Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm making my own Beadlock rings: A few questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I\'m making my own Beadlock rings: A few questions

I bought a set of used Dick Cepek Radial FC 36x16.5xR16.5 tires. These tires need at least 10" wheels to run safely, but I couldn't find any (cheap) wheels that width.

So I decided to buy used cheap 8.25" wheels for $50 a set. I'm having a shop build and weld a 3/8" inner ring with 32 threaded holes and a second ring to be bolted on top of the first one sandwiching the tire.

Now for the questions:
    1) What diameters would you recommend for the rings, especially the inner diameters? I'm concerned about these diameters because I want it to be easy to air up, but I also want it to be large enough to protect the valve stem.

2) What diameter for the bolt hole circle? (or recommended distance from bolt to edge of tire).

3) What kind of weld would you recommend for the inner ring to the wheel?

4) Is 3/8" overkill? or is it worth it for safety's sake?

I'll really appreciate if someone can measure the distances in their beadlocks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: I\'m making my own Beadlock rings: A few questions

I don't know where you got your information, but to run safely 8" is better than 10" with those tires especially that you have the 16.5" wheels.
    Actually you could be fine without the beadlocks with those rims. Just what my experience says.
    I was running 10"wheels on my 35" tires and I switched to 8" rims and I can tell you I air down and do not worry about poping a bead, the rims hold on tight.
    IceMan

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that info. But the tires have a small notice printed on them that say "specified rim width 9.75" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and the shop has already started cutting the plates.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Specified rim width is not a requirement, it's a suggestion to the best tread footprint on the ground.
    And usually it's for regular street use, Off road driving should never be considered the same.
    Ask some wheelers about tire pressure and rim widths.
    Especially if you plan on rock crawling, you want the narrowest wheels you can get to protect the rim and the bead.
    Anyway good luck with your bead locks, I don't know much about them because I don't use them. Where I go you need bead lock on the inside as well as the outside, and I have never seen anyone do that.
    IceMan

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the shop has already started cutting the plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

little late for

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is 3/8" overkill?

[/ QUOTE ]

through bolts are much better then threaded holes strength and replacement wise

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status