Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'M NOT SURE HOW TO TITLE THIS POST - TORQUE CONV/DIST PROBS???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I\'M NOT SURE HOW TO TITLE THIS POST - TORQUE CONV/DIST PROBS???

Here's the scoop - I recently replaced my distributor on my 84 because the pins were worn beyond repair. Ever since I did this my shifts have softened a bit and my torque convertor seems to lock up easier than before.

I thought I may have knocked the TV cable out by accident so I reset it but this condition still exists. Is there ANY way a new distributor could be affecting the shifts on a 700r4?

You know how sometimes your truck just doesn't feel like it's acting <font color=red>"right"</font color=red>??? That's how my 84 feels since I did the distributor.

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'M NOT SURE HOW TO TITLE THIS POST - TORQUE CONV/DIST PROBS???

I don't think that should have any effect on the tranny - I'm not sure the ECMs were that advanced before the 4L60E's. Now you've got my brain feeling "not quite right"/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Can Can

Is there anyhting other than the TV setting that i could have knocked out of place or screwed up when I was back at the distributor??? Where is the torque convertor switch(??) located?? Isn't it somewhere on the firewall?

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You know, I really have no clue where the switch is - anyone???????

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The converter switch is inside the tranny. The wires on the left side of the tranny go to the switch inside.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I know what your talking about. A few years ago, I had just had my 700R rebuilt with a shift kit, and it shifted real firm out of first gear and firm throughout the other gears too. Then I had to have the distributor and carb rebuilt, and when they did that they also redid all my vacuum lines. When I got it back it had alot more go due to the carb rebuild, and distributor, but it didn't shift the same. The shifts where all softer. It didn't give me a good punch anymore when it shifted 1-2 unless I had it floored. I couldn't explain this phenomenon, so I just let it go. I thought it might have been something carb or vacuum relaited, but I really don't know.

7. Can Can

PERFECT!!!!!! SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm assuming that the softer shifting hasn't led to any premature tranny wear.......I'm also hoping that other than the new "feel" there's nothing else wrong.

Thanks for your input.

8. Can Can

Does anybody else have any comments??? If this "condition" can be remedied I'd like to know.......

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm a bit puzzled and far from a tranny guru, but keep in mind the tranny will shift differently and the converter will vary with the amount of torque you put out and also can change with other variances on the truck. For example my trans shifted harder after my lift... mostly on the downshifts, but it puzzled me so I took it too my old buddy who just retired and sold his transmission shop. The above is what he told me... so I guess take that for what it is worth. If all else fails run it by a local tranny shop and see what they have to say. Most will take a qucik spin for free. Wish I could be of more help,but there isn't anything else really I could think of that would cause this unless maybe you bumped the bracket for the cable or something. Good luck.

10. Can Can

So if my truck is running better(which it is!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif) with the new distributor and my torque curve has changed(which it has because overall I need less pedal to move), there is a chance that nothing has really happened to my tranny.

Would it be safe to say that maybe the new "feel" is a result of my tranny responding differently because my engine is performing differently? Does that make sense?

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If your TV cable is adjusted correctly. Which I assume it is than, yes the dist. replacement and associated timing of your motor may change the way it "feels" your probibly not holding the accelarator as far down. And thus. the feeling. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. haha!

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

yeah... basically... I guess it is hard for me to say without feeling how different it is. It seems like it wouldn't change for just a distrutor but who knows, maybe the old one was that bad.

13. Can Can

FYI, Mike, my old distributor had REALLY worn weight pins. There was tons of play under that rotor!!!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif I used to be able to throw 10 or 11 degrees timing into the old 305. Now with the new distributor 5 degrees is all I can give her........

A also feel a lot better about the soft shift thing. We got a ton of snow yesterday and after I engaged the 4x4 I noticed that the shifts felt a bit firmer. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that in 4WD I have to put a little bit more pedal into the truck, which kind of solves the little mystery/forums/images/icons/cool.gif!!!!

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

As for my tranny holding up after the change in shift. It didn't. But I highly doubt it was due to the switch in shifting. I am pretty sure it was because I wrecked my truck and tweeked the frame. I also blew the rear tranny mount, and then drove it home. I am pretty sure that along with alot of 3-2 manual downshifts (young &amp; dumb) is what led to that tranny's demise.