Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm Orange, I'm Orange, I'm Orange (but I have a question too...)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

I\'m Orange, I\'m Orange, I\'m Orange (but I have a question too...)

Hi all yes after a little absence to the forums I thought I'd change my ways and see the light,,,, I'm Orange!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The question I have is...

I have a 10 bolt 2.73 (no laughing at the back, I like it this way) and as you are all aware the ring gear and diff carrier are shot, and I have had no joy in finding any parts here in the UK apart from a bad 10 bolt that I thought had the same ratio but it don't ( I think it's a 3.07) so the question is can I just replace the diff carrier/ring gear from the 'new' diff and place it into mine? or do I have to change the pinion as well?

I have tried my best to get the pinion out of the 'new' diff but It just will not budge... is there a knack to it? or am I missing something?

Other reasons for not doing anything else with the ratio is that it's how it's been built and I don't mind it like this at all and besides I don't go off-roading in it... and the other think in mind is that I just want it back on the road and know about not using it in 4WD coz of the ratio difference once it's done/if it can be done.

Thanks guys and gals..... I'm Orange /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Kia.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: I\'m Orange, I\'m Orange, I\'m Orange (but I have a question too...)

as far as taking the pinion out, take the nut off, and smack the end of the shaft with a 2x4 and hammer..it should pop loose..you wont just be able to drop that carrier and gears into your housing, you will have to set up backlash, etc..whats wrong with the 3.07 geared 10 bolt??