Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm moving this weekend, and I got called for jury duty

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Sep 11, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I\'m moving this weekend, and I got called for jury duty

Is that an excuse to get out of it? What do I do? I can't drive 3 hrs to serve!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: I\'m moving this weekend, and I got called for jury duty

Call em up and see if it's grounds for being excused. I got called for jury duty last month and the day before I was supposed to go in the guy pled guilty...so I'm off the hook for the next 2 years.

Rene

3. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Call the number on the sheet and tell them what's up. I had to do this for my parents when they were in Colorado and I just got it moved back like 2 Weeks. Just tell them you've moved and if you must serve you have to do it in the county/city you now live in.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Call them up tell them you moved, give them your new address and should be good to go. Worked for me.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I had this happen to me a few years ago. Called them up, they said they would give me an extension, and I would have to expedite on getting my DL address changed, and send them a copy. Did that. A couple of weeks later, I got summoned again for another court in the same area, had to go through the same process.

A couple of months ago, I got summoned in my current county. Got to take the day off, paid of course. Sat around for a couple of hours until I got put up on the seat. Answered all the judges questions, he was cool, but the defense weenie booted me.

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i havent been called to duty once yet...and its been 4 years since i turned 18 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ow watch that i have said something i will get a notice in the mail tommorow

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Here's the thing about Jury Duty (at least in CA). You don't have to go. They don't send out jury notices via certified mail, so there is never any proof that you actually received it. Plain and simple. I actually went a couple of months ago cause I'd rather be there than at work. We were all sitting in this big room and they had some guy giving us the standard speech. One of his main points was that for all of the notices they send out, only about 10% of the people show up. That's my .02, but make your own decisions.

P.S. I showed up 2 weeks after my "date" at a different court room that was closer to my house. Bottom line, they didn't care, were just stoked to have another body in there.

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Tell then you are to ill at this time to drive there let alone sit there for however long it takes. They will dismiss you and take you off all lists.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Here's the thing about Jury Duty (at least in CA). You don't have to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd be careful though. I've been dealing with jurors the last couple of weeks and I've noticed a few of them have had letters stating "You missed jury duty on your appointed date".

Of course, as much of a pain in the butt that it is, if your called, you should not have a problem doing it.

10. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I'm not one for suggesting someone NOT take Jury duty, but you have a good enough exuse.

It should be easy to get out of Jury duty. Don't they ask you questions before selecting you as a jurror? Should just have to give them all the wrong answers. Things like "I'm predjudice against all races," or "I'm sure he's guilty if he is going to trial." Should be simple enough.

The bad part of a jury trial is, you are trusting your fate to 12 people too stupid to get them selves out of jury duty /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just show up wearing a " Just kill em all and let God sort them out" tee shirt. Works every time.