Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Moving !!!! - A Cross-Country Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I\'m Moving !!!! - A Cross-Country Adventure!!!

Well.....it's finally happened. almost 2 years of unemployment, sky-high Bay Area living expenses, and my own desire to get back to "family" means that I will be putting my house (and "Man Space"!) up for sale in the next few weeks. I am preparing for the BIG MOVE back to the East Coast where I was born and raised, and where my entire family has been patiently waiting for me for the last 12 years! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm feeling pretty positive about the decision, and my wife and I are really excited about starting a new, simpler life there. Of course, we have a LOT of planning to do....so that's where YOU guys are involved:

(Here's the part that makes this post relevant!):

In addition to moving the contents of our entire house, there are TWO K5's and two cars that need to make the journey also.

I have a feeling that there are folks here that will be able to suggest companies that might specialize in these types of moves, or in vehicle transport, or maybe there are a couple guys here that actually do this sort of thing for a living?!

I have considered lots of ideas:

- Do the move entirely on my own. Rent a U-Haul, tow or drive all the vehicles, and make at least 2 trips cross-country.

- Drive/Tow the vehicles and have a company pack & move the house stuff for us.

- Sell almost everything and just start over!

- Find some other people who want to move vehicles at the same time and rent out an entire car-hauler for ourselves.

- Find some CK5 buddies who feel like taking a LONG road trip and helping me drive vehicles.

- Rent out my house instead of selling it, so that some other CK5'er can make use of the great workshop! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

- ETC.

Anyway, I thought I'd at least throw the subject out here, and let people think it over and make suggestions. I've got probably 60 days before "the move" so there's still a little time left for brainstorming.....

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m Moving !!!! - A Cross-Country Adventure!!!

Well I got quotes from vehicle transport companies before. Most of them wanted $800-$1000 to mave a truck from here to Texas. Plus there's an extra fee if the truck is lifted.

I know I'm not much help, but you can always leave a K5 at my house. You'll have to leave a set of keys in case I may need to move it to & from work daily /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Our family had a cousin's entire house full of belongings packed up and moved to Nebraska for around 800 bucks (Mayflower), they were continuing on to Boston with some more stuff, and they said from San Diego to Boston was around 1500 bucks. Saves ya the headache of doing it yourself, and when you factor in gas, time, etc., it is a pretty good value IMO.

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Greg, congrats on th move. We did kind of the same thing almost 3yrs ago without regrets. in my case the job opened up about 3mo. early forcing me to to drive the old 72K5 out alone to start work and find a house. I flew back got a U-Haul and loaded up all that would fit(this was the king sized one with a BB and allison trans) You'll probably find out that you have way more stuff than you could imagine. I did! We had to make a return trip the next summer when school was out for the rest, important things like my rebuilder 454 and other Chevy parts, oh and yes the car trailer to tow the wifes HeeP. It was a major pain and expensive! My employer reimbursed some of the cost but it still hurt the old credit card. Some of the trucks from the rental companies are crap. Our first one from U-Haul was great only 1700mi. on it but sucked gas. The second one from Ryder was a diesel had 30000mi got a little better mileage was gutless and kept over heating crossing some of the passes 9-10K ft and there was no engine braking to speak of on either (the allison would'nt allow access to the mid-gears). I guess what I'm saying is there has to be an easier way I just didn't find it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good luck in the Big Adventure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey, you know if your going across country, lubbock is on the way...... I'd suggest making one trip w/ everything somehow..... I hate driving across this state across country I couldn't imagne

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

If you find that it's possible to keep your house & use it as a rental property, you can count on me as a handyman/spy to make sure the place is kept up. Rental property is the way to go, but most people can't do it because they are so far away they can't keep an eye on their place. I'm sure we can get a few other people to help out with handyman type repairs & such.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Where back east?
    Heck I would rent two U-hauls and go for it with the two K5's( or the two you expect the worst problem out of) on trailers behind it. Then Fly back for the other two cars.
    Depending On where your moving from the living expenses is MUCH less that Cali I hear. I had some friends from Cali tell me my Hovel is a $400k house in some places.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In addition to moving the contents of our entire house, there are TWO K5's and two cars that need to make the journey also.

[/ QUOTE ] Do you have some family back east that could fly out and help ya with the move, and drive a vichile ??? Just a thought.

9. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

we need more people to leave the state... but not people like you.

I only met you a couple times but I thought your a hell of a nice guy..

Best of luck to you and your wife.

10. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Damn Greg! That's crazy news...
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I would rent/buy your house without even thinking if I had a decent paying job and was out of school.
    ANYONE THAT IS A POTENTIAL, TAKE THE HOUSE INTO CONSIDERATION!! IT'S PERFECT FOR WORKING ON YOUR RIG. "THE MAN SPACE" IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Greg, let me know if you need help packing and stuff dude. I would take the trip with you to help out but I don't think I could take many days off of work and I start school in Jan.

11. Greg72

Grimmy,

The exact destination is New Hampshire. About 3100 miles from here!!!

Housing should be a lot cheaper, though salaries will be lower too (wait, being unemployed means I'm currently earning $0! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Having the support of the family will be a huge emotional PLUS. My mom and dad are only minutes from where we are planning to be, and my sister will be less than 3 hours away...

I guess before too much longer I'm going to have to post a "roll call" for New England CK5'ers to find my new "local" friends for BBQ's and BS....

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I moved from Wisconsin to WA State a few years ago. My biggest suggestion is to figure out what you can take in ONE trip and sell the rest. I am still paying on storage shed space for stuff I could not bring the first time. That was over 2 years ago and I have not been able to afford a 2nd trip back to get the stuff. Would have been alot cheaper to sell it all and replace it when I needed it than to keep paying storage.

Also look for company's that pay for relocation /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It can make a big difference.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh your going to be a DAMN yankee! Heck I was thinking you were moving somewhere good like the South. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Family does make a huge difference and a understandable move. Undercoat the snot out of the Blazers.
    That will be a heck of a culture shock between the two places.

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

congrats on the move,although you will be giving up some of the best 4 wheelings spots in the us.you either have to know some people to be able to 4 wheel on their land or drive to the few private 4 wheeling spots and pay to go in there.i think i just need to meet the right people out here that know where to go.
    i did the move in 2000 from ft. irwin,ca.i had family help me drive a vehicle across and put my k5 up on a u-haul trailer.i hauled 21,000 pounds of stuff in the 27 foot uhauli think it only can hold a little more than that.plus had the k5 on a car trailer hooked to the back so i think that put me overe weight anyway.cost me 1800 dollars to rent the truck and the trailer plus food and hotels on the way(which we only stayed in 1 and drove 3 days strait to get to PA).ive done this trip 3 times and way always on a time limit,so it was not a very pleasant trip any time i did it.exspecially when i moved everything i had 2 dogs and a cat to deal with all the way on the trip.id say sell what you cant take in one trip and consolidate what you absolutely need to bring across.luckily i had just got married when we came across so dodnt have much time to collect parts and tools and such.i dont know what i would do if i had to make that kind of move now.with extra diffs and heavy stuff like that it would not be so easy.it seems like the longer you stay in one place the more stuff you seem to accumulate in the garage and basement and....well anyway good luck and hope all goes well with the move. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Greg, any chance the trip will take you thru Kans-Ass? I'm just off I-70 by 8 miles. Would be thrilled to meet with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Greg72

Wes,

I think the trip will take the "whatever is most direct" route....

I was thinking of posting my route once I figure it all out, and see if there are some CK5'er stops along the way. It would make the trip more fun if I could meet a few of the guys along the way....maybe have a little running "trip report" somehow (laptop computer, or whatever?)

Then you guys could do a "Greg Sightings" post if I happen to pass by anyone on the wide-open roads!!!

Kansas......? Now that's one of those square states in the middle isn't it? LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you go via Interstate 90, I'm like 2 or 3 miles off it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you decide to have a company do anything for you DO NOT USE GRABEL VAN LINES!!
    i have moved 2 times with them, never again. they broke more crap in ethier move than i have in the MANY moves i have made.
    lets put it this way, since 97 i have moved over 15 times. some SHORT distances some a few hundred miles.
    Grabel did 2 of them ond damaged as much stuff as it would have cost me to move myself.
    had GREAT luck with united van lines.
    Grant

19. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

WOW I'm shocked /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Good luck and best wishes bud,at least I can say I've had the pleasure to meet you... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif