Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm on leave for the first time in 2 years!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's right, I haven't taken leave since Jun of 2004. I've got 88 days of leave; 28 of which is use or lose! I finally got a chance to take some. I stayed up all night last night wrenching on the truck. Replaced belts, hoses, thermostat, rad cap, oil pan gasket, front and rear main gaskets, and a slew of other gaskets. I went to bed at 0730 this morning. Man, it feels great to be on leave. I'm not shaving for a while either.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm there with ya. I started with my agency back in March of '04 and I haven't taken a vacation since I started. I've taken days off here and there, even put in for maybe one weekend since then, but that's been it. Now I'm deciding just how much time I'm gonna take off when I go to Moab. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 2.5 weeks, though I'll be gone a week at most probably. Sad thing is that 2.5 weeks won't really make a dent in what I have saved up...................

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

We can only roll over 180 hours of vacation a year. You have to burn it or lose it. We can roll over compensation time though and people save that up. The big ticket item is sick time. When we retire, we get bought out for any accumulated sick time. There are guys who save up thousands of hours in sick time and get a big fat check at retirement for it.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

We're opposite. I'm around 200 hours vacation and another 200 for comp time, but we're forced to burn off comp time. This is the first month I think all year that I haven't been put on a mandatory comp day. From what I've been told, we can rack up 600 hours of comp time, but that will never happen. The best anyone ever gets is 300 hours. I don't know how much sick time I have built up, but I never touch it so if I retire from here, I should get a healthy pay check.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Lucky bastards, They took away our comp time at the elevator, Ive only worked there for a little over a year too so I dont rack up jack sh*t for vacation yet. I wanted to go down to blazerbash this year and just meet some people and see some sweet rigs, but I dont have enough vacation time. Maybe next year

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Lucky???????????????????????????

I have built very little of that comp time by working holidays. I've built the most of it pulling 12, 13, 14, 15 and I think I have a 17 hour shift in there somewhere. I'm scheduled to work a 10 hour shift. That's been popping DUI's 30 minutes after my shift officially ended. That's getting a call 10 minutes before the end of shift and spend the next 4 hours on it. That's spending two hours over on a DUI rollover, searching 3 foot grass right after a rain storm for passengers.

You could take that as whining, but probably 99% of the comp time I've built from staying late has been self-initiated stuff so I have no room to whine. It's been fun and exciting at times and I'll continue to love doing it, but on the nights that I'm tired and ready to call it a night and get a call, it can suck. Happened just last weekend. We were leaving our shift post shift briefing 30 minutes prior (the only opened restaurant at 2 am is 30 miles away from the house) to end of shift and as we were in the parking lot, we got a call for a suicidal subject on the tracks 20 miles away. We get there, spend an hour looking for him then 5 minutes deciding who was taking him to jail (he was just drunk off his ass). Partner had baby sitter coming early in the morning, I can whip out the paperwork fastest so it was me. I ended up getting home about 4 hours after end of shift.

That's the kind of stuff that has built my comp time.:D

And if you are wondering what the oncoming shift is doing, we don't have one. We are still backwoods out here. Our day is 0800 to 02/0300 (weekends is 0300) so if we get into something during the night, we have to finish it. If we get a call while no one is on patrol, we call someone out. The way that works is whoever is working the next shift and sometimes, depending on the nature of the call, they'll call the closest deputy available. It can be a drag at times like yesterday, I got called out three hours before the start of my shift (I was day weenie and I was sound asleep) to go look for someone on the tracks. By the time I cleared the call, I had about two hours before I had to go back on duty.

I imagine when the next illegal alien magnet moves into the area (and it's going to be county jurisdiction) our shifts will see a major realignment. Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be a couple of years before the county starts seeing the $$$$$ that we will need to expand for the population, so we will be playing a hard game of catch up for awhile...............................:D

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fly into Asheville, N.C. next Friday and ride Tellico with us. :laugh:

Or, catch a "hop" to Seymor Johnson or Bragg!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

lets see the growth when your done. and 28 days of what ever you want??? SWEEEEEET!!!you lucky dog.:bow:

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Comp Time Hmmmm I wonder what that's like:haha: I am always just told overtime is authorized, but I don't seem to get paid any more for it:crazy:

I do use my leave when i can though. I rarely go over 30 days on the books.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just for grins one time a few years back, I whipped up a letter and a request chit to get my overtime back-pay. "They" weren't as amused as my co-workers were.
    Hmmm... I wonder if that coulda had anything to do with me not getting promoted... :rolleyes: