Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm in the wrong business...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 31, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

$100+ for this...

C'mon welders! Start selling!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

have you seen the price on steel these days? 2 years ago i could by the same stuff for about 1/2 price of today.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kool, just sent a link to my Brother-in-law. He just bought a new splitter! Thanks!

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know I know... I read the description before I read the price and was expecting it to be around $35. A solid 6lb wedge is like $10, I figured even if it took the same material volume as a couple wedges to make it, the labor wouldn't be that much on it. But apparently there is some money to be made there...

Anyone think cast aluminum would work as a wedge? I've been thinking about trying out some of my own casting next summer.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

ghetto splitter...

My friend cobbed together a logsplitter at the junkyard from some of the scrap steel that was lying around..he found an "I" beam on a Elgin Pelican streetsweeper's frame,and he pirated a hydraulic pump off it too--and a hydraulic piston from a rubbish truck's compactor bed,and a horizontal shaft Tecumseh motor off an old riding mower..he had everything but the "wedge",and he was at a loss as to how to make one,or what to use....

A few days later when I drove in,he was outside splitting wood with it,grinning from ear to ear..his buddy brought him an old axe with a broken handle,and he welded the head right to the "I" beam! :haha: --looked crude as hell,but it worked pretty slick,for a cobbed up splitter made from junk!.. :haha:

I made a cordwood saw from an old straight six motor for cutting long logs into cordwood while we worked winters there,..took all the pistons and rods out,and bolted a peice of plywood in place of the cylinder head,and used that for a base, and we got a 24" blade someone must have junked there(it was inside an old school bus!)..and we bolted it to the crankshaft (it was a bitch to drill the bolt holes in it!).. :doah:

We used a motor like the one on his splitter to turn the crankshaft by running the V belts onto the harmonic balacer!...another peice of plywood for a "table",and it was done..every half hour or so I'd pour used motor oil on the main bearings,so it wouldn't seize!--my friend bet me it wouldn't last more than an hour or two,but it still worked when the place was closed,and it went(back!) in the scrap pile,minus the motor!.. :D

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wish I still had the old family biz... I'd love to piece one together. My dad's been talking about buying an electric portable one for $450... He doesn't need one, though, I do!