Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm lookin' to buy some weaponry...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 3, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I\'m lookin\' to buy some weaponry...

...And I don't know nuthin' about it...

I want to get a rifle, I'm not really into handguns. I used to shoot alot at summer camp as a kid, and I think I want to get back into it, plus, I want to do some buck/turkey hunting in PA next year.
    Since there are a lot of gun aficionado's on here, what would you guys recommend for a super-novice? Like, the only thing I remember even vaguely is shooting prone, with a single shot bolt .22, and shooting old-fashioned black powder prone. I don't want to spend more than $100 on the rifle itself either (I'm going to have to sneak a side job or two past my wife to spend even that much)..
    What brands should I look at? What are better rounds for logs as targets (I have a stack in my parents yard I'm thinking of using)? How about federal laws (or NY if anyone knows them) on using a rifle for recreation or hunting?

Also, what would you guys recommend for securing the rifle? I have two kids, and I don't want them to have any means whatsoever to be anywhere near the barrel or ammo ever. I think ideal would be something I can disassemble and store pieces in different safe's and locations. I'm real worried that if I have a gun and my kids get curious, they'll find a way to get it out of a safe or somehow defeat a trigger lock, so if I'm not 100% on a way to keep it safely out of their reach, I'm not going with it.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m lookin\' to buy some weaponry...

Hm kids
    All mine know that to even touch em is an ass beating that will lead to death.
    even so I have them disassembled. ammo is locked away from the rest.,
    That leavs me with the P85 that I carry.
    With the way that my pups are shaping up, guns will not be nessessary.
    at 4 months old they. are very teretorial and any one that gets in is on there own.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

$100 is not much of a budget to work with, you can get a used .22 for about that much, as far as brands, all my favorites would cost more than that. You could get a new .22lr Marlin or Savage Bolt action for about $125 or so, at least here in WA, don't know what prices are in NY.

As far as kids go, make sure you teach them about guns, education is key. A curious kid is much more of a danger than one who knows what a gun does, and what it is for. That said, I would definately lock up your guns. Don't put a trigger lock on it, I would recommend a cable lock minimum--cable lock makes the gun inoperable, which is what you want with kids, but not theft proof or tamper proof. I would also recommend a steel gun cabinet, which start at about $89 or so for a small one.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You hit it right on the head. Teach them about guns and what they can do. Also everything else he said is right on the money too. I think you can get a Marlin 25FS for about $125. They are bolt action and fun little guns. My favorite is the Ruger 10/22, but they are more expensive. I can get them in AZ for $140, but in NY you will probably pay closer to $190. They are semi auto, which can be fun to blow off a little steam, and have a little fun.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool. We've been teaching our kids right now that guns are dangerous, but haven't really gone near the recreational opportunites yet.

I was kinda afraid $100 wouldn't be enough... I guess If I'm gonna do it, I have to start with the safe, then look into the cable, then eventually get an actual gun... This may take a while to get into...

I spend a lot of time in PA (or hope to) also, so I'll probably buy stuff there, hopefully it'll be cheaper being a hunting area.

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I built a gun safe out of a old Electrical panel... They are very solid...I patched up a couple of holes and then painted it and put a lock on it... I trust my kids.. My daughter as been shooting since she was 6. She is 10 now... But she has a lot of friends over and I don't want them to get in to them... I maybe have $2000.00 worth of guns..(Not much) And I couldn't see spending $4000.00 for a safe... This thing works good... A burglar could get there it but kids can't....Dan

7. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

"All mine know that to even touch em is an ass beating that will lead to death"
    ---- i understood this well when i was a kid and never even thought about touching anything.

anyway like he said $100 isnt going to buy you much of anything unless your not agains .22's (very used) and surplus guns. you can get a russian mosin-nagant for around $60 and spend a few days cleaning cosmoline out of it and it only comes in oddballs calibers. id say if you dont want to spent over $100 go to a gunshow and look for the worst looking thing you can find and then try to jew him down.
    seriously the only way your going to get much for that price is to get real lucky and maaaybe find a winchester or marlin lever action in (very) rough shape. raise your budget to $200 and you greatly open up your options. if you like dthe black power you can buy and unfinished kit for about $100 and put eth finishing touches on by yourself. of course then you have power, patch, lube, caps, balls/maxi-balls/sabots, and a whole list of other goodies to buy for it. i think you be best off to raise your budget.
    as for locks, master makes some good gun locks. the key to them is to actually use them.

oh and dont use logs as targets. its a total waste of ammop and you dont get any better at shooting or have any sence of accomplishment. get some good paper targets and youll actually be able to keep up with how well your shooting.

8. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Your probably not going to be able to use your gun in the Yard. I know that even in rural areas here in Utah you can't shoot in a distance of like 500 yards of a building. Bullets travel a Long Long distance. Check your local laws, and find a safe place to shoot. We have a moral and legal responsibility for every round we shoot.
    As for safety, it's always a good idea to store guns and ammo seperately. Teach them to shoot and respect the firearms and they'll be less curious about the gun at home. My wifes dad took them all out as kids and fired off a .357 at a watermellon. When it exploded, he described that their head would do the same thing if they played with guns. Good teaching tool I think, though a bit morbid.

anyway...