Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm new and need some advise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pissant469, Dec 2, 2002.

1. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

I\'m new and need some advise

I just bought an 84 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif(actually a Generic Made Chevy Jimmy). I am not that experienced in 4x4s. However i have done a lot of mud-ridin. I got screwed on the truck and had the motor locked 2 days after I bought it. So out came the stock 305 and I built a 350 for it with flat top pistons, a comp 4x4 extreme cam, performer rpm intake, 600 edelbrock, and a set of shaved 882's with 1.94 1.50 valves that I mildly ported and polished. The main reason I am posting is the four wheel drive doesn't work. The guy said the splines in the front drive are simply stripped. However he also said the motor was good. So I have a feeling the front diffrential is locked. If it is then i don't won't to rebiuld the weak 10 bolt. I eventually plan to lift 6" and run 35 inch tires with a spool in front and a locker out back. I live in south Alabama so there isn't that many serious trails or rocks just a bunch of mud holes and mild trails to have fun on. I was thinking of swapping in a Dana 44 up front and a Dana 60 out back. If you don't think this is the best selection for my setup then please e-mail me pissant469@hotmail.com. Thanx for your time and any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I\'m new and need some advise

Well a 10 bolt front and a D44 are near identical and everything knuckles out is interchangable between the two so why would a 10 bolt be any weaker then a D44? Yeah the tubes are thinner wall BUT that's not where they fail, the both fail with the pumpkin busting or ripping out the diff or pinion.
    35's is grey area on the front. Open it will do ok but locked your probably going to bust shafts from time to time.
    D60 rear is a good upgrade but a 14 FF is a little cheaper most of the time.
    The ultimate upgrade, since your already talking a rim swap, is D60 front 14 rear and you can pretty well handle any tire up to 44's. Most likly this will set you back about $3k including rims. (D60's are not cheap).
    Corse you could probably pick up a matched set of axles that 10/12 of D44/12 for $300-$500. Set of Aloy shafts and CTMs in the front and they will handle 35's no problem and your under diff clearence would be like a D60/14 on 38's.
    Ring and Pinion on a 10 bolt will set you back about $225 with set up kit. With 35's and the tranny your truck has you really need to have at least 4.10 gears 4.56's would probably be better.

3. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m new and need some advise

thanks man i appreciate the help someone had mentioned d60 14ff but i wasn't sure i think you just made up my mind