Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm investing in good goggles.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koldsimer, Apr 8, 2006.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After my second trip to the ER in as many years for THE SAME EXACT FRIGGIN THING, i've decided that I am going to buy a good set of goggles. Safety glasses just don't cut it when it comes to grinding metal. While grinding on my truck yesterday, I felt a piece of metal get inot my right eye. Went inside to check it out and found nothing. I flushed my eye as best I could, then went back to grinding. Well, at about 4am I wake up with a horriblly gooky and swollen eye. I woke up my roommate and she found a piece of metal stuck in my eye. She was able to remove it, so I just went back to sleep thinking i'd be cool. Woke up at about 8 and realized that it hurt so bad I had to go get checked out. Well, my retina is all scratched up yet again and this time i was not able to swipe the tetracaine eyedrops they have at the er. Damn those things work! I guess what i'm getting at here is the importance of good safety GOGGLES. I'll be getting a pair tomorrow and wearing them 24/7 just to be sure. And to look cool. Oh yeah, I have a buddy who doesn't even wear any eye protection when grinding.... he's never hurt his eyes. I asked him how he does it and he just kinda squints and says that he can "see 'em comin'". Wish that worked for me.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me Too!!

I was grinding a peice of brake tubing on my bench grinder thursday,and I felt a hot peice of either metal or the grinding wheel go in my left eye!.:mad: .

I was not even that close,and since I wear eyeglasses,I dont use goggles often..I cant see as it is,with goggles I might as well close my eyes,I'd see about as good..goggles fit over prescription glasses so poorly they are about useless!

Then later on in the afternoon I go outside and burn some brush in a barrel,and a hot spark flies right into the same eye!..I was PISSED!..:mad: :mad: ..

The past 2 days my eye is a bit sore and scratchy,but not swelling up yet..I've had metal dug out of my eyes before,and its NO picnic,having them put those novacaine drops in your eye,and using a needle to dig out the rusty metal..:doah: ..I'm praying it will heal on its own,I have NO money whatsoever for medical expenses..

I'm going to get a full face sheild,and USE it from now on!..my glasses are no help at all,in fact many times I see the metal coming at me,it bounces off the back of the lens of the glasses and right into my eye!..:mad:

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

The thing is, no matter how much money you have, if you screw an eye up bad enough, it's pretty much gone for good as far as usable vision is concerned. Eye surgeons howl with frustration at easily preventable foreign object damage to eyes.

The eye is an amazing organ, but it's also easy to mess up beyond any current tecnology's ability to repair back to normal function.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's all about "directional" grinding..

haha, just reminded myself of that American Hotrod episode where Lee is just nailing Roy with sparks from the grinder...

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you heard??

Roy died last winter!..:( ..I liked him best out of all the ones on that show too--he had REAL talent!..never saw anyone fab a hood from scratch before!--not like him anyway...

R.I.P. Roy...you wont have to worry about sparks anymore..:(

6. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I do sheetmetal work in the military and we are required to wear "double eye protection" when grinding, that is a pair of safety glasses and a face shield. And yes like you I've had plenty of metal in my eye, although usually it's just metal dust and it sucks. The only thing about goggles is they get scratched up easily if you get a cheap pair. Make sure the goggles you get are Z-rated.:doah:

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

yeah a couple weeks back same thing happened to me, grinding with safety glasses on and took a small peice in the eye, i got it checked out a couple hours later cuz it was bothering me.

8. littlejimmythatcould

Yup, man vs. metal... man wins quite a bit, but when metal happens to win... man pays the price.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i remember when i was takin my old rusted exhaust off, w/o goggles on. i got some rust in my eye and thought i got it out, then i went inside washed it out and put goggles on and went backout and finished takin it off. for the next week it would randomly water and swell up.then 20min later it would be fine again. i was freakin out cuz it kept itching as well. i told myself if it continued after the week id go get it looked at. well it ended up goin away....weird

10. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Damn kirven. I only wear goggles when grinding and unless its not possible, i stay out of the line of fire.

The WORST feeling and sound imo is weld splatter going in your ear!!! OMG.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

vendor over on pirate sells some really good goggles, forget which brand they are. I was fragging contact lenses all the time with flying bits of steel/abrasives when I used to wear just safety glasses... since I've gone with the cool goggles, zero problems. Still get pelted in the face all the time with crap... but it never gets to my eyes. Worth every penny.

j

12. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

My problem with goggles is that most dont vent very well and they fog up all the time. I dunno what it is with me and goggles.

13. littlejimmythatcould

Then after they fog up you take em off for a second to air them out and your natural reflex is to wipe the sweat from your eyes and then you cancel out the wearing of the goggles. It's hard to fight that urge to wipe your eyes. Unless you wear gloves then it would probably be better but they don't let us wear gloves.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man i have been real lucky
    i get crap in my eyes all the time, and have never had any problems
    but after spending 4 grand getting my eyes fixed(lasik) i take better care of them now

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I guess it depends on what you're working on... but I'm not worried about wiping my eyes and getting a bit of steel in them... the real problem (ie ER trip etc) is getting a piece of steel flying 100 mph shot into your eye. Generally, when I pull my goggles off to de-fog, I just use my forearm (carhartt jacket) and lightly wipe the area. This tends to get the sweat off the eyebrow, cheek area, but I don't push hard enough to have junk getting rubbed into my eye. Works for me.

j

16. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know this may be a dumbass question but here goes. Does anyone make vented goggles? I tried goggles years ago but I had the same problem many others have with them fogging up. I'm a sweaty guy and here in Tx. it gets pretty hot. I could have sworn that i've seen some goggles that had more than the little vents built into them. Any ideas? Oh yeah, my eyeball is good to go today. Very little swelling and and pain. Maybe even good enough to go four wheeling or fishing!

17. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Look for chemistry goggles, they work AWESOME!! Might be able to get them at the local college book store.

Remember, hearing is just as important as seeing. I like the muffs, real easy to throw on.

18. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Chem goggles are ok. I suggest getting a full face shield and using goggles. Just goggles won't cut it, and safety glasses have no place in a metal shop.

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

think the same type goggles i use for paintball would work? theyve stopped a paintball out of my buddys gun set at 300 FPS. Their vented too

20. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status