Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm not making you guys do my homework.....I promise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Jan 31, 2007.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

:D Just a little conversation starteer that's all :whistle:

Popular culture makes a lot out of self-esteem. There are programs to improve kids' self-esteem, and all kinds of books to help us think better of ourselves. I wonder sometimes, though, if it might not be a bad thing to be self-critical. After all, you could think well of yourself and have really high self-esteem but still be a jerk (or worse). A lot of important artistic, scientific, and literary master works have been created by people who were (or probably were) quite depressed. So what do you think? Does self-esteem "matter?" If so, how?

2. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Being comfortable in one's own skin can be a good thing. This is usually coupled with acknowledging one's own faults and dealing with them in one way or another. Artificially inflating someone's self-image is not a good thing, IMO.

There seems to be an overwhelming view today that we are all "special" and therefore entitled without having accomplished anything. I don't agree with this view. This tends us toward a self-centered society in which the members become less and less empathetic/sympathetic of others.

The following is not directly related, but...Theodore Roosevelt once said, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    Des Moines, Iowa, November 4, 1910 - I would tend to agree with this statement.[/FONT]

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Self esteem is a bastardized form of pride in character and pride in accomplishment. No, sometimes it's not OK to be you.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, fook pride! I think between pride and the inability to forgive, too many people can't get along in society. They do bad things like killing all in the name of pride and the unwillness to forgive those who have offended them.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Self esteem and pride are too differant things...

People need to believe in themselves, they can't be FULL of themselves...

I think there is way to much codling going on by school/ over zealous parents who never want there child to be sad. Of course you dont want them to be sad and feel discouraged, but if you dont you never learn to overcome.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think most people would agree with the idea that "self esteem is good"... the real question is 'how do you build it?'. The left thinks you should coddle the living snot out of kids (can't even play dodgeball anymore? please)... the right thinks that healthy competition at a young age primes kids for the "real world" better and gives them a chance to really succeed at something (as opposed to being protected from failure at all costs). Seems pretty obvious that the later is superior... but that hasn't stopped the continued liberalization of the publik skool "system".

kid-coddling is WAY out of control, no question about that. Think about it, the 2 greatest generations of Americans (The Sons of Liberty and the WWII grunts) had pretty crappy childhoods (early america, and the Depression) and look how they turned out? They changed the world and had (rightly) self esteem coming out their butt. Not because they were coddled or pampered as kids... but because they actually accomplished something.

j

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Forget self esteem, lets get the kids to keep it in their pants or stay off drugs/alcohol or get a job.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

ok, how about this one...:whistle: :whistle:

"Is it fair for large corporations to enhance profits, competitive ability, "bottom line" etc. by downsizing? Also, fewer middle managers means fewer opportunities for promotion. This could have a negative effect on morale. How would you handle if it does?"

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Couldn't have said it better:bow::bow: