Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm just about tired of my freaking EXPLORER

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I\'m just about tired of my freaking EXPLORER

ergh... So I've been debating the last few weeks (seriously) about whether or not I should keep my Explorer. Today is just about the last straw. I decided to pull it up to the shed in the back yard, dig out the camping gear, and see how well everything fits in there. I stuffed, rearranged, pushed, yelled, threatened, and I can't even fit HALF the stuff in there! One of my requirements in a vehicle is clearly stated in my head, "MUST BE CAPABLE OF CARRYING SUFFICIENT CAMPING GEAR FOR A COMFORTABLE WEEKEND, AND AT LEAST THREE PEOPLE INCLUDING THE DRIVER." My Explorer isn't living up to this vehicle code of conduct. I think I need to seriously look at some K5's and Suburbans... Maybe some pickups if I can find one of the extended cabs for a reasonable price.

Plus the dogs found out while we were in the back yard that the Explorer is small enough for them to just walk right into without trying, and enjoyed jumping over the seats, knocking over my pepsi, and not budging until I drove them around the block /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

However, there are still several things I like about my Explorer which is why it's not for sale right NOW.

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m just about tired of my freaking EXPLORER

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    However, there are still several things I like about my Explorer

[/ QUOTE ]
    Go ahead...name them...I'm ready for a good laugh. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Ok, just kidding.
    It's too bad you grew out of your vehicle. My dad has owned a suburban (well, 3 total) over the course of 16 years. His last replacement was to be made in '99. He looked at Durangos and even Tahoes. Yet, none of them had the cargo hauling capacity necessary for hunting gear and a family. So, he got another 'burb. Fine with me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Things I like about my Explorer:
    -It's the second nicest vehicle I've owned (first was my K5)
    -It's one of about three vehicles I've had that didn't have rattles from pieces of the truck not being on securely.
    -It's easy to park.
    -FUEL INJECTION /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    -Automatic Overdrive is quite nice.
    -Smooth ride.
    -Better MPG than any other truck or SUV I've owned.

Things I don't particularly care for:
    -It's small.
    -No legroom for driver, plenty for passengers who rarely exist.
    -Very scary in high winds (My Blazer was much more stable).
    -Extremely low to the ground.
    -Not very wide.
    -Gas pedal is too small. Sometimes it's hard to find the thing, and get just the right spot to use it.
    -Battery is on the wrong side, forcing me to have my subwoofer on the wrong side.
    -Looks extremely hard to work on.
    -EVERYONE and their grandmother has one.
    -And of course, I can't put all my camping gear inside.

There's my quick list of stuff I like and dislike about it. I can go more in depth, but that'll take too long and I'm bored... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep....... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think I need to seriously look at some K5's

[/ QUOTE ]

Think where you'd be at if you had taken the money you've pent on the Scout, and the Explorer and stuff and put it into the K5 you sold...

Rene

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I think I need to seriously look at some K5's and Suburbans...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about time... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

-FUEL INJECTION .
    -Automatic Overdrive is quite nice

[/ QUOTE ]
    Fuel injection-got it on my K5
    AOD is about a big pile of stinking crap. Hate em.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Things I don't particularly care for:
    -It's small.
    -No legroom for driver, plenty for passengers who rarely exist.
    -Very scary in high winds (My Blazer was much more stable).
    -Extremely low to the ground.
    -Not very wide.
    -Gas pedal is too small. Sometimes it's hard to find the thing, and get just the right spot to use it.
    -Battery is on the wrong side, forcing me to have my subwoofer on the wrong side.
    -Looks extremely hard to work on.
    -EVERYONE and their grandmother has one.
    -And of course, I can't put all my camping gear inside.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What about having to hide your face in shame at a stop light when a K5 rolls up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Or the fact that your in a modern day station wagon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

eeRRRRRRrrrrgggGGGGhhhhhHHHHHHH *wonders if he really wants to get into that subject YET AGAIN with yet ANOTHER PERSON*

Thanks to the wonderful people at Buck's Auto Repair charging me to do all this stuff that obviously didn't keep the engine from going out on me, I was left with exactly $15 to my name. I was still in school, working about 10 hours a week for $8.00 an hour. I hate having to borrow my parent's cars, all my friends either didn't drive or were under the impression that we were all super invincible and drove like it. The place we live strictly prohibits non-running vehicles over a long period of time (It would've taken me at LEAST a year of spending NOTHING to get that Blazer fixed), and I was having no luck finding cheap/free engines to put in it. I had less mechanical skills then than I have now, which means I knew LESS than nothing. As much as I hated it (and I did) and tried to think of any possible option other than selling it, nothing would work out. I was left with no choice but to sell the Blazer. Besides, most of the money I put into new vehicles comes from the money I make from selling a previous one. So basically, the money I got for my Subaru Justy (Second car, first went away for free) is what paid for my Explorer if you catch my logic. The money I got to pay for my Scout was left over from previous sales, and from selling my second Subaru. And the Scout came several months after the Blazer, and if I had the money that I had when I bought my Scout when my Blazer was dead, I wouldn't have had to sell the Blazer.

That is the whole story, it's the story I've been telling for over a year now. Rene, you are the FINAL LAST PERSON EVER I am going to justify my selling the K5 to. Feel special, because I'm sick of telling the story and I won't tell it anymore. Anyone from now on who asks will be met with a very rude "It's none of your business what I do with my trucks, and if I want to share it, I will." You are the last person to hear it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So why the hell did you sell your Blazer?
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Awwwwwwwwww don't make me type the story AGAIN /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Aww, come on, it's always better the second time around. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...i guess the fact I already knew all that might tick you off some huh? I just like to give you a hard time now and then...seeing as your choice of vehicle has come full circle now./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I do feel special though...of wait, that's just gas./forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene

15. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yea, just a little annoying /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif... Weren't you in one of those chats when I was trying to get hooked up with chevyhunny's 350 without headers??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll just find something... There's a K5 in town for over $3000... too much... a 3/4 ton pickup for $1600, a few Suburbans for under $2000... I plan on getting at least $3500 for the Explorer (that's what the book is at), so I can get a cheap truck and probably have enough to fix anything wrong with it... That pickup is very nice looking, just no back seat...

16. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Imagine that... did you really expect to come out here cryin about your Exploder, and have ppl pity you? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And, I apologize if that msg comes across harshly!

-Dan

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sell it before that AOD goes out. Most people I know who have had Exploders had to replace the tranny around 80 to 100 K miles. If you are over that you are living on borrowed time. In my opinion.

18. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

dude i am sure i will get ragged for my opinion but oh well. i would keep the exploder for a while. i am a big believer in the saying you get what pay for. i mean the hasn't given you any mechanicla trouble has it. i would keep it and save all my money until i had 3or4k to go along with the money i am gonna sell my exploder for. 2 rules of thumb when buying a vehicle 1.never ever buy something expecting to have to money in it 2. if you are buy a vehicle for 2000 you better have 4000. if your main problem with the exploder is camping gear get a reciever hitch and one of those racks that slide in it. those work great my has one on his s10 blazer we use it when we go campin /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sure would be nice to save up 3 or 4 thousand dollors. Reality check time, some people like myself just can't do that. Bills, bills, and more bills. It's tough enough just living month to month. I'll start to get ahead and WHAMO, something happens that takes everything I've saved up + more. So a vichile that runs, but need alittle work is a fact of life for my kind.

20. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

that is what sayin. his exploder is mechanical strait. even if it takes him a year or two he should save it till he saves up som money