Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm pissed at Sears and someone needs to pay......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, been buying Craftsman tools forever from Sears. They always take them back no questions asked if they break. So, I opt to go with some Kenmore appliances. We had a Whirlpool washer and dryer that lasted about 12-14 yrs. before they crapped out. In October of 2000 we buy a top of the line Kenmore Elite digital panel washer and gas dryer. 2 months into the purchase the rubber edge on the lid falls off. I see that the holes in the lid are already rusting. This was a foreshadowing of things to come. About a year later I notice a lot of rust color on the rubber 3 inch wide gasket that separates the tub from the top inside part. I call Sears. They blow me off. I e-mail Sears, I get nothing.

Fast forward a year later since I was busy doing other stuff (should've thrown a fit then though) and now the rust is really running down the complete gasket ring into the clothes when we wash. I e-mail Sears and call and this time I get some response. That response? Sorry, out of warranty. Now the damn thing is oozing a blood colored rusty gel all over the place. To add insult to injury, the gas dryer just crapped out. So, both are in garage torn apart waiting for me to clean the rust off the washer, paint over the bare metal, and get a repair person to find out what crappped out on the dryer. Did I mention I'm pissed off? :mad: :angry1:

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I dont even know what to say... but that just seriously blows!!!!!!!

3. Desert Rat

There is a very small silver lining in this whole debacle. I've been on line doing research and finding out that I'm not alone with this problem. However, the second choice for a washer was a Maytag Neptune at the time. Seems now that the problems with that unit are so bad there is a class action lawsuit in the works. Whatever happened to making a quality product and standing by it? Glad I didn't opt for the Maytag back then.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Unfortunatly the fault now lays on your shoulder for not taking care of it when it was under warranty. Especially since the problems started early enough you could have done something about it.

I'd just go find the local appliance repair guy and buy a set of refurbished $50 washer/drier myself. They will last you just as long as a new set and you wont care when they puke out in 4 years :thumb:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You married, Kenny?

My then-wife insisted on the fancy-shmancy Maytags -- might even be those self-same Neptunes DesertRat mentioned ;D -- which she was welcome to keep when I left.

Me, I'm using my dad's old ones ... and as you say, when they take a dump, I'll make art of out of them and get new cheap ones. But wimminfolk is different (well, we knew this ... but specifically, they's different about appliances.)

-- A

6. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Know how the wife is about that but after you prove to her two good times that that 50 buck dryer that looks almost like new last for years and if you do a little preventative maintenance to it even she will come around to the idea. Especially if you get them from someone that is moving and they have to go. Get lots this way just leave your number and if it don't go they may call for that really low price. I have several books on them and do maintenance by trade anyway so i can find alot of people giving them away to get out of thier yard/house. Stoves are usually thermocouples bad and the dryer a relay or heating element either real cheap.

7. Desert Rat

Problem was, there wasn't much of a problem when it was under warranty. Isn't that how it usually works? The day the warranty runs out, the unit craps. However, I should've raised a stink far sooner. Then I might have had a shot at getting something out of Sears. It is interesting. I went and looked at the cheaper Kenmore washers. Same exact design inside but minus the rubber gasket. So, the cheaper model probably doesn't have the rust problem since there isn't constant water in the gasket groove against the metal. My solution will be to dab a little POR-15 on the bare spots, then paint it over with appliance paint and leave the gasket off. I'll just have to keep fixing these things myself as much as I can for the future.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Yep, my wife used to want everything new... Then I let her try to pay the bills with the money we had and now she will buy used deals more often then me (though I'm not married anymore so she has to scrape by a little more than before).

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

That does suck. Bet you will never let it go that long again though.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We just bought a Maytag Neptune back in October. What kind of problems are they having with those and where can i read about it?

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sucks... Probably a pipe dream, but maybe you could collect enough people with the same problem to do a class action suit as well. Although, class actions are expensive for lawyers, and if the only damage award ends up being a replaced washer/dryer, who's gonna foot the lawyer bill?

We chucked a pair of Kenmore's when we got our new Whirlpools a few years ago. The Kenmore were 20 years old and had sat in my basement in storage for a couple years before we had hookup for them, and then started leaking after a few years of use. Pretty good machines back then, but I guess quality has slipped some... The whirlpools are about 3/4 years old and the washer no longer does spin cycle well, the clothes come out still dripping in many cases.
    I guess I should bite my tongue on my old argument with Rene about new products being crappy quality...

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As someone who sells the parts , and deals with the repairmen , I will tell everybody the truth . Almost all companies are now owned by big corporations and are run with the sole intention of making the stockholders money . Nearly evryone is soldout and using cheaper designs .

Maytag = Garbage now . The only way to get a REAL Maytag anymore is to go to a commercial dealer and buy a commercial topload washer with 2 belts .

Front load washers = Garbage for any brand . Always had warranty issues on frontloaders , regardless of brand .

Any model with electronic controls = Garbage . Most repairmen and parts guys will tell you , buy the best model with actual lknobs on it .

My personal list would be , Whirlpool topload washer , Whirlpool dryer or OLD Frigidaire dryer ( never frigidaire washers they suck ) . Old Admiral/Maytag/Magic Chef fridge ( never there new ones ) . Old Whirlpool or Kitchen Aid Dishwasher ( I have a Maytag but it was free and I have parts ) . Any Microwave because they should be replaced as it costs more to fix .

As for the Neptune deal with the lawsuit , they made mold from day one and the controls crapped out .

Front load washers are really only meant for Laundromats where they are used so often mold does not have a chance to form . In a home they are used less frequently and then the problems develop .

As for the machine you bought , they are much better now , but still have a couple problems . Generally when a new machine appears you wait a couple years before you buy one .

Sorry about your luck , I would of stopped you if I knew ya . Next time PM the model numbers and I can look at them before you buy .

And for your gas dryer , does it run with no heat , or not run at all ???
    Run with no heat could be an ignitor , sensor , gas valve coils , or thermal fuse on the tube the heat blows into , mostly easy and cheap to fix . No run at all , I would look at the thermal fuse by the blower wheel , it cuts the whole thing off :k5: :k5:

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your old Kenmores , if it was a topload washer and matching dryer WERE whirlpools , and most Kenmore laundry products still are Whirlpool made ( old frontloads were figidaire ) :D

The new whirlpool you have most likely if the clutch is good , needs a motor coupling . Looks like a steering ragjoint between the motor and trans . Saves the transmission if your old lady overloads the machine . They can go anytime just because they are rubber and plastic :k5: :k5:

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Ya know, I remember you telling me that once. I have to get into it and check that one day soon...

And yes, the old kenmore's were topload and matching dryer.

15. Desert Rat

The dryer is a Model 11070072991. It has the digital controls. I opened up the top and found the diagnostic instructions. I ran a test on the panel and it seems to work fine. All the buttons light up and do what they are supposed to do according to the manual. I don't have an ohm meter (and suck at electronics too boot) so I can't go any farther on testing. If you choose the settings you want for drying, it accepts them and then when you hit start, you just hear a loud click in the panel but the dryer does not start. It does not start to rotate the drum.

The washer is a Model 20052994. Never had any problems with the digital controls. I have it apart now and am putting a little POR-15 on the bare metal spots to be followed up by some appliance epoxy paint. When I put it back together, I will swap out those cheap wire clamps for some good band clamps too. If I can get a few more years out of these, I will be happy. Then I will do a bit more homework on the next purchase.

Speaking of microwaves, my microwave has stopped a few times. In the manual they don't mention that there is a fuse in the back. It is one of those old style automotive fuses. Ours is mounted in a cabinet. I removed the whole thing and found the fuse. Now I keep a couple on hand in case I pop one.

I'll check that thermal fuse.

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I personally like GE stuff. But then again I like the cheap stuff that's as simple as it gets. Just my $0.02 worth ;)

17. Desert Rat

Had the repair guys out today. Turns out it is the printed circuit board. I suppose I could order it online myself and install it but I figured they gotta eat too so I just had them order it and they will install it. I'm still frosted that I bought a top of the line unit and now these headaches. The repair guy said next time stick with the lower end units. He said generally that the internals on most machines are the same and the only difference between the upper and lower models is usually the controls. I wish I would've done more homework before buying.

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad we went with the bottom of the line GE when we had to buy new ones this year. I just almost ponied up and got the front door jazzy stuff, but held off.

19. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Washers and dryers in general - I think we are paying twice as much for half the quality they used to be..... Our new technology washer will not stay balanced, been completely overhauled for 'puter problems etc.... POS

:mad:

20. Desert Rat

Yeah, I picked the repair guy's brains a bit. He told me that Maytag has gone down the crapper big time, but they are improving. He said the early Neptunes were POS but that they have the bugs worked out now. The problem was, they sucked at customer support which frustrated a lot of people and ended up in a class action suit. Kenmore is made by Whirlpool and so basically the same. He told me he was glad that I didn't get the very top of the line "Calypso" Kenmore with funky gyrating bottom with no center post. He said Sears has had to buy back 90 % of them from furious customers when they crapped out. His company refuses to work on them. GE's aren't bad, kind of middle of the road but probably more reliable if you stay away from the digital stuff. He also said that front loader machines generally do a better job of washing, are easier on your clothes, and are more durable. The down side to a front loader is that when they do break, they are even more expensive to fix than a top loader. Apparently front loaders have a more complicated motor setup. I think next go around I will do a front loader, with basic controls and stick with the gas dryer. I may even look at a commercial unit depending on the price.