Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm loosing it!! My tuneing ability that is>>>

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Burt4x4, May 20, 2002.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I\'m loosing it!! My tuneing ability that is>>>

Ok, on the way home yesterday my motor (350-Qjet-MSD-4spd) started up fine but NO POWER! It feels like 7 cylinders only. So I start heading home anyway and tring to get going takes alot of gas pedal work and higher RPMs than normal. Wierd thing is when I totaly floor it, after about 5second delay, the motor kicks in all 8 and VAAARROOOMM I'm hallin ass. Ofcoarse you can't drive home with it floored/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif So I doged is all the way home sputtering and choking and popping all the way home.
    I have been having issues lately with the ability to tune my motor correctly!! I can't seam to find the "sweet spot" were everything works nicly again.
    Anyone have tuneing step by step advise? Like do I start with air/fuel mix on the carb or timing or sparkplugs & gap?
    It did seam like I fouled a plug or have a bad wire????
    AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!
    My other thought is to talk the wife into a Crate383/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m loosing it!! My tuneing ability that is>>>

Hey if you want to bring it by i will help you tune it? I am pretty good and i have the stuff to do it. let me know.

jeff

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Really!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif That would be great to get some help with trying to understand all of it! I have been the only one tuning this motor sence 93 and I think I am missing something or just haven't been shown how to doit. Actually now that I think about it I have never had help with my motor. This is my first 350 too!! It's all my dad's fault cuz he moved to S.Carolina right before I bought my K5!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'm gonna swap in a new set of plugs to start with......

4. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

well let me know if you want to drive it across the bridge...lol... I have tuned alot of engines. I am building a 600 hp. big block right now for my dads 73. It is going to be my tow rig.

jeff

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my first guess is fuel. too much, by the sound of it. drowning, then it finally winds up enough to use that much, and it runs strong.
    accelerator pump? intake leak? bad gas?

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Heck ya that would be cool/forums/images/icons/cool.gif! Now the hard part...finding time! I have two kids and a wife so during the week is hard to do but not impossable! The best part is we are only 10min from each other!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Let me know what the best time/day works for you, like when you plan to be in the garage already type of deal then I can work it out with my wife...might have to bring a kid or two with me...
    anyway thanks!

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That is the same type of thinking path I was on......but it is all guess work. Would be cool to actually FIND a problem! Seams like every time I 'mess' with everything it goes away but never leaves compleatly!!!

8. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Well tonite i have class at the fire station and wednesday i am racing go karts.So any other day is fine i get home at 5:30 and am in the garage every night. I will be out there till 8 or so on tue, thur, and fri. i want to try and get mine done for saturday. so bring it on out and i will help you.
    do you have my address?
    jeff

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I will send you a PM...

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Burt,
    I would start with the ignition. Check all the plugs they should tell you which cylinder is out of wack. Do you have HEI or points? A cracked distributer cap or coil could be the sorce of your problems. Usualy a bad carb will affect all the cylindes not just one.

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have MSD electronic dist.
    I think it is a combination of both!
    THis is a cycle I get in every other year it seams!
    I replace all the plugs & wires,Cap & Rotor then clean and rebuild the carb. then get it running tweek the timming tune the carb tweek the timing a bit more and it runs fine...then it throws a fit again so spend more time and money....bla bla bla bla blaaaaa.
    Dear wife ~ Buy me a new motor please!!
    SLAP! Stop dreaming and mow the lawn!....yes dear (tail between the legs)....
    hehehehehe No wonder why I drink so much beer!!!

12. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like problems i have now and then to figure out what the hell is going on.
    From time to time i get a grain of sand clogging the needle and seat valve in my Holley. I just take it out and blow some compressed air to clean it out and then re adjust my float levels.
    I also have had similar problems with spark plug wires.
    I'd take out all the spark plugs and compare all of em. It is your best indication of how the engine is running and if something is only going on with one cylinder. See if your plugs are fouled.
    I'd also take an ohm meter and check the resistance of all your plug wires. not too hard to do and doesn't take that much time. Pull off the cap and rotor and check for burnt spots also.

I had the "seems like it's running on 7 cylinders" complaint not too long ago. Carb was part of it, but when i took the ohm meter and found that one of my plug wires was open... as in a bad wire with no spark getting to the spark plug.... "hmmm i am only running on 7 cylinders". Feels like a whole new motor when you get it dialed back in perfect. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!
    Good luck bro.