Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im lifted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scuba Steve, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Just got done putting a 4inch TC lift on with ORD HD shackles and swaybar disconnect. But I could not get the steering arm off to put on the new one. Anyone have any tips? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no tips, but I sure would like to see some pics!
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I could not get the steering arm off to put on the new one. Anyone have any tips?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep hitting the arm with a good 3 pound hammer/sledge. Don't go easy on it. Eventually you'll get the cones to pop loose and you can get the arm off then. Penetrating liquid on the studs/cones will help too. Just keep working on it. It has to come off at some point (I've done 2 already, and they've both been beasts!)

Post some pics of your truck with its new stance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take everything off of the knuckle, including the backing plate. And hit it all the way around. (spent 2 hours trying to take it off and my dad got it in 15 after he took the stuff off.)

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just keep pounding on it right where it curves back, eventually the cones will loosen and pop up. I have taken 3 off this way.

6. Get a brass drift and after shooting some PB Blaster on the the cones, hit right next to the cones all the way around them with the drift. It works every time. By using the brass drift, you wont damage your threads if you hit them. I learned this by taking the manual hubs off my old 4Runner. It said to do it right in the factory service manual from Toyota, so I tried the same trick with those cone washers and it works. Or you could just beat the hell out of it with the sledge /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    Mat

7. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

you can also try heating it up, not too hot, but just enought to loosen it off, i used a blow torch and let it sit there for 15 minutes and one tap with a hammer and it popped right off.

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I just got a surplus of diff and had to knock of a few of the steering arms. I did the one on the truck, I didn't need to take anything off as far as backing plates and stuff, I just moved my brake line out of the way and started smacking.
    I searched on here and people said to hit it where the draglink connects, I found it best to hit right up close near the bolts, leave the nuts on a few turns just so you don't accidentily smack the threads. I found that it took no more than 3 hits to get the wedge lock things to pop out a bit then I just un threaded them by hand, sometimes it might take a little punch to get them to start unthreading. Thrust me this way works. Another tip, if your changing over diffs such as I was don't smack your steering arm too hard, I noticed mine had a hairline crack in it and junked it, doesn't matter much with the stock one though. Like others said spray the bolts with some good quality penetrant, I used Wurth Roost off, best stuff ever. You don't need alot just enough to get down inside there.

9. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

took me 4 hours to get mine off /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif yup big sledge hammer is the only thing that worked.

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On the top of the steering arm, back where the arm attaches to the draglink, theres a set of numbers casted into the arm. Use a 3# sledge and give it a couple whacks right on those numbers. I found that tip on this site. I tried it, 2 hits the cones were out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve when I come over we will try to get it off again ok. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Find a realy big hammer ok.

12. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

cool thanks everyone for the tips.

13. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yup...all of the above, main thing is having a BFH /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had to grind some on my new arm to get it to go all the way down, so you may have to as well...maybe /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Dont forget to snap some pics too /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had to grind some on my new arm to get it to go all the way down, so you may have to as well...maybe

[/ QUOTE ]

Mee too. I had to slightly enlarge the holes and grind the arm to fit around the balljoint

15. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On the top of the steering arm, back where the arm attaches to the draglink, theres a set of numbers casted into the arm. Use a 3# sledge and give it a couple whacks right on those numbers. I found that tip on this site. I tried it, 2 hits the cones were out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I soaked my with PB Blaster, and hit on this set of numbers with a sledge hammer, and it DOES work!! Good luck!