Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm just a wondering about y'all and cops?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 4, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I\'m just a wondering about y\'all and cops?

It seems like everytime that someone on here tells of a "negative" contact with a cop, 14 other people have to post their "negative" contact stories, along with someone who just has a bad attitude towards members of law enforcement in general.

Now it's not a closely guarded secret that I'm pro-police and I'm getting ready to graduate from the academy so I can become a cop (hopefully a deputy).

Now before I go off into rant mode, I'll post this disclaimer. I know there are bad cops (I used to be on one's arrest list) out there and there are just a few a**holes in the profession so I understand some of these problems.

A cop is just like you and me. A man or woman who has the same worries in life, kids, house payment, car payment, so on and so forth. A cop is a human being. How many perfect people has anyone ever met? I haven't met one so why should anyone expect a cop to be perfect. A cop is held to a higher standard than most everyone else. A person wearing a badge and gun has to power to take away someone's freedom in a blink of an eye. A cop is expected to know this code and that code (look at the CA Penal Code and Vehicle Code sometime) and without prejudice or ill-will, enforce those laws even though they may not agree with the law they are enforcing at the time. A cop is expected to obey the traffic laws better than anyone else, but the citizen is quick to complain that they saw a patrol car exceeding the speed limit without the red or blues flashing, unknowing that the officer may be responding to a violent crime in progress and the officer forget to turn on the lights.

How many of you (outside of the current officers) on here ever heard an 11-99/officer needs assistance call when the officer making the call was in dire straits? If you haven't, I suggest you do. It's one of the most bone chilling things I've heard and hope I never hear it again. The next time you see a cop flying down the road, think of all the possible situations that officer may be getting into before bitching about it.

People seem to forget the sacrifices cops make. Did the NYPD officers on 9-11 think twice before entering the WTC?
    What about the countless officers who left behind a wife and kids and were killed in the line of duty by some scumbag?

The righteous cop enters the profession not for the money, benefits or perks that go with the job. They were that uniform because they heard the calling of a special person who would stay up all day for court to make sure some scumbag went to prison and then stayed up all night on patrol, finishing with a pursuit of some jackass who had too much to drink or ripped off your buddy's car and then having to log overtime to do the paperwork.

Yes, I have had my butt chewed by a cop for something stupid I did. Guess what, I friggin deserved it. I've also sat on the roadside cause the cop felt my car at the time wouldn't measure up to his safety inspection. I've also met some of the nicest people in this world while they were enforcing the laws I had broken.

So the next time you have a "negative" contact with a cop, remember the circumstances why you had that experience and if you felt it was unjust, go ahead and make a complaint. Just remember though, that cop is just like you and me, a human being.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m just a wondering about y\'all and cops?

Well written. Most people have a negative reaction to cops, only no because the person got what they deserved, but that the person was caught. fear sets in and fear generates hate.

I'v been pulled over 3 times and given a warning on one of those.
    the two tickets I got were both deserved, and they also changed the way I drive. So I see it as being for the better.
    and I was in the wrong all three times. and I respect all the police officers the same. they are doing thier job as they see it.
    I wanted to be a police officer once and I even did a job shawdow with one(rode along for the day). But oh well, I'v changed my mind many times since. And my brother thought it was funny and wanted a copy of the ticket I got in his truck./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well put dude...good luck out there after you graduate!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I'm no angle, but I will tell you from personal experence, most COPS I've ment have had the I'm better then you attitude. That's where my negitive feelings come from. I do know some cops that haven't been that way, but that is not the norm from what I've seen. Maybe it's becouse I've got long hair, and wear a black leather jacket. I reliese cops are only people and form opinions at first sight. I can understand in that job you come in contact with some real low lifes, and when you see someone dressed simular, with a simular hair style, 1+1 will usely equeal 2. But still I feel like most cops treat me like I'm less then them. I've shown a few that I'm not !!! Please don't take this offencively, I do have respect for Officers, it is deffently not a easy job. I just wish most cops would treat me with the same respect I treat them with !!!!

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I don't really have a problem with the cop's it's the law's that they are forced to inforce. As I'm sure you know there are some pretty stupid laws. I have a couple friends that are cop's and have had family members that were cop's and they all say that inforcing a bad law is one of the worst things about being a cop. As far as liking or dissliking a cop I base it off of his/her attitude just as I would anyone else. I know it's a job.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Well put Bubba.

I dont know how far the stories of this spread across the counrty but a few yrs back there was a nut bag in Tampa that shot his GF's son and killed him. He then was arrested some time later and the detectives hand cuffed him in front (not behind the back) and he got his cuff key (that he wore on a chain around his neck) and got loose killing the 2 detectives.

He then went on a killing spree as he drove north on I75 killing every officer he came across.

In the end he killed himself in a stand off and a convienence store.

I was personally touched by this 2 ways.....A good friend of mine that rode to work w/ me, his mom was the manager of the conv. store and was on duty that day. He was scared to death! She left as he was coming in. He was calm and casual and went psycho once in the store. Close call.

Also my next door neighbor is an ex cop turned detective for the state, knew and was related by marriage to one of the detectives that were killed in the beginning. I got home in time to see his wife stop him from leaving the house fully armed to the hilt! Fortunately she stalled him long enuff that the news announced he killed himself.

There is now a law in Fla, (maybe nation wide) that it is illegal to own or posses a cuff key.

Also one nite myself and another guy stayed late at the shop and seen all hell breaking loose "across the tracks" EVERY entrance to whats known as "the country" around here was blocked off by on and off duty officers, detectives, under cover, SWAT, from my town, surrounding towns, county and state. Officer had been shot. In the end, it turned out that the cop was under cover buying drugs and had been for months. He shot HIMSELF in the foot! But to be near by and see ALL these people converge on 1 area THAT fast will blow your mind!

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

First of all I agree with a lot of that.

However, when one holds such power over another person to jerk them around and so forth for no reason, exceeds the speed limit by a large margin without the lights, pulls a u turn just after a curve, failure to use turn signals and running red lights without the flashers, and so forth, this is unacceptable to me. A lot of it is endangering the public.

The exact thing I do not like about the police is that they are human. When a police officer is having a bad day it seems everybody in their jurisdiction does. Around here anyhow. A lot of the time around here you'll get pulled over, ask what you did wrong and the guy has to try and make something up, you can tell they're doing that since it takes a few "um... uh... well you see" until something is said... /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I find things like that unacceptable. First thing I want to hear out of their mouth is exactly why I'm being stopped. I've never had an issue with the state, city police or the sheriffs, only the local yokel officers around here who seem to have had very little training and are on a power trip... I guess that's what happens in a small town with very little crime to keep them from wanting to exert undue authority. The two times I've been ticketed I have deserved it. Although I felt on the first that over 6 years with a clean driving record should be worth a warning... I just get really annoyed when I see them doing things that aren't legal, driving 1/4-1/2 mile in a designated turn lane, grossly speeding which would be considered wreckless driving if it were me doing it and so forth.

I know in the case I recently brought up about following the officer and measuring their speed with the gps, the guy stopped being in a hurry once he hit his jurisdiction for some unknown reason. Strange. Can hardly explain that away as needing to be someplace... But I think the police should be held to a higher standard to the rest of us since it seems extremely hypocritical for us to be held up to the light but the officers are not. I understand the stress factor sometimes, etc, but that cannot explain away all the behavior... Do they not take some form of oath to uphold the law or some such thing? How is somebody who is consistently breaking laws expect to enforce the laws for everybody else and remain something to be taken seriously...

That being said I also respect the members of the law enforcement community who don't just randomly harass people and so forth. It's a job I would personally not want to do (for several reasons, would refuse to enforce the stupid or ridiculous laws, and would be concerned that I would have a bad day and take it out on somebody. Fine if I'm a civilian with no power over anybody but not good when you have the power to even toss somebody in jail or have them sitting in the back of a car in handcuffs for a few hours while a vehicle is searched. I've been fortunate enough to have avoided that circumstance so far, however I'm sure of at least a few here who have not...)

I think most peoples' rants is a case of a few bad apples spoiling the way the public views the group... Most people only ever hear negatives about officers... A lot of the time the gripes seem to be about a ticket they got that was deserved anyway. Sometimes the gripes are legitimate such as not doing anything wrong yet being harassed anyhow. It's these instances I don't care for... If it's deserved, the guy/girl's just doing his/her job. If it's not, then it's inexcusable... Fortunately the complaints you hear from people who deserved tickets seem to outweigh the legitimate gripes by quite a bit...

Anyhow I never mean to bash officers, and certainly not as a group (just individual(s) I see doing something wrong), it's just that I tend to get irritated when I see one doing something *nobody* is by law allowed to do with no consequences to them what so ever.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Very well said - I admit that I've got a handful I would like to see beaten to a pulp, and or put in a job more befitting their mental capacity, like greeter at WalMart - but for the most part I have no problems with you guys on the blue light side of the fence. I also admit that I am one of the world's worst for screwing with newbie deputies/forums/images/icons/wink.gif You've never seen a red face until you see a fresh from the academy booter walk by in his/her self important "first solo call" walk and we start whistling the "Barney on the prowl" music from Andy Griffith/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I grew up in a very small town in Iowa (1700 people at it hight). I went to school with our only cop's son. He was 2 grades ahead of me. We got in a fight one afternoon, (boys will be boys). Ever sence then, the town cop had in in for me. 20 years later he would harrass me over anything he could, use very profane langue, and threaten to arrest me if I used any back. I finally lost my temper with him, coused me to spend the weekend in jail, but he never treated me dissrespectfully after that. I gess he lost his gusto getten beat up in front of the town hall. When the county deptys came to arrest me, I was ready to go again, but they knew how he treated people and said it's about time someone did that. I hold utmost respect for those 2 deptys, they treated me with respect. I always try to be respectfull to everyone, cops included, but if someone treats me as s#*t, I tend to do the same back.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have less against cops than I do against stupid laws... but since they are the minions which apprehend peeps breaking said laws they kinda shoulder the same blame. Why I am geting pulled over for going 7mph faster than the posted 55 when psycho killers are on the loose I have no idea. The public would be better served if they spent more time tracking down nut-balls and fanatical priests than my non-working-speedo-driving a$$. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

so how about a compromise, I'll become a fanatical supporter of cops everywhere, if they'll quit pulling me over for no reason. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I don't usually have a problem with officers... they're usually trying to do one of the most dangerous jobs around, and uphold the laws we have. there'sonly ever been 2 officers that really pissed me off... the first was a reservation cop, who was on a power trip against the white man, and wanted nothing better then to find an excuse to arrest my friends and myself ( although we were minors) and point guns at us, and cuss at us and whatnot. the other was an officer who assigned blame in an accident where a senile old lady plowed into the side of my old white truck, a clean white truck, with its headlights on, and me driving through traffic on a clear day, through a green light ( she made a right turn on a red light, accross a lane into my truck) getting hit by her.... her car was totaled, mine was beat up pretty bad... had to goto court, and beat him out in front of a judge who agreed that the ticket against me was bullcrap. the cop refused to shake my had on my way out of the court room... he also spent the entire time telling the judge that his story was the full fact truth, and that all my testimony was surmised to save my ass, and shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.... he didn't see the accident, the lady even said ` I didn't see him at all' and in teh end, the ticket was gone, her insurance company screwed me out of repairs, and I still laugh at the thought that I totaled her new car, and that her insurance, her lawyers, and whatnot couldn't touch me after that ticket was lifted.

the only thing that pisses me off is that you can NEVER read the copy of the ticket you get, when you get one... the bottom ticket on a pad of carbon paper thats generaly the 5th or 6th sheet down generaly has no marklings at all on it. oh well,

-Rich

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Ok I gotta jump in on this one. All the people who complain about all the horrible things that were done to you by cops, If you didnt take the time to make a formal complaint to the department they work for and in the case of City police or Sheriffs deputies you can also complain to the mayor or County commissioners. Then it is very likely that the situation did not occur as you described it. State officers can be complained to the Governor. Now I will be the first to say that there is corruption in law enforcement as there is in any other vocation.

When you are stopped for violating a traffic law think of all the other times you have gotten away with the same violation and in some cases worse without any repercussions.

How many of you would have repercussions at work if someone complained that you cussed or bought beer when you were off duty.

The only way a stupid law can be changed is through the legislature or city government that made the law. The officers themselves do not have any more power to change the law than you do.

The decent cops are the first ones who want to get rid of the bad ones. Just like decent mechanics would like to get rid of the bad ones.

Most officers have pretty much a set standard for what and when they write tickets and dont deviate too often. Although you can have an effect on how many and how often you get tickets. If you treat someone like crap you can expect they may not be very lenient toward you. In the converse if you treat the officer decent and you were not breaking the law by a large margin and officer feels that just by a verbal or written warning you will voluntarily comply with the law in the future that is what they will do.

Law enforcement is one of the few places where people feel they are getting the shaft when they get stopped and they dont get away with either a warning or a reduced fine. Try going to Walmart or the grocery store or your mechanic and saying you know I think you should not charge me at all for this purchase or cut the bill in half and then get mad when it doesnt happen.

I handle some complaints as part of my job and 98% of those are that the officer was rude, he wrote me a ticket for doing what I was doing, or because of all the other stuff going on in my life I need a break.

If you do feel you were treated unfairly please do make a complaint cause its the only way an officers behavior can be documented and if there is a problem the only way they can be terminated.

As far as officers speeding without thier lights on there is a multitude of reasons/excuses. Being called to respond to domestic violence, fights, thefts, robbery etc where using lights and siren would only reduce the chance of catching the culprit. Attempting to catch up to a violator without warning him with the lights so he turns off and can get away. Knowing that if you activate your lights 80 % of the drivers either dont know what to do or just ignore you or purposely get in your way to slow you down. (PULL TO THE RIGHT ON THE ROADWAY AND STOP). It is far quicker to run without lights or siren than it is to run with them. This is in many cases a violation of departmental policy and in some cases law.

Ok I have now stepped off my soapbox. Thanks for the vent.

P.S. I did get tickets when I was younger and stupider and deserved every one and many more.

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Law enforcement is one of the few places where people feel they are getting the shaft when they get stopped and they dont get away with either a warning or a reduced fine. Try going to Walmart or the grocery store or your mechanic and saying you know I think you should not charge me at all for this purchase or cut the bill in half and then get mad when it doesnt happen.

<hr></blockquote>

Amen, amen, AMEN!!!

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They have never let me down and neither has the justice system...../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The justice system where I grew up was a joke !!!! A kid got 10 years in prison for stealing a car sterio, while a child molester only got 2 years. I'd much reather they steal my sterio then rape my kid !!!!!!!! Hell they only got 5 years if they stold the whole car.

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If you want to know my theory for the root cause of alot of "problem cops", it's boredom - particularly the guys/gals who get really hawkish over traffic violations when they have nothing better to do. I grew up in a small town where most of the cops were older/wisers, and they knew what was really citation worthy and what was unneccessary - some even had their own penal system in place. I remember having to push my (really heavy for a 13 year old) LT250 home (with alot of hills on the way) after one of the sergeants caught me riding on the street - no citation, just followed me home and gave me a stern talking to. While it was embarrassing as hell pushing that quad home right in front of the school and all the little cheerleaders I was hot for, I still respect this man more than any other cop I've ever met. Why? I learned my lesson without need for umpteen hours of community service or a fine. Or we met alot of cops on those weekend nights at desert parties that could have arrested us and made a big deal out of "minor possession" - Instead they sat and watched while we "popped and poured" then followed us into town while we disposed of our cans/bottles. Had to do a keg one night/forums/images/icons/frown.gif Why should kids have to deal with citations and courts and overboard punishment for something that they themselves did?

Moving onto more recent times, my most hated cop of all time arrested me for DUI when I hadn't been drinking. I ran into a local bar/grill to pick up some takeout chow, and on the way out the door I tripped and "wobbled" a little (had a 5,000 lb plaster cast on my leg too). Needless to say, this yutz saw it and decided to pull me over a few blocks later - obviously there's no way in hell I could pass the field sobriety test based on the broken leg, so he cuffed me and stuffed me in his car, took my license, and drug me into the jail. This is also when I found out that those breathalyzer things can be manipulated. After 2 months when this thing finally went to court, my attorney ripped the guy to shreds - got the charges dropped and a really good public reaming of the cop by the judge. He probably still stands by his story that he saw me "wobble" in the doorway, causing him to be suspicious, but this officer and I had gotten into a fist fight several months prior when I hit him with a wild pitch during a softball tournament and he rushed the mound (Not blowing my own horn here, but he got his ass kicked in front of his (hot) girlfriend). Could that have been the true reason he elected to lie in order to make an arrest, and continue to lie in court? Or are the stupid arrest/citation quotas administered by the police chief to blame? Nobody knows - it might just be overzealous officers hellbent on making a reputation for themselves.

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Well, at least you didn't decide to become a social worker. At least cops need to meet certain constitutional guidelines before they mess up your day. You know, things like evidence, probable cause, criminal act... Anytime you take a kid to the doctor, your family is in danger. Believe me, we had a child break a leg, and after 2 months, one zealous er trainee, two social workers, one cop, a miranda warning and a huge legal bill, the case was dropped as if "nothing" had happened.

It is a noble profession to protect and to serve, but once you pin on that badge, everyone is "the enemy." Listen to the cops on TV, were not people anymore. We become objects like "subject, caucasion male, perp, ect..." A handgun in the trunk in many states is a concealed weapon. Seatbelts ommision is an arrestable offence. The problem is that there is very little protecting and serving going on and a whole lot of tax collecting. How many small cities would be financially drained if they couldn' have a four lane road with a 20 mph and full time punk with a radar detector (Centerville, UT).

I know we need police in a free society, but more and more laws are being passed that make good citizens criminals. You have a job that requires you to enforce bad laws. I'm sure your just following orders when enforcing these laws, but so were the Nazi's. Not to say cops are that, but where is the line and when have you steped over it?

I honestly hope you are never involved in an officer needs assistance call, but I also hope to never have the occasion to be in front of you going 3mph over the speed limit and you're behind on your ticket quota.

tom

18. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

There are definately different kinds of cops out there, some bad and some good. I've met my share of bad ones, but also a lot of good ones who don't give me any trouble, and are just doing their jobs. It the assholes that are after teenagers that I have a problem with

19. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

As far as officers speeding without thier lights on there is a multitude of reasons/excuses. Being called to respond to domestic violence, fights, thefts, robbery etc where using lights and siren would only reduce the chance of catching the culprit. Attempting to catch up to a violator without warning him with the lights so he turns off and can get away. Knowing that if you activate your lights 80 % of the drivers either dont know what to do or just ignore you or purposely get in your way to slow you down. (PULL TO THE RIGHT ON THE ROADWAY AND STOP). It is far quicker to run without lights or siren than it is to run with them. This is in many cases a violation of departmental policy and in some cases law.

<hr></blockquote>

I never said I expected the guy to have the siren. Lights would be sufficient for me. Maybe the public needs to be retrained. Today I passed an accident on a 6 lane road (2 eastbound, 3 west bound, 1 turn lane) an officer and ambulance were parked in the right most lane (westbound side) I slowed all the way down and passed the entire thing at about 20mph (in a 45 mph zone), gave plenty of warning, started to slow down ahead of time, and I was in the left most westbound lane, about 7 jackasses blasted past me on the right in the lane just a few inches away from the police car and ambulance, both of which obviously had their lights on, etc. WTF? Are people so flippin' stupid that they can't slow down a little bit to ensure they're not going to make an officer or paramedic a statistic? People need to be trained to understand when you see lights, slow the hell down, if they're behind you, pull your ass over *ASAP*, and if you don't, you're getting fined. That is one law I can easily live with and even support.

If they don't yield right of way for emergency vehicles with lights on, record license number on the little video camera thing, and mail them a ticket. I'm in favor of that. That's a load of crap that people seem to get away with being stupid while driving.

I certainly hope it is a violation of a departmental policy and the law to run faster than the legal limit without the lights. It's just one more way that you *do* get noticed more and that's what it's all about. Especially if you plan on running an intersection, etc... Anything that'll even make you any more visible makes things safer for everybody.

If you have your lights on in most of those cases they'll see the car pull up at the same time they see the lights or there abouts, so that shouldn't make a difference anyhow, unless you're simply driving behind someone.

I don't know I just want the laws I have to follow to be followed by everybody. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Nobody is above the law or policy, regardless of how badly they may want to be the first to arrive someplace, etc, etc...

And I still agree that it's a hard job that I'd probably not be able to do for various reasons... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Take care everybody

20. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Back in the day, police where alot larger part of the community. They would interact with children on the street, have conversations with teens and adults, and people knew who they where. When I was a kid, there was an officer that came into the neigborhood all the time. The neighborhood kids would all run to his patrol car as if it was an ice cream truck. He would pass out sports cards to everyone and talk for a while.

As your communities have grown over the years, the police have become more separated from the community and is now seen as an authority figure, so most people (criminals or not) only have negtive contact with them. Myself, I tend to dislike anything and anyone I only have negative contacts with.

One nice thing about small towns, is that the police still have time to be apart of the community. Like making a kid push his ATV home, or taking them to their parents when caught for something instead of busting them and giving a good kid that screwed up a wrap sheet.
    Having officers go back to interacting with the community is what will help chaing their outlook. I'm not talking about holding some kind of event at a school or park. I'm talking about walking down the street and BSing with pedestrians and residents and having real conversations.