Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm new to this...tell me everything you know...

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mikey_d05, Jan 24, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, here's the deal. When it comes to radios, I know nothing. That being said, I'd really like to fix the problem. Here is what I would like information on. I'd like to know about basic CB operations. I don't want to have to get a liscence. What brands of radios and antennas are good? Are there any books I could pick up on this and save you guys some time? Is a weather band accesible from a CB? How about an emergency band? Whatever I end up purchasing will be used very minimally and generally on the trail. However, I would like a quality piece of equipment that will work and work well when I need it to. I apologize for the ignorance but as you can see I'm trying to fix that. :D Thanks in advance for all the help guys.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like a Cobra 25 would fit your needs. Check Ebay.

4. mikey_d05

What kind of antennas and mounting points do you guys recommend? it will be getting abused so I need something durable, and would one of the bumpers work so I could keep the overall height of it pretty low or would the body of the truck interfere? Like I said, I know almost nothing when it comes to this stuff.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, the body can block/reflect your signal. If you only plan on using the CB on the trail, I'd just slap a magnet mount antenna on the hood when you need it. I like the ball mount that go's on the side of the bed. But alot of people don't want too drill holes in the side of thier truck.

6. mikey_d05

Are you talking like a RAM mount or something? I have no problem with drilling holes in sheetmetal.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned