Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm on a bus...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by B_to_C, Jul 16, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

That's right, i'm posting from a bus. Just thought I would gloat about how cool this is. I've been checking email, chatting with people, browsing CK5 all weekend. I feel like I'm the only one who knows this, so tell me if you guys do this too...

Verizon has this service called quick2net, it's a FREE service that allows you to use your cell phone as a modem (you do use minutes, but with free nights and weekends i've never been burned). All you do is pay $30 for the cord to plug your cell phone into a USB port and the drivers, and your good to go. for FREE, ha, i just can't get over that. The only drawback is it is dial up speed.

So this weekend I flew back to boston for a one night whirlwind tour, and I got online at the denver airport, then at my sisters house in boston (has no internet), then at my moms house (no wireless router) then in the back of my moms minivan on the hour long drive to my nephews baptism, then at the boston airport, then at the denver airport waiting for this bus, and now on the bus ride home :haha:

OH! Funny story about airport security too...

So ever since I moved to CO every flight i've taken i've been specialy selected to go through extra screening, so when the nice, plump, airport security lady starting demanding "What's in you bag???" after it went throught the x-ray machine, i wasn't really surpirsed. I started to think about twhat they could possibly be concerned about in my bag, and said "maybe it's my spare battery for my lapotop" "Nope, that's not it," she replied.

"What's in your bag, sir?"

I just stood there with a totaly dumb look on my face. So they swab my bag for traces of explosive stuff then tear into it. They rip out my law textbook (had some homework to do) and send the bag and textbook through seperately. Now this book is a good 4 inches thick, full size text book.

She come's back..."It was your law textbook, it was so big and so dense that we thought it was some kind of explosive material":haha:

Ha, that would be cool if that texbook would self detonate :laugh:

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Textbooks are the root of evil. hate those things. Insanely large and abnormally shaped for the quick and easy to carry time.

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've heard about that before. Did you have to order it online from their site or did you get it from a local Verizon shop?
    I have Verizon (had it for years and have been very happy) and I too have the unlimited nights and weekends so this might be a worthy investment.

-Avery

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a buddy that works for verizon we have used it a little pretty cool thing to do with your cell phone

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Do any of the other cellphone companies offer that?

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Old Nick.....ridin the short bus. :haha:

You should have said, "That's my law book, I keep the bomb at home."

7. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Not only is there that option.

But all major North American phone carriers have now released EV-DO which is the same idea, but highspeed.

You can either use a smartphone (pocket pc, blackberry, etc) or they also now have PCMCIA cards that just slip into the side of your notebook and dont tie up your cell.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a teather cord for my laptop, but if you use it with sprint they charge you by the kb which can get very expensive very quickly. Or at least that' swhat they told me about 6 mos ago. The ev-do would be cool, but the only place in La. that has it is NOLA.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We have verizon cards here at my work. There pretty nice if you in a broadband hotspot, other then that they kind of suck. I have the Iden cable for my nextel and it gets about 44k connection. It could be my works VPN though.

10. CustomChevy

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yea...$60 a month, and it's only in metropolitan areas (incidently also doesn't cover boulder, CO a city of 100,000 :confused:.) For me, that doesn't seem worth it, bc I pay $50 a month for high speed comcast at my apartment, and if i'm in a metroplitan area, then i bet there's an open wireless network that I could use anyways. And with the mobile office setup if I have a signal on my cell phone I can get online (I figure slower is better than nothing at all)

And avery, I just walked into the local verixon store and bought it right off the shelf.

12. CustomChevy

its definatly not worth it for the average person.

Personally it is invaluable to me, Means I dont have to be home, or neer a computer for the matter, when I'm on call.