truetrac, though. Just my .02.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's still fulltime 4x4 skip the locker in the front. With snow and Ice you might not like a Full locker in the rear. Something like and Auburn LS might be the better choice. STAY AWAY FROM EZ LOCKERS. those are Junk. The Lockrights is not too bad. ARB is the best of both worlds but very pricey.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a lock-right in my daily driver, it's a bit noisy but I have been happy with how it works so far. I don't think you can get anything better for under $300 dlls. I have never driven it on ice though so i don't know how it would behave under those conditions.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

do not waste your money on any Limited slip diferential
    Tru Trac is a fancy open dif, brake modulation??? who are you kidding
    a detroit is fine in ice and snow
    like any other product ice and snow is more a question of tires, if you have good tires and a locker you will be going where others dare not
    a locker equiped vehicle is safer then an open IMO if the driver knows what is what
    if there is a bare good traction strip on the road put a drive tire on it and you will travel perfectly straight where an open will have you in the ditch
    I have done countless trips in extremely cold weather in 4hi with a detroit and powerlokd truck with wide swampers and it certainly wasnt the lockers causing me grief

7. 76_Cheyenne

What do you all think of the Detroit gearless locker?
    I'm just concerned about all this noise and chattering. Is it really that bad, or noticable?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with MJ! Lock it or leave it!

9. 76_Cheyenne

I'm not even sure now if a locker is right for me. It sounds like it has a lot of draw backs, nosies. Since im on the highway and roads everyday, and offroad occasionally, maybe I should just leave it open. I'm getting new gears in a week thats why I thought I'd do it at the same time, but I don't want to loose my so called good street driving manners. what do the rest of you think?

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

First off the noise is not noticable in a Blazer. The torque steer is noticable, but not bad. As far as snow there is nothing better. Ice is the kicker, I don't have much experence w/ ice &amp; a Detroit, but in the little time I do have I don't think it was unsafe. With your 203, the open front will be trying to keep you straight at all times &amp; that should make up for the side slip. If I still lived in cold &amp; snow I would lock the back and leave the front open, espically if I had a fulltime case.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have to put my opinion in on the Auburn l/s. I've had personal experience with 3 of them, and 2 of those have been trashed. One was the Pro (mine) in which I broke the side gears at Pismo, and the other was the standard Auburn, which was in a buddies truck and came out in so many peices that there was no telling what the first broken part was. The third was in another feind's truck, but it had smaller tires and he was kind of a weenie with it too. I think that the Eaton L/S might be a better choice if you don't go for the locker.</font color>

12. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

i got a new detriot tru-trac and i like it alot it does me well as a daily driver no noises either