Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I'm running at 155-160, Is this bad??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I\'m running at 155-160, Is this bad??

My 87 TBI 350 is running cold, now that it's really cold out. This past summer I did autometer mechanical guages and a Mr. Gasket "balanced" thermostat that is a 195 stat. From the reading in the head it ran at 185 all the time in the summer, but now that its in the teens all the time, I'm seeing 155-160. I am acheiving converter lock-up so it is running hot enough for that. I just like the idea of it running a little bit cool in the summer time to keep everything a little tighter in my 120K+ motor. Is this wrong? Am I being dumb? Or just plain lazy. I just don't want to be doing harm to the motor when I'm thinking I'm keeping it a little happier that if it was running at 195-200. Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Re: I\'m running at 155-160, Is this bad??

TBI Chevy's like to run at 195. The computer will dump extra fuel into the motor when the engine runs cooler.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

195 stat in mine and it runs at 180 according to the Auto meter gage. But when I shine my heat gun at the water neck it is at around 200.
    When it is cold out it runs at 160-170, but you don't dare put the heat on hot or it will run ya right out of the rig.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks guys, the guage is correct, it's a new autometer mechanical guage. I guess when I get some free time I'll put a new stat in it. I knew it would run rich and my gas mileage is horrible now so I'll do it. Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy