Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Learning to weld....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 21, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm learning to weld and all sorts of fun things with metal, and I need some basic plans for what to build, and more importantly, where I can get steel for cheap. I have plans already for a welding table, a roller stand, and a few other things, and I'd eventually like to build a full cage for my truck, but before i jump into that, I need to make sure my welds will pass inspection. So, if you have any ideas, drawings, or other such projects, I'd appreciate them.

Today I was doing a little bit of steel testing by heating it up with a torch until it pooled, then letting it cool again, just to see how long it should take to puddle when I'm stick welding. Checking out colors and such... well, I already had my first accident, and I'm lucky I'm not dead. I was cutting with the torch, and a piece of slag landed right on the O2 line from the torch. It melted the line, and all I can say is that I'm damn lucky I didn't melt the Acetylene line, or I'd have gone BOOM...

Anyway, I'm having fun testing the limits of the metal for now, and doing little practice welds on scrap, but I'm going to want to build that welding/cutting table very soon. I don't have any idea where to get steel from around here.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There should be a spark arrester right at the regulator for a worst case sort of thing, but in reality even if you had burned the acetylene hose you just would have got a smoky yellow flame from the break. I've done it, and it isn't nearly as exciting as you'd think.

A stick electrode will puddle the steel instantly, nothing at all like heating it with a torch. Same with Mig and flux core.

Call up any local fab shops and ask them if you can pick through their scrap bins for steel to practice with. Tell them you're learning to weld and just need some weldable junk...

Rene

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Like Rene said. Also check with scrap yards or junk yards for scrap metal to practice on. I was taught to start with one form of welding such as gas then move on to the next step. My Dad would make Me weld sheet metal together with just a torch and nothing else. Once I got that down then I started doing stuff like brazing and on and on.
    In school We would make stuff like tables and stools, then we would use those to do other practice projects on. Oh yeah on the tables we would make hangers for the torch hoses so they would not hang on the ground under our work :wink1: