Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm not worthy...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Dec 4, 2000.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I\'m not worthy...

Well we went and played in the snow... about 2 feet of snow on baker mtn in Washington... ME and a few... ok 8 jeeps 2 sami's and a few land cruisers... but these things are built... I mean built for this stuff... were talking no doors... no fenders etc... just a full locking system, a seat and a harness... anyways... Were about to the top and my blazer is not liking the fact that these little jeeps are tearing up the trail and my wheel base is much wider... Oh there was also a big suburban too... a big one... he had the same problems I had... I found myself making my own trail half the time and them when I couldnt get up the trail anymore... I took several runs at it... I had to back down... :( Well in the process of backing down I had to turn around so i could head back when we got done eating lunch... Now when your backing up, guys, dont rely on your passengers... somehow I managed to back right into a big hole... Sunk the rear pretty much upto the frame (i have 35's and a 4 inch lift) SO I am now stuck... Oh it gets worse... I had to have a jeep pull me out... But hey he was one of the guy's in the club so I dont feel so bad... and It was a jeep that broke down first too... and 3 other jeeps got stuck after me so... BUt hey I found the perfect christmas tree while I was up there... and I'm goin next weekend too!!! Got some great pictures of the view and a few cool trucks... there ot K5's but they are nice lookin and built for fun... they go to the maob desert every year... lookin forward to that!!!
    No I just need to get a locked diff in the rear... Any ideas on a good cheap locker that I can drive daily???

Did you know if you get a good run at a 60-70% grade with snow your blazer can go up it... Mine did... after i repeatedly yelled... well you know... starts with a "sh" ands with "it"

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m not worthy...

You have several choices for the rear.

They are:

Mini Spool
    Lock Right
    EZ-Locker
    Weld it!

Welding it is the cheapest route with a Spool next in line. With the Lock right,EZ Locker and mini spool you just pull the carrier out and pull the spidar gears out and then install one of the above.

Welding it will only cost about $40 as per 4 Wheel and Offroads chart and a mini spool will run you about $120+lube and gasket. The Lock Right and EZ Locker will run you about $300 +Lube and Gasket.

I am going with a mini spool soon if you want to kknow which way I am going.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

What's teh difference between the mini spool and the others? Why is it so much cheaper??? And is it dependable?? I hear about these things breaking all the time???

4. Emmettology 101

You have a full spool and a mini spool. The full spool goes in place of the carrier and the ring gear mounts to it.

The mini spool installs just like a lock Right and goes inside your existing carrier where you spidar gears are(this wont work with a Gov-Lok carrier)

My friend has been running a mini spool for about 5 months now with no breakage and he has a huge right foot and 35's.

HTH!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

besy place to get one???

6. Emmettology 101