Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Im looking at buying another first gen K5, what do you all think?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Feb 17, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Hey! Well as most of you know I have spent a lot of time fixing up my blazer, and dont like to wheel it all that much. I was thinking about buying a CUCV one of these days for a wheeler, but my buddy is going to be selling his '71 K/5.

Now I dont like to beat up the first gens, but...the body itself is not that nice to start with. The rot it minimal, he replaced the rockers, and it has less rot then mine in the kick panels, but theres rot on the outside quarter panel and one front fender. The back quarter panels are banged up and theres misc. dents throughout. Now since the body isnt that great, I woldnt feel bad if I got a few bigger dents in it.

It has a new 350 with around 7k miles on it, give or take, the th350 is rebuilt, shifts nice and hard, 44/12b, it has 35" Toyo M/Ts. The interior is nice, new carpet, original seats, tuffy console, guages work, roll bar, new gas tank, new front bumper, grilles decent. The top isnt in the best shape, but hes getting a new one along with all new weather stripping. Im sure theres more I fergot to list.

I think it would be cool to get (plus the price aint bad) throw some axles under it and it could be a wheeler, but still be decent to drive around. Heres some pics, kinda crappy, I took them with my phone. SO what do you all think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i didnt read your whole post cuz my head hurts. but to repsond to your thread title.... I love first gen k5's, buy another one... Some day i want to build another rig, and im thinking a 67-72 truck cab, flatbed, truggy style rig... or maybe even a real clean Stepside or shortbed of the same Era with 35 to 39.5 boggers strictly for dune running.

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Not sure what the price is, but if it's in your range and you think it's fair, go for it!! Looks like a good wheeler to me. :thumb:

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

how much does he want for that?

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Well, from the pics it looks to be in pretty decent condition. Definitely could be turned in to a nice one with not too much work. If it were me I would be inclined to save it - make it a nice driver/moderate trail rig and save the harder core stuff for a less desirable year. Course I'm biased having a 69 and a 70.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah its not THAT bad, but after lookign at it, I see more and more wheeler, instead of a fixxer upper. My K5 is already kinda nice, and its getting better. But I TOTALLY agree with you im biased too, about using a less desirable year *COUGH*SECONDGEN*COUGH*, thats why I wanted a CUCV, lol. If anyhitng id use it for what you said, dirver and moderate trail rig, still want a kinda nice lookin first gen.

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

buy it do a stock rebuild, buy a 2nd gen and bash it! they made em for 17 years instead of 5!:waytogo:

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That's four years by my count

And I count ninteen for the second-gen ... though I'm weird, and consider the REAL second gen to be 1973-75: new body style, and still no top. You half-cab people donno what you're missing :D

-- A

9. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

yeah math is not my forte! if you count trucks first gen is 6 years not 4:shame:

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd jump all over that thing. Looks like a great foundation for buildup.

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I'll put my vote down for NOT wheeling that 1st gen too. They're slowly going away and as many as possible need to be rescued.
    I think I'm going to start up a Save the First Gen charity. :grin:

12. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i do, drafty cab, no factory EFI, crappy AC if your lucky. :D just teasin. i love all blazers, but i prefer my 89 over the older ones. full conv. are overrated IMO. i've got an old 65 pickup to hotrod, no where near as comfy to drive. lots of fun tho.
    my vote goes for buying it, keep it as is or only lightly mod it, for mild wheeling. no truggy. get a 2.5 gen or better yet a cucv for that if ya want.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd say focus on finishing the project you already have....

Not a sexy answer, but think about what you'd end up doing to that "new" truck.....probably bigger axles/tires (can't have a wheeler with smaller tires than your "driver"!) More lift / More cutting....most of the ORD catalog thrown at it. Some beefier driveshafts....maybe a Doubler to give it some "crawl".

I don't understand the term "cheap wheeler".

I understand "cheap truck that I can go beat on until the first expensive thing breaks"....but for most people, that's not what they end up doing.

If money is tight (and isn't it always?) I'd focus on the vehicle that you already have that's MOSTLY complete. Maybe rethink a few design elements to make it just a tad more offroad worthy so you can enjoy it as a dual-pupose vehicle. You will still be ahead cost-wise over trying to keep two 1st Gens registered, insured, and fed with gas and expensive parts!! :grin:

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

Yeah Greg, I was thinking abou that too, finish my blazer. One thing is this has good interior, and I can put that in my blazer (id like to redo the interior). My blazer is at a point where its all good on it, and I havent spent a dime on it since I did the TPI. Runs fine, there havent been any problms with it in a long time, its reliable I can hop in it and take it wherever, as long as I have money for gas.;)

But then, I really want somehting to wheel, and it doesnt help coming on here, lol. I also am only 20 and I figure I have a few years to get another vehicle to wheel, I could just save up for now, and when its time, grab a CUCV. I dunno, ill have to think about this alittle more. I was skeptical about posting this, but Im glad I did and you guys were here to help me out. Thanks again guys, really!!:)

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

you remind me of my dad. haha. mr sensible.:waytogo:

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

so how much is your buddy asking for that thing?

If you wanna build a straight up wheeler that's gonna get beat... but still want to represent the first gen k5's..
    get something like this: http://www.craigslist.org/pen/car/60564984.html has a rusty windsheild frame and rockers..
    Pick up a rusty POS for $800, get some junkyard 3/4 axles for a few hundred.. let the hacking and bashing begin. :grin:
    I'm always on the lookout for first gen k/5's and sometimes i find quite a few for $800-$2000.. but the majority of them have 'beater' written all over them. :laugh: