Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm on my way home after 9 hours of work.... No I'm not <semi rant>

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, May 6, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I\'m on my way home after 9 hours of work.... No I\'m not <semi rant>

ok, so I clock out, and start gathering my stuff to take off after pulling network cable for 8 hours, and doing general maintenance over here for another hour... I decided to check my backup systems to make sure everythig was still on target and working properly... camera backup got behind because of lazy co workers, so there's a 4 day gap in the recordings. thanks guys... so, I check the server backups, and they havn't happened since about a week after I started working at the other site installing network stuff.... thanks again guys.

so, now I'm sitting here babysitting the damn server while it rebuilds the damadged backup sets, and goes through a backup to make sure it happens without a hitch. this ought to only take.. well, lets see the first of 4 that need repairs is still being repaired after an hour, with an estimated time of 30 minutes remaining... so, only 6 more hours until I can go home... or, in other words, it'll be 130 AM when I get to leave, and about 230 when I roll in at home, then shower, and clean up after the long day, so perhaps 3 or 330 when I finaly get to sleep, just in time for my alarm clock to go off at 430 AM.... christ I;m glad I get paid hourly tho....

anyone who wants to chat/keep me company while I babysit the server can ICQ me ( number 5143308) or AIM with me ( Ddragggon) or post to this thread... ( or goto the chat room..) I plan to be camping this area for quite some time....

-Rich

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m on my way home after 9 hours of work.... No I\'m not <semi rant>

Hooray!! just had the Macintosh equivelant of a Bluescreen of Death!!

wow, I think my initial guess of getting any sleep at all tonite was grossly miscalculated....

-Rich

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

oh man that sucks i hope you get good overtime pay /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The Bubba Ray has always found that a small application of C-4 explosives solves any and every problem that may crop up, except of finding yourself a lawyer.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

only time and a half for over time.... my `free time' is worth a lot more then that to me.... the only good thing is that I'm not doing anything Too strenious right now: just waiting for the server to finish loading up, so I can try to repair it again..... when the repair starts, I won't have to do anything, but make sure it doesn't die, and then I just have to make sure the backups go without a hitch, and then I can go home.

oh, and somewhere in there, I need to write an explaination to my boss about why I just picked up 8 hours of overtime ( the way it looks, I'm steaming full blast for 10 or 12 hours overtime)

-Rich

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, Hooray I suppose? I've finaly got the backup system running again, so now I just need to babysit it while it does this first backup... then, I can go find my bed, and get my much needed sleep. unfortunately, the backup set in particular is for the engineering department, and they've somehow managed to accumulate 1.7 GB of crap, (25,000 files) which'll take something like 2 hours to backup. joy.

time to go through the engineering share folders, and get rid of all the movie trailers again I suppose.... ( if one gets a neat or witty picture/movie/MP3 it gets passed around, and as often as not, piled onto the server several dozen times)

-Rich

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

After you get your paycheck for this week I think you deserve to go out and buy yourself a present. Something real nice that you have been wanting. Then you can think about getting it while you wait to go home. Probubly not better then accually going home but something to look forward too?

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Hey man, that sucks. Some "coworkers"........"fellow employees" might be better since it sounds like they aren't doing much work...........should probably get an earful.

I work at a small air freight/charter/aircraft parking lot/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif operation. We had an executive jet come in last night and the "important" guy told his pilots, "be back in a couple of hours." That was at 5:45pm. 10pm we're supposed to be closed, and the pilots were sitting in our lounge watching late night TV./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Other guy I work with told me to just go home. God knows how long he was there after closing time. Hopefully not too late.

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I always keep some movies around in the DIVX format for when crap like this happens. Time goes by a lot faster when your watching movies.

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

DIVX would have been nice, except this is a crappy Mac... even if it were new enough to try and play a DIVX, it'd still look/play/sound like ass. pretty sad for having elegedly been `the best computar evar for desktop publishing and artsy stuff'

oh well, deed is done, after 2 nights, and 20 hours of OT...

-Rich