Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm off to go ratchet shopping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Feb 3, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's gotten down to the point where I now have a -4 (negative 4) number of 1/2" drive ratchets. I used to have two craftsman ratchets... they disappeared. Then I borrowed a friend's Craftsman ratchet... it ran away. Then I had to borrow a Popular Mechanics ratchet from another friend... and someone helping me yank some U-bolt put a breaker bar on it and broke it.

So now I need to go buy at least one Popular Mechanics ratchet and one Craftsman. It was annoying yesterday disassembling over half a truck without a ratchet. I wonder if theres a way to put homing devices on tools. It would be interesting to see where my tools do end up. I can imagine one of the ratchets sitting in a lawn chair on a beach in Florida somewhere on vacation :haha: ... though they are probably somehwre in my garage.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't buy Craftsman, I don't like Craftsman anymore. They charge too much for china quality. You can get Pittsburg tools for less money that are just as good or better with a lifetime warranty just like CM.

I don't use ratchets much, just wrenches and air guns.:D

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a Craftsman. I figure I'll break any ratchet I have within 6-months. At least I can keep trading it in as long as it doesn't run away from me.

I guess I need to do some searching and figure out who carries the Popular Mechanics brand.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

x2 or whatever.... Their ratchets suck. Knuckle busting POS's. And it gets old returning those. I like their sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers still.

5. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Lo-Jack for tools. What a great idea! It would've saved me about 20 minutes of time a few hours ago when I was looking for my needle nose pliers.

6. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

ya new craftsman ratchets suck. I got like a 240 piece set and so far the forward/reverse switch broke off one of the ratchets and another ratchet the gears are messed up barely works anymore, but the sockets are holding up good only broke one so far.

brad

7. Codeman96

Codeman96 1/2 ton status

Popular Mechanics? Wal Mart of course. I like their stuff comfortable to use and I have been beating on one of their 3/8 drive rachets for about 4 years now with no problems. I think they are warrentied pretty well too, you can take anything back to Wal Mart. :D

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Love all this "Craftsman is crap" stuff. My Craftsman stuff works in the heavy truck field every day, and the only things I have broken are 1/2" 12 point sockets from zapping stuff with the IR Titanium at full blast. My 1/2" flex-head Craftsman sees 300+ ft.lbs. every day on wheel bearing nuts and hasn't broken yet...and that even includes a 4 lb. hammer nailing it to get the nut off first.